Network Printer issues...
  • Just looking around
    I have started this question in my first thread which was just saying hi.
    https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?topic_id=11292&forum=3#120221

Thought I would expand on this question, since I have issues with getting it to work.

Ok. So I have done some research (Lots of googling, etc) and with trial and error I have my Brother MFC-465CN able to be pinged.

Here is what I have done so far. The Printer (Brother MFC-465CN) was setup for use with TCP/IP.
    So from my MIni I have been able to ping my other PC's, Router, and Printer. Which means I am on the network (Good)

Settings in my Network (MorphOS Prefs) are setup as: Wireless using DHCP (Network Interfaces). Under Host and DNS I have : nothing right now. But I have tried entering my Router gateway into the Primary. It does the same whether the Primary has my Gateway or it does not. And I have not done anything with the Advanced Tab.

Under Netprinter Prefs (MorphOS): Hostname or IP: is set to my printer's IP. Protocol: I have tried both Direct and LPR. Both have the same effect as what I am getting.

Settings in my Printer (MorphOS) are: I have been trying just some HP Deskjet 550c, LaserJet4, LaserJet6series. On the right of the that I have Device selected as the port. And I have typed in netprinter.device and it has unit 0 selected. Print to file is Unchecked. No other preferences are set in Printer (other than what the defaults are).

Now when I go to print something. I load up (example) a pdf file and click print. Under the Driver section of the window it has Printer Preferences and just below that is a checkmark next to PostScript. Now with the postscript checked (as it is for default). I do not get anything. My printer does not even acknowledge a signal. If I uncheck postscript and print again. My printer will wake up and say it is receiving (in it's LCD window), but then does not print anything.

So I am looking for help as to what to try next. I am thinking that it might be the printer driver that I am choosing. Do you think that my printer does not accept Postscript? Since it will do nothing at all when I send it that way.

Please help
  • »02.08.15 - 03:39
  • Just looking around
    Ok. So upon further research. I believe I found the problem. Hopefully someone can go into more detail on what is actually going on. But as found here:

http://crawlspace.org.uk/artefact/artefact.php?artefact=104&view=21

It seems as though my printer does not support Postscript. And only uses the Cups wrapper. Which from what I have found, has not been implemented into the Morphos system yet. Is this correct?

If I am wrong, please correct me and give me any ideas you can.

Thank you.
  • »02.08.15 - 06:49
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Amigaharry2
    You're right.
    If you want to printout Postscript to your printer use Turboprint's PS: device instead.
    TP is able to convert Postscript to bitmap useing Ghostscript.
    First install Ghostscript (http://morphos-files.net/find.php?find=ghostscript), then set in Printer-Prefs Printer/Postscript:

Buffer: 8000
    Command Line: GS:bin/gs -sDEVICE=tp24 -q
    Temp Dir: RAM

Thats all. Now you may print Postscript directly to PS:

Don't forget to set a propper driver for your printer in TP-Prefs.....

[ Editiert durch Amigaharry2 02.08.2015 - 14:46 ]
    Peg2, 3xPowerMac G5, 2xPowerbookG4, 2x MacMiniG4, Efika (again), A3000T and life is never boring.....
  • »02.08.15 - 08:48
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    And if you would have a PostScript capable printer, then you should change the output device from VPDF, OWB etc, if you want to directly print with PS without using Ghostscript. Output setting should be changed to PRT: or better NETPAR: (you have to mount it first (in user-startup for example), but it's faster than PRT:).
  • »02.08.15 - 09:39
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    Nadir
    Quote:

jPV wrote:
    And if you would have a PostScript capable printer, then you should change the output device from VPDF, OWB etc, if you want to directly print with PS without using Ghostscript. Output setting should be changed to PRT: or better NETPAR: (you have to mount it first (in user-startup for example), but it's faster than PRT:).

And there are of course applications that do not support postscript printing at all. This is for instance the case with Scribble (at least at the moment) and then you need to use normal turboprinting.
  • »02.08.15 - 12:25
  • MorphOS Developer
    geit
    Quote:

My printer will wake up and say it is receiving (in it's LCD window), but then does not print anything.

My brother fax react the same when printing via PageStream on Amithlon.

It seems it expects a FormFeed at the end to pintout the page, which is not send.

I do simply wait till the data transfer is finished and then push abort on the printer.

