Grunch again...
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    TheMagicM
    Being a linux user, I'm spoiled. I've run many distros and one thing I've noticed is that package management/software management is excellent for the most part. Example. I run Debian and I can use its package manager to search for software, all kinds. Libraries, games, dev stuff, apps etc. One weakness I see on MorphOS is a software package installer that has absoloutely everything in it. I dont know what the aim of Grunch is, but I find it lacking. OWB is 1.24, but Grunch didnt find an update, I did it manually. New users that want to try out MorphOS would not know this. They would probably google and maybe stumble upon morphos files the website, maybe they wouldnt. I'm not knocking Guido's work, its bad ass, but I feel Grunch needs to be the go-to software installation repository. You want something, you go to grunch. We shouldnt need to search using google to find, if we're lucky, Software X which may or may not be the latest version. If not, open source Grunch so someone can work on it and we can find a server to host all files MorphOS that way we can get whatever we need using Grunch, all in one location.

If not, I'm just talkin out my ass. lol
  • »05.02.16 - 14:39
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > I feel Grunch needs to be the go-to software installation repository.
    > You want something, you go to grunch.

This depends on MorphOS software authors providing, advertising and maintaining a Grunch datababase (.db file) for their software ...or someone else providing and maintaining a Grunch database for all scattered MorphOS software.

https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?topic_id=9997&forum=9&start=4

> open source Grunch so someone can work on it and we can find a server to host all
    > files MorphOS that way we can get whatever we need using Grunch, all in one location.

Why should Grunch be open sourced for this? You can do this right now, i.e. either host all MorphOS software you can find on one server (would need authors' permission, and you'd have to make sure to not miss future updates) or collect the links to MorphOS software on authors' websites, Aminet, MorphOS Files etc., and (for either case) provide and maintain the required Grunch database file.
  • »05.02.16 - 16:15
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    TheMagicM
    It should be noted, or pushed more that Grunch is the go-to software installation medium for MorphOS. If you're a developer and want your software easily accessible/available via Grunch, then you (the developer of the software) need to make it happen.
  • »05.02.16 - 16:25
    Profile Visit Website