ZVNC how to get it work with Windows
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    dirkvl123
    Hi reader,

I like to use ZVNC to control my windows laptop. It saves a lot of space on my tabel.
    It looked easy to configure on the youtube movie I watched, but it doesn't work for me yet.

In windows 7 x64: I installed a vnc server. I tried with ultravnc, it also uses winvnc.exe which
    was recommended by the author of the ZVNC tool on the homepage: http://zapek.com/software/zvnc/
    I set the server ot the windows setup like I always did for other vnc clients. Default port (5900), password for full control, firewall configuration for port 5900, in short, the normal way.

In ZVNC executable I used the Tooltypes according to the readme file:

DONOTWAIT
    HOST=(ip of my host)
    PASWORD=(my configured password in ultravnc server)
    HOTKEY_CONNECT=ctrlf1

I expected this tool to give me the functionality to scroll my mouse pointer to the screen of my laptop and control my laptop with my morphos keyboard and mouse. But nothing happens.
    If I push ctrl + F1 , like configured, it gives me an error:"Error while connecting" "operation already in use." Well the tool seems to think so, but I see nothing happening on my laptop screen.

Does anybody know how to use this tool on a windows device?

[ Edited by dirkvl123 30.04.2015 - 07:08 ]
  • »29.04.15 - 14:29
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    Quote:

dirkvl123 wrote:
    I expected this tool to give me the functionality to scroll my mouse pointer to the screen of my laptop and control my laptop with my morphos keyboard and mouse. But nothing happens.
    If I push ctrl + F1 , like configured, it gives me an error:"Error while connecting" "operation already in use." Well the tool seems to think so, but I see nothing happening on my laptop screen.

Does anybody know how to use this tool on a windows device?

First of all, use ZNVC from the MorphOS installation and not the one from zapek's page. But it'd advise you to look into Synergy instead.
  • »30.04.15 - 11:29
    Profile Visit Website
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    dirkvl123
    Thanks for the tip jacadcaps!

I searched for synergy on the net. Now i see it's advantages.
    I have been on the wrong track with looking into ZVNC, synergy seems to do a better job.
    Well, I will give it a try soon. Just I don't see how it works. reading some article, it seems with synergy it is even possible to drag and drop files from 1 screen to another. How would that work between 2 systems and 2 different platforms? The only disadvantage for me is, that I would have like to use my morphos machines keyboard and mouse to control the windows laptop, since I like it's keyboard better.After reading the synergy usage, I understand it is needed to install the senergy server edition on the system which is connected to the mouse en keyboard.So that's not possible since there is only a morphos client, not a server. But vice versa works to with some modification here on my desk.

[ Edited by dirkvl123 30.04.2015 - 17:11 ]
  • »30.04.15 - 18:08
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    The MorphOS client/server does not support drag & drop, at least for now. The next update of the OS will feature a Synergy server as well as an updated client.
  • »01.05.15 - 08:50
    Profile Visit Website
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    dirkvl123
    Hey jacadcaps,

I've managed to get it running!. Only one point. Seems synergy is very picky about the server/client version compatibility. I started of by running an older 1.3 server on windows and a 1.4 client on my morphos sys. Didn't work. The client actually found the server, but the server denied. At least it gave me an error report. Server is not compitable with this clients' version 1.4. So I looked on the net and found a beta version 1.4.8 server for windows. That worked. Better gui to and something extra compared to the 1.3 server, a windows intigrated synergy service. So it works now.

There is however one question I need to solve. My Morphos synergy client 1.4 has a check box to autostart after rebooting. I tried and checked it a few times. But every reboot I need to manually startup the tool, enter the correct ip again (?) and start it. It does hold the right port number though. Weird. Is there any way to overcome that handicap? It is unhandy to be forced to use a connnected keyboard and mouse every time morphos start to startup synergy.....

Thanks.

[ Edited by dirkvl123 03.05.2015 - 12:37 ]
  • »03.05.15 - 13:37
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    dirkvl123
    update.

I tried this: copy the synergyclient icon and executable to the WBstartup folder.
    and I added tooltypes I found on some wordpress forum.

TOOLPRI=n
    STARTPRI=n
    DONOTWAIT

(and vinked executable)

Your name was mentioned on that forum too.:)
    http://blog.remotecpu.com/?p=7

Ok, so now the tool starts on booting, but it still doesn't keep my server settings.
    In other words, the tooltypes that work for those people on that blogsite don't seem to work for me.
    What goes wrong?

Also this tip I found.
    Starting Programs Iconified
    MUI has an option to start programs in iconified mode. It's useful for example for programs like Synergy, which you'd like to start on background without their main window jumping up. The option can be found from program's MUI Settings (Windows -> Iconify on startup).
    Tips Iconify.png

Doesn't work yet here
  • »03.05.15 - 16:13
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    As for Synergy version compatibility, the server will generally reject a client that implements a newer version of the protocol than the server itself. Not much I could do about that. I'd recommend using at least v1.6.

As for autostarting - the current version of the client only saves settings on quit, so to have it autostart correctly, you must configure it, connect and then quit.
  • »04.05.15 - 07:29
    Profile Visit Website
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    dirkvl123
    Morphos synergy client 1.6? Where can I download this? I tried but I can't find it.
  • »04.05.15 - 19:24
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    dirkvl123
    it's working now with client morphos 1.4 and 1.4 server.. indeed it was what you said. but as a new user it is easy to overlook the problem. There are more ways to exit an application. I kept on configuring and exit by the exit window button. This is the rude way and it will not save the config by exit. right button and select on the taskbar 'quit is the trick that makes the difference. lame i didn't try yesterday.