Virtual memory under MorphOS?
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    redrumloa
    The 1GB limit on this G5 is really starting to br a hindrance. I've encountered THIS ridiculous page. Starting OWB fresh with nothing else running this G5 runs out system ram before the page is finished loading.

Google search and searching here gives no answers. There doens't seem to be any MorphOS native VM software. What about old Amiga VM software? Anyone tried to use those with MorphOS?

[ Edited by redrumloa 03.08.2014 - 08:24 ]
  • »03.08.14 - 16:22
  • MorphOS Developer
    itix
    Old VMM for AmigaOS does not work in MorphOS. It was ported to MorphOS something like 15 years ago but it does not work anymore because of kernel (Quark) changes. So there is no way to have virtual memory in MorphOS.

But virtual memory is not going to help you even if it was available. 1GB RAM limit is because of memory mapping of G5 and since MorphOS is using flat shared address space you can not have more than 1GB RAM on G5, with or without virtual memory.
    1 + 1 = 3 with very large values of 1
  • »03.08.14 - 18:04
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Cego
    What is flat shared? And would it be possible to use something else?
    Pegasos II G4 @1.0GHz, 1GB DDR Ram, Radeon 9200Pro, 240GB SSD+160GB HD, MorphOS 3.18, AmigaOS4.1 FE, Debian 8
  • »03.08.14 - 18:07
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Amigaharry2
    Quote:

redrumloa schrieb:
    The 1GB limit on this G5 is really starting to br a hindrance. I've encountered THIS ridiculous page. Starting OWB fresh with nothing else running this G5 runs out system ram before the page is finished loading.

Very strange - there is about 700MB free RAM on mei PEG2, after loading this page complete.....
    Peg2, 3xPowerMac G5, 2xPowerbookG4, 2x MacMiniG4, Efika (again), A3000T and life is never boring.....
  • »03.08.14 - 19:16
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    redrumloa
    Quote:

Amigaharry2 wrote:
    Quote:

redrumloa schrieb:

Very strange - there is about 700MB free RAM on mei PEG2, after loading this page complete.....

Using OWB? With all embedded pictures and Youtube?
  • »03.08.14 - 19:50
  • MorphOS Developer
    itix
    Quote:

Cego wrote:
    What is flat shared?

Flat: continuous memory (not segmented) which can be addressed by single integer starting from 0 to 4GB minus one. (Does not matter on Amiga, this is just x86 mumbo jumbo.)

Shared: there is single 4GB address space divided to IO, kernel, VRAM and RAM or virtual RAM. All remaining address space that is not used by others (IO, kernel, VRAM) can be used by RAM or virtual RAM. On G5 there is 1GB remaining and if you have 1GB RAM there is nothing left to virtual RAM. If you had 512 MB RAM only then there would be another 512 MB available to virtual memory but it is better have 1 GB RAM at once.

Quote:

And would it be possible to use something else?

By using isolated address spaces the system could use more physical RAM. This solution is not backward compatible.

Or reduce space used by IO, kernel and VRAM but how it works is beyond my knowledge.

Or switch to full 64-bit addressing but it is not backward compatible and not going to happen on PPC.

(I hope I am not completely wrong... :)
  • »03.08.14 - 20:29
    Kronos
    Quote:

redrumloa wrote:

Just tried and RAM useage didn't go over 45% (so I'd say 300MB seems fair as I had other stuff running).

May have something to do with OWB-settings and/or UTube cookies....
  • »03.08.14 - 21:19
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    Quote:

itix schrieb:

Shared: there is single 4GB address space divided to IO, kernel, VRAM and RAM or virtual RAM. All remaining address space that is not used by others (IO, kernel, VRAM) can be used by RAM or virtual RAM. On G5 there is 1GB remaining and if you have 1GB RAM there is nothing left to virtual RAM. If you had 512 MB RAM only then there would be another 512 MB available to virtual memory but it is better have 1 GB RAM at once.

But is there a way to optimze the I/O, kernel, VRAM address things on G5 to the G4 level? I think that additional 500 MB do offer quite something, as I need to watch memory consumption on my Mini (1GB), but not on my powerbook (1.5 GB).
    --
    http://via.bckrs.de

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
    ...and Matthias , my friend - RIP
  • »03.08.14 - 22:37
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    redrumloa
    Quote:

Kronos wrote:
    Quote:

redrumloa wrote:

Just tried and RAM useage didn't go over 45% (so I'd say 300MB seems fair as I had other stuff running).

May have something to do with OWB-settings and/or UTube cookies....

You are using a Quicksilver G4, right? What settings do you suspect? I haven't changed many OWB settings besides spoofing as Chrome.