My MFC7220n is dumping what is left in memory, which is usually just the page send.

This does not happen when printing from shell oder e.g. GoldEd/CubicIDE. You can try

Echo "Test text" >NETPAR:

if your printer is using a similar server than my one, it should simply print the text.
  • »02.08.15 - 17:38
  • Just looking around
    Thank you all for the advice. I think I have found this issue and unfortunately it is my printer. It does not speak any of the languages that are needed for PS. Netpar. or PRT to use. It does not understand PS (found that out by reading a website that someone was trying to make it work for something else). Also does not understand PCL5 or PCL6. So for my Brother computer it will be a no go. :(

But on the other hand, I have an idea I would like to run by everyone and get some input. I have an old HP Deskjet (I believe) 520 or 550. Runs just off of the parallel connection. But it did work with my Amiga (about 15 years ago). I just held onto it. :) So I was thinking about getting a parallel to network adapter. Like so:

http://www.amazon.com/TL-PS110P-parallel-ethernet-Internet-Printing/dp/B003CFATR4/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top?ie=UTF8

And then hooking it up to my network to allow me to print from my morphos machines and my amigas. That is if the printer still works. Time to get it out of the retirement.

Does this sound like something that would work?

As I have stated. I have tried all of your advice before I made this conclusion. I did get ghostscript installed and configured. So now when I try to print PS: the printer will at least wake up and say it is receiving. But I believe without the proper PS or PCL5 or 6 language it does not know what to do with the information as it is getting it. It is either that or there is no proper driver even made for my printer to work with morphos. I am still very new to using this os, so please forgive me if I sound like such a Noob. I try my best to do most of my research before I post questions. :)
  • »05.08.15 - 03:25
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > I did get ghostscript installed and configured. So now when I try to print PS: the printer
    > will at least wake up and say it is receiving. But I believe without the proper PS or
    > PCL5 or 6 language it does not know what to do with the information as it is getting it.

Ghostscript is for when the printer does not speak PostScript.
  • »05.08.15 - 13:34
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Amigaharry2
    "Does this sound like something that would work?"

Yes, I have a similar device working with a (very) old Seikosha SL92.......
    Peg2, 3xPowerMac G5, 2xPowerbookG4, 2x MacMiniG4, Efika (again), A3000T and life is never boring.....
  • »05.08.15 - 13:59
  • Just looking around
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    > I did get ghostscript installed and configured. So now when I try to print PS: the printer
    > will at least wake up and say it is receiving. But I believe without the proper PS or
    > PCL5 or 6 language it does not know what to do with the information as it is getting it.

Ghostscript is for when the printer does not speak PostScript.

Ah I understand. My bad. Well then, I think the problem then is... there is no device driver setup for my printer, I will try to go through the rest of the printer drivers that I have just to see if any of them will make it do something. But I think that without the actual driver for this printer. I will be out of luck making this one work.

I will keep everyone posted on my findings.
  • »06.08.15 - 06:15
  • Just looking around
    Well Good news and bad news.

Good News: My HP 520 is out of storage and working great. I did purchase the parallel to ethernet print server. Which by the way, works great!!! Highly recommend. At least I knew I had all my settings right. All I had to do was select the correct printer driver. Now everything works. whether it is regular printing or postscript printing via ghostscript. It all seems to be working great.

Bad News: My Brother MFC-465CN printer seems to be one of the many winprinters out there. Also, there is not a driver that I have found that will make that printer function. Oh well. At least I have one that does work.

Also, Been thinking about getting a laserjet printer. Possibly a HP 1100. Has anyone ran one with MorphOS? If so which driver have you used?

Thanks again to everyone for all the help and advice to get this up an running. :-)
  • »09.08.15 - 07:19
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Amigaharry2
    I am useing a HP 1515n - so I cannot speak for the T1100.
    But the user manual to the 1100 says:
    If it is a T1100ps it will understand PS, PCL3, HPGL and some more.......should work!
    Manual: http://h20566.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/template.PAGE/action.process/public/psi/manualsDisplay/?sp4ts.oid=3338887&javax.portlet.action=true&spf_p.tpst=psiContentDisplay&javax.portlet.begCacheTok=com.vignette.cachetoken&spf_p.prp_psiContentDisplay=wsrp-interactionState%3DdocId%253Demr_na-c00912541%257CdocLocale%253Dde_DE&javax.portlet.endCacheTok=com.vignette.cachetoken

