How stable is BackMan?
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    TheMagicM
    So I thought it was 3.7 and all the crap I had installed along with it. Fresh 3.8 install..BackMan works, but sometimes crashes after a backup. Is this common?

EDIT: Since the first run of Backman crashed, I just ran another version..did a backup, clicked Finish..entire system locked up. :-/ Is it crap software? Do we not have good backup software for MorphOS?

[ Edited by TheMagicM 21.05.2015 - 19:18 ]
  • »22.05.15 - 02:11
    Profile Visit Website
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    _bigdan_
    Have you tried Diavolo Backup ?

http://amigazeux.net/diavolo/feat.php
  • »22.05.15 - 05:02
    Profile Visit Website
  • rms
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    rms
    Quote:

TheMagicM wrote:
    So I thought it was 3.7 and all the crap I had installed along with it. Fresh 3.8 install..BackMan works, but sometimes crashes after a backup. Is this common?

EDIT: Since the first run of Backman crashed, I just ran another version..did a backup, clicked Finish..entire system locked up. :-/ Is it crap software? Do we not have good backup software for MorphOS?

Here is what I do: I installed a 2nd HD into my PM G5 and use "MirrorCopy" + "waitx" and a script do get a backup automatically done during the night of all the partitions! This works very well, never have a problem. It mirrors the content of the partitions against the content of the backup then moves the deleted files into a deleted directory on the backup partition and it also writes a log file what hase been done. So next morning I do have 2 hd with identical content. This is the way I found which works very well since years now.

Regards
    Christoph
  • »22.05.15 - 06:12
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Do we not have good backup software for MorphOS?

http://www.onyxsoft.se/backup.html
  • »22.05.15 - 08:00
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    BackUp and MirrorCopy are very good options when you can make backups to the device which is formatted with Amiga compatible filesystem, but Diavolo (and maybe this Backman too?) will create its own archives and it can be used to backup to other medias too without needing to worry about file attribute preservation.

Backing up to some custom format with Diavolo/Backman will probably have features like data integrity checks etc, but OTOH, there is a danger that if the backup program stops working later, you might have difficulties to restore the data anymore. Or if their archives get corrupted, how they handle it then...

I've gone to the Amiga filesystem way nowadays with my backups. I have external SFS formatted USB HD where I mirror my partitions with BackUp. I also make double backup to SFS formatted USB stick with same way.

Then for some stuff which I don't want to keep fully on my daily HD (everything doesn't even fit there, for example downloaded archives, music, movies, photos, etc), I make incremental backups with UpDateCopy command which doesn't mirror (== doesn't remove) stuff, but just copies/updates the new stuff to the backup.
  • »22.05.15 - 10:37
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    TheMagicM
    Good answers... now for the difficult bonus question :-)

https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?topic_id=11167&forum=12
  • »22.05.15 - 14:24
    Profile Visit Website