Anyone reading with a G5 try this?
  • »03.08.14 - 23:03
  • MorphOS Developer
    itix
    Quote:

Zylesea wrote:
    But is there a way to optimze the I/O, kernel, VRAM address things on G5 to the G4 level? I think that additional 500 MB do offer quite something, as I need to watch memory consumption on my Mini (1GB), but not on my powerbook (1.5 GB).

I dont know. I have no enough experience with that.
  • »04.08.14 - 00:28
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    danwood
    Quote:

redrumloa wrote:

Urgg, you're not kidding, dreadfully heavy page design, it brought my ipad to its knees as well, I dread to think what loading it over 3G would be like.
  • »04.08.14 - 01:14
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Tom01
    My Mac mini with 1 GB ram runs ot of memory when scrolling down to number 56 iirc.
  • »04.08.14 - 14:19
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    redrumloa
    Quote:

Tom01 wrote:
    My Mac mini with 1 GB ram runs ot of memory when scrolling down to number 56 iirc.

I wonder if those who saw the page load actually scrolled down?
  • »04.08.14 - 14:37
    connor
    Quark schould be much more modern than Exec. So if it worked with Exec, is there no way then to offer VMM with Quark? Is there any way to make VMM available for at least newer software? I think we would already benefit if software that is currently developed could make use of it.
  • »07.01.16 - 14:03
    BSzili
    It's not about Quark being modern or not, but the limited use of VMM. It won't give you more memory if you have already saturated your address space (~2GB) with physical RAM and other memory mapped devices. This is probably the reason why no developer is interested in porting it.
    This is just like television, only you can see much further.
  • »07.01.16 - 14:29
    Profile Visit Website
    connor
    Many of us have Mac minis, Pegasos, Efika where you can use only 1GB or less. So compiling new applications using VMM should benefit from it. Even if there is a fixed size limitation to 2GB, no matter if the memory is virtual or physical, this will at least give double memory or much more to many current systems.
  • »07.01.16 - 15:44
  • MorphOS Developer
    geit
    Quote:

connor wrote:
    Many of us have Mac minis, Pegasos, Efika where you can use only 1GB or less. So compiling new applications using VMM should benefit from it. Even if there is a fixed size limitation to 2GB, no matter if the memory is virtual or physical, this will at least give double memory or much more to many current systems.

It would have made sense years ago. Now it is to late.

OWB is the only application needing so much memory and the afford is not worth the result. Even with 2GB or 1.5GB of memory you run into trouble. Just quit and restart OWB when memory gets low.

There also wont be a crappy solution paging upper memory banks around. That would be an insane solution.

NG is the only path we should follow. Software won´t use less memory in the future. So even the 2GB limit will not enough in the future.

Better spent any available developer time on the real thing for a real future and not just enhance the lifespan for a few month.
  • »07.01.16 - 16:20
    connor
    Dealing with many images, videos, Blender, Mplayer etc. also needs a lot of RAM. If just that "real thing" is not 4 or 5 years ahead ...
  • »07.01.16 - 17:25
    BSzili
    Quote:

connor wrote:

I understand what you are saying, I also have 1 GB in both of my machines. Since RAM is not the only memory mapped device, the maximum RAM you can have access to is 1.5 GB (except for the G5). I'm not trying to nitpick here, getting an extra 512 MB would still be useful. That's why I said it would have limited use, and not no use.
  • »07.01.16 - 18:30
    Profile Visit Website
    Stevo
    Quote:

BSzili wrote:
    Quote:

connor wrote:

I understand what you are saying, I also have 1 GB in both of my machines. Since RAM is not the only memory mapped device, the maximum RAM you can have access to is 1.5 GB (except for the G5). I'm not trying to nitpick here, getting an extra 512 MB would still be useful. That's why I said it would have limited use, and not no use.

G5's do 1.5 GB as well since...3.9 I suppose?
    ---
    http://www.iki.fi/sintonen/logs/its_only_football.txt
  • »07.01.16 - 19:14
    BSzili
    Quote:

Stevo wrote:
    Quote:

BSzili wrote:
    Quote:

connor wrote:

You are absolutely right, it's been there since 3.8 in fact.
  • »07.01.16 - 19:46
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    Quote:

BSzili schrieb:
    Quote:

Stevo wrote:

You are absolutely right, it's been there since 3.8 in fact.

And rumours (Neuss) have it 3.10 will support a maximum of 1.7 available GiB.
    --
    http://via.bckrs.de

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
    ...and Matthias , my friend - RIP
  • »07.01.16 - 22:13
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > rumours (Neuss) have it 3.10 will support a maximum of 1.7 available GiB.

Already confirmed by a MorphOS Team member:

https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?forum=3&topic_id=11382&start=30
  • »07.01.16 - 22:42