[ Editiert durch Amigaharry2 09.08.2015 - 20:56 ]
  • »09.08.15 - 20:56
  • Just looking around
    Quote:

Amigaharry2 wrote:
    I am useing a HP 1515n - so I cannot speak for the T1100.
    But the user manual to the 1100 says:
    If it is a T1100ps it will understand PS, PCL3, HPGL and some more.......should work!
    Manual: http://h20566.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/template.PAGE/action.process/public/psi/manualsDisplay/?sp4ts.oid=3338887&javax.portlet.action=true&spf_p.tpst=psiContentDisplay&javax.portlet.begCacheTok=com.vignette.cachetoken&spf_p.prp_psiContentDisplay=wsrp-interactionState%3DdocId%253Demr_na-c00912541%257CdocLocale%253Dde_DE&javax.portlet.endCacheTok=com.vignette.cachetoken

[ Editiert durch Amigaharry2 09.08.2015 - 20:56 ]

Great News!! I just had purchased one. I will post when it arrives and the status of testing. :-)

Thanks for the info.
  • »10.08.15 - 02:43
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    >> Been thinking about getting a laserjet printer. Possibly a HP 1100.

> the user manual to the 1100 says: If it is a T1100ps it will understand
    > PS, PCL3, HPGL and some more.......should work!

LaserJet 1100 and DesignJet T1100 are completely different things. One difference is several thousand Euros.
  • »10.08.15 - 20:52
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Amigaharry2
    The HP1100 supports only PCL5 - but should also work ......(withTP)
  • »11.08.15 - 12:57
  • Just looking around
    Quote:

Amigaharry2 wrote:
    The HP1100 supports only PCL5 - but should also work ......(withTP)

I hope so as I am just waiting on it to show up. I would think it should work the same as my HP 520. From what I have found from internet searching is that neither the HP 520 or the HP 1100 have postscript capabilities. They both support PCL language. The HP 520 deskjet supports PCL 3 language and the HP 1100 Laser supports PCL 5 language. Not too sure what the difference is between the PCL 3 and 5 language but I think it should work. I do have TP configured on my MorphOS system (default settings that came with MorphOS3.9). As well as Ghostscript and Netprinter installed on MorphOS. But I do not have TP setup with my Amigas. I just have Ghostscript and Netprinter setup with the Amiga's, and it prints fine.

I do know that I can use the HP 1100 on an Amiga. That is what AmigaKit uses for their amiga's. So I am hopeful that it will work for MorphOS as well. Since I am looking for this printer to be an all around printer for my MorphOS systems and Amiga systems. :-)

So I am hopeful!! Find out in a few days
  • »13.08.15 - 00:43
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Amigaharry2
    Do you have no TP on your Amigas or only no setup? Because TP on Classic-Amiga supports PS: - device too.......
    Netprinter-device is also available under OS3.x.......

[ Editiert durch Amigaharry2 13.08.2015 - 06:38 ]
  • »13.08.15 - 06:37
  • Just looking around
    Quote:

Amigaharry2 wrote:
    Do you have no TP on your Amigas or only no setup? Because TP on Classic-Amiga supports PS: - device too.......
    Netprinter-device is also available under OS3.x.......

[ Editiert durch Amigaharry2 13.08.2015 - 06:38 ]

No actually I do not have TP on my amiga's. Or I should say at least as of yet. I did end up purchasing TP 7.60. Waiting for it to show up so I can install.

But as I said, with my HP 520 I can priint from my amiga's just using the amiga printer driver for HP520 and ghostscript. I don't understand how it all works, but it works great so far. But ghostscript has to be installed for some programs to print from. I do not remember right now which ones needed it to print. But I am using AmigaOS3.9 for that.

I must say, setting up my MorphOS printing was a lot easier in my mind. :-)
  • »17.08.15 - 02:42
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Amigaharry2
    You need Ghostscript only for programs, which are only able to print postscrript. Ghostscript converts postscript to bitmap, which TP (or Amiga WB-printerdriver?) can understand.... Those progs are for eg. APDF, OWB, etc. Most of the others (Pagestrean, Finalwriter, etc.) can do both: bitmap and postscript.....
  • »17.08.15 - 13:40