Scribble strange behavior
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    tolkien
    Hiz mates!
    I was coding some stuff in Scribble and suddenly something wrong occurs.
    When I press the 9 key the cursor goes backward highlighting written words.
    It only occurs with the 9 key and only in Scribble.

What's wrong with that?

I'm with a powerbook g4 and MorphOS 3.9.

[ Edited by tolkien 25.07.2015 - 05:53 ]
    MorphOS: PowerMac G5 - PowerBook G4 - MacMini.
    Classic: Amiga 1200/060 - A500 PiStorm
  • »24.07.15 - 22:27
  • MorphOS Developer
    Nadir
    Hi,

That sounds strange. Is it reproducible and does it happen if you restart Scribble? You could also try to revert the settings to defaults (but make a copy of the settings files in env:mui/scribble#?).

Please let me know.

Best,

Nicholai
  • »24.07.15 - 23:45
    tolkien
    Hi Nadir.
    Now It happend all the time. I have switch off the computer, erased env:scribble#? and the problem persist.
    I have used It perfectly the last month but yesterday It happened suddenly and now I can't use the 9 key only in scribble.
    Don't know what to do really. Perhaps is a strange MorphOS setting? I'm only guessing...
  • »25.07.15 - 06:47
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    diezi7
    Hi Tolkien

I had the same problem with my powerbook
    and the solution was to change to another
    fine text editor. ONly the 9 key.

I'll try it next time I use Scribble to see
    if it happens all the time.

Good luck !
    PowerMac G4 MDD 1,25 dual (Registered)
    Pegasos II G4 (not working)
    Powerbook G4 1.0 15"
    -=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=
    http://amigalandia.blogspot.com.es/
  • »25.07.15 - 14:00
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    Nadir
    Changing to another editor is not a solution.

This is very strange and I really have no idea what goes on. I have my own powerbook in pieces but will see if I can reproduce once I have it working again.
  • »25.07.15 - 16:12
    tolkien
    What is really strange is that it worked nice till yesterday. Víctor, I like to use Scribble cos is prepared to coding. Wouldn't like to use another and is interesting to know the problem.

[ Edited by tolkien 25.07.2015 - 16:58 ]
  • »25.07.15 - 16:57
  • MorphOS Developer
    Nadir
    I just tried on my powerbook but no problem. Could you let me know your exact model?

Also, could you try the following:

1) veryify that the problem appears also when starting scribble directly from the CD

2) connect an external USB keyboard. Does it still happen?

Best,

Nicholai
  • »25.07.15 - 19:20
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    In Scribble, which AFAIK, is part of the MOS revision release, came as a new version with MOS v3.9. So, I saw there were changed options to Save a file to CMD+w (which seems to have been changed from CMD+s - fairly standard option across many platforms) and Save As has been changed to CMD+s (from CMD+z - which seems a far more logical and standard saving method than what has now replaced it).

Even more troublesome is that CMD+W (Upper Case W) is now used for Save ALL, which used to be CMD+w (Lower Case w).

So, I have to ask, has some mix-up occurred during the coding of the choice of the saving options?

I mention this as I am so used to using the other methods of saving that I have replaced the new version of Scribble with one of my older release versions - just to save the confusion of saving the wrong file/overwriting a file inadvertently, by pressing what would now be the incorrect key qualification.

If possible please return the keyboard file opening/handling/saving options to their more standardised and more logical original ones.
    MacMini 1.5GHz,64MB VRAM, PowerBooks A1138/9 (Model 5,8/9),PowerMac G5 2.3GHz(DP), iMac A1145 2.1GHz 20", all with MorphOS v3.18+,Airport,Bluetooth,A1016 Keyboard,T-RB22 Mouse,DVD-RW-DL,MiniMax,Firewire/USB2 & MacOSX 10.4/5
  • »25.07.15 - 19:47
  • MorphOS Developer
    Nadir
    Hi,

You should not use such strong words as reverse to "logical", "standard" and so on without really thinking carefully about it.

As far as I know, all major Amiga editors use command-w for save. This is at least the case for GoldEd and Cygnus editor. Also, command-w has been the default shortcut for Scribble from day one, way before I released the first version.

You must have mixed things up yourself (maybe using a local file that doesn't use the default english settings or relying on your own local settings). I'm not planning to change the keyboard shortcuts to Mac or Windows defaults but you can of course use any local settings you want. They are easily defined in the GUI and your settings will be saved in a separate file called env:MUI/SCRIBBLE.keys.

Best,

Nicholai
  • »25.07.15 - 20:05
  • MorphOS Developer
    Nadir
    Quote:

tolkien wrote:
    What is really strange is that it worked nice till yesterday. Víctor, I like to use Scribble cos is prepared to coding. Wouldn't like to use another and is interesting to know the problem.

just came to think about, which local settings do you use? Maybe there is a problem in the catalog file for your language.
  • »25.07.15 - 20:06
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    diezi7
    Quote:

Nadir wrote:
    I just tried on my powerbook but no problem. Could you let me know your exact model?

Also, could you try the following:

1) veryify that the problem appears also when starting scribble directly from the CD

2) connect an external USB keyboard. Does it still happen?

Best,

Nicholai

Hi Nadir

In my case, plugging an external USB keyboard has the same effect.

Starting Scribble from the MorphOS 3.9 CD results in the same.

Key 9 highlights previous text.

Checked all shortcuts from Settings.

