Show chip mem in ambient-bar and
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Elowan
    hello,

somebody have amiga like "Ram meters" in the top-bar (just simple text)showing Ram and chip-ram / free.

Now, I´ve found there is som Ram meters installed with MOS, but it is shown as symbol/icon.

I´d like to have it displayed as pure text, do someone know how to do this?
    12" ibook G4 1.33Ghz, 1.5GB RAM, ATI 9550 32MB, 16GB SSD, WiFi, BT, ComboDrive
  • »04.03.16 - 08:00
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    beworld
    hi,

yes you can edit the text of Ambient 's bar.

show Titlebar in http://library.morph.zone/Screenbar_Modules
    IMac G5 2.1,PowerBook G4 1.5,MacMini 1.5, PowerMac G5 2.7 died !!!
    My MOS ports
  • »04.03.16 - 08:10
    Profile Visit Website
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    Yes, the Titlebar module is one option, but you can also edit the settings of Graphicsmemory ("chip-ram") and Memory ("fast-ram") screenbar modules, so that they only show text.

Here's something about how to edit the settings: http://library.morph.zone/Getting_Started#Screenbar_Modules
    ...and to get just the text shown, disable frames from Display and Gauge Bar ("Frame: None" for both) and also disable fills from both (uncheck "Fill background" and "Fill memory bar").

I'm not sure what you mean with symbol/icon.. or are you using 3rd party modules like the MemoryGauge module?

[ Edited by jPV 04.03.2016 - 10:31 ]
  • »04.03.16 - 08:27
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    itix
    Quote:

Elowan wrote:
    I want this : built in MOS standard to look/act like this: (see top bar of the image)

I get your point, but why should normal user care how much memory is free? There is no such display in other operating systems...
    1 + 1 = 3 with very large values of 1
  • »04.03.16 - 08:58
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Elowan
    thanks for response.

hmm, in debian linux I got gauges for %usage of swap, hdd, memory and on amiga you also got Chip/fastmem displayed - I even got some nice rainmeter on my windows machine - so why not have it in MOS?

It´s just a "for fun" proposal, itix ;)
  • »04.03.16 - 09:01
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Elowan
    Quote:

jPV schrieb:
    Yes, those are the standard Graphicsmemory and Memory screenbar modules. Basically the previously mentioned steps alone should be enough, but here's how they were configured in that OS4 styled screenshot:
    GraphicsmemorySbarTextOnly.png
    MemorySbarTextOnly.png

Awesome !!! Thanks a lot!

now - where you got this nice boing ball from?! ;)
  • »04.03.16 - 09:02
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    Quote:

itix wrote:
    Quote:

Elowan wrote:
    I want this : built in MOS standard to look/act like this: (see top bar of the image)

I get your point, but why should normal user care how much memory is free? There is no such display in other operating systems...

And that's lacking in other operating systems! As an Amiga user, I've always been interested to see how much memory is free :) You can see if some program is leaking memory, or is it freeing it all, if it's time to restart OWB, have a quick look if downloads fit to Ram Disk, can you still continue to use OWB so that current downloads really fit to Ram Disk, graphics memory usage has also became important on MorphOS with enhanced screen modes and limited amounts of vmem, etc.... I look the memory amount consumption all the time in normal use. It wouldn't be nice surprise to be out of memory suddenly without a warning. Some programs can also bug and take all the free memory.. happens with SimpleMail when it corrupts its folder indexes always. And other operating systems also have virtual memory etc which might make it a bit less interesting...
  • »04.03.16 - 09:06
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Elowan
    heheheh ;) muchas gracias
  • »04.03.16 - 09:48
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    Quote:

itix schrieb:
    Quote:

Elowan wrote:

Other operating systems have swap and 64 bit and plenty of ram. Also they are sparse on information. And while the first things are nice, the latter isn't. Watching RAM is always important on MorphOS. Fast RAM and Gfx RAM (at lesat you kno why whidoe resizing/moving gets jerky if you see the gfx ram is low), too.
    --
    http://via.bckrs.de

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
    ...and Matthias , my friend - RIP
  • »04.03.16 - 10:41
    Profile Visit Website
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    connor
    Quote:

itix wrote:

It is there:
    Windows: Task Manager, performance tab shows memory usage

And even if there wasn none: MOS should not be just a copy of other systems but offer best information about itself to the user.

"THe others" have VMEM for decades (even back in 32 bit ages, not just since 64 bit processors are available), so they never run in this trap. We still don't have VMEM. In the end for an Amiga/MOS user it is not just "nice" to have it but absolutely necessary. Otherwise you run out of memory without noticing and apps like OWB crash but you can not save your changes anymore AND not free the memory so you have to reboot your system much more often. So the user MUST watch the memory usage and free it manually - regularly.
  • »04.03.16 - 13:25
  • MorphOS Developer
    itix
    Quote:

Zylesea wrote:
    Quote:

itix schrieb:
    Quote:

Elowan wrote:

Other operating systems have swap and 64 bit and plenty of ram. Also they are sparse on information. And while the first things are nice, the latter isn't. Watching RAM is always important on MorphOS. Fast RAM and Gfx RAM (at lesat you kno why whidoe resizing/moving gets jerky if you see the gfx ram is low), too.

Watching RAM is important on MorphOS because OWB can run out of memory even when you have max memory available. But only to let you know that you should restart OWB. It is not really relevant how much memory there is left.

Or when you copy files to RAM disk and you see from the status bar that your RAM is almost full.

In Windows when I am checking memory usage I am usually checking peak memory used by processes. It is much more important information...
    1 + 1 = 3 with very large values of 1
  • »04.03.16 - 14:35
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Jupp3
    Quote:

itix wrote:
    Watching RAM is important on MorphOS because OWB can run out of memory even when you have max memory available. But only to let you know that you should restart OWB.

Well, OWB will let you know when it's ran out of memory (but sure, might not always go down cleanly).

Most common usecase for me is, watching memory usage so that I can "restrict my browsing", so that I can avoid running out of memory & finish any background downloads.
  • »04.03.16 - 21:58
    Profile Visit Website