It's strange, both NowinED and ED work fine.

I use spanish locale...same as Tolkien.

IIRC on my PowerMac it works fine, maybe it's a powerbook
    specific issue.

Thanks

[ Edited by diezi7 25.07.2015 - 22:21 ]
    PowerMac G4 MDD 1,25 dual (Registered)
    Pegasos II G4 (not working)
    Powerbook G4 1.0 15"
    -=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=
    http://amigalandia.blogspot.com.es/
  • »25.07.15 - 22:18
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    Nadir
    Quote:

diezi7 wrote:

I use spanish locale...same as Tolkien.

I managed to reproduce it.

It seems to happen with Spanish keyboard setting and then resetting the Scribble keyboard settings in the Scribble GUI. If you reset the settings while the keyboard is set to something else (like american or swedish) and then return to Spanish keyboard, it will continue to work. I still have to investigate the root cause.

[ Edited by Nadir 25.07.2015 - 22:13 ]
  • »25.07.15 - 22:52
    tolkien
    As my friend Diezi7 said, we both use Spanish locale. Seems that is the problem.
    Thanks Nadir for the workaround. I can use It again without problem but It's obvious that there is a bug somewhere in Scribble or in MorphOS.
    Here I am If you need some testing.

[ Edited by tolkien 25.07.2015 - 23:37 ]
  • »25.07.15 - 23:35
  • MorphOS Developer
    Nadir
    Quote:

tolkien wrote:
    As my friend Diezi7 said, we both use Spanish locale. Seems that is the problem.
    Thanks Nadir for the workaround. I can use It again without problem but It's obvious that there is a bug somewhere in Scribble or in MorphOS.
    Here I am If you need some testing.

It looks like it is related to the Spanish keymap file in MorphOS. The MapAnsi() function which is used by Scribble is generating garbage. I am looking into the sources and will let you know once I've fixed this.
  • »25.07.15 - 23:59
  • MorphOS Developer
    Nadir
    OK, I've sent you a message with a link to an experimental Spanish keymap. Please let me know if it helps.

Nicholai
  • »26.07.15 - 00:29
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    Hi Nicholai, thanks for pointing out the option of changing the save key(s) to whatever feels best for me.

I know some editors use other keyboard shortcuts than CMD+s for saving, and some use CMD+a for Save As, but I suppose your method of allowing a user to select/change the save or other keys to whatever keyboard shortcut they see best to use for themselves is the best method possible - so thanks for your quick reply, and putting me back on the right track, much appreciated.

I suppose I may have changed the keys previously to what I normally use, and forgot there are settings I can amend myself, so thanks for reminding me, though I still feel that the ones I mentioned are more useful/logical for English users, though for other language speaking/typing users that may well not be as convenient or practical. :-D
    MacMini 1.5GHz,64MB VRAM, PowerBooks A1138/9 (Model 5,8/9),PowerMac G5 2.3GHz(DP), iMac A1145 2.1GHz 20", all with MorphOS v3.18+,Airport,Bluetooth,A1016 Keyboard,T-RB22 Mouse,DVD-RW-DL,MiniMax,Firewire/USB2 & MacOSX 10.4/5
  • »26.07.15 - 03:35
    tolkien
    Quote:

Nadir wrote:
    OK, I've sent you a message with a link to an experimental Spanish keymap. Please let me know if it helps.

Nicholai

I have installed your keymap and reseting the Scribble keymap settings and all is ok now. No 9 key problem.
    I come back however to the old keymap cos not all keysymbols are in order but It is cos there are various Spanish keyboards types.

Problem solved. Good work mate!
  • »26.07.15 - 07:35
    boot_wb
    Quote:

Nadir wrote:
    I'm not planning to change the keyboard shortcuts to Mac or Windows defaults but you can of course use any local settings you want. They are easily defined in the GUI and your settings will be saved in a separate file called env:MUI/SCRIBBLE.keys.

Best,

Nicholai

Would an API in MUI make sense to allow standard shortcut keys (Save, Save-as, etc) to be centrally managed - Something similar to AISS in principle?

Just a thought, and not something I could do myself, but seems sensible at face value.
    www.hullchimneyservices.co.uk

UI: Powerbook 5,6 (1.67GHz, 128MB VRam): OS3.1, OSX 10.5.8
    HTPC: Mac Mini G4 (1,5GHz, 64MB VRam): OS3.1 (ZVNC)
    Audiophile: Efika 5200b (SB Audigy): OS3.1 (VNC + Virtual Monitor)

Windows free since 2011!
  • »26.07.15 - 11:48
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    Nadir
    Quote:

boot_wb wrote:
    Would an API in MUI make sense to allow standard shortcut keys (Save, Save-as, etc) to be centrally managed - Something similar to AISS in principle?

Just a thought, and not something I could do myself, but seems sensible at face value.

Maybe a nice idea but I'm not too it would would work very well. In the case of a text editor that has hundreds (literally) of shortcuts it gets very difficult to manage. Not all of the shortcuts could be centralized in such an application and then it gets messy. What shortcuts are left to the editor if the user defines some of them outside the application?

It is easy to criticize the default shortcuts in Scribble and I admit they are not ideal but it is very difficult to get things right. There is no clear standard and something like an advanced programmer's editor needs so many different shortcuts. I think the best we can do is to agree on some standard for the most common actions and leave the rest to the user.

Best,

Nicholai
  • »26.07.15 - 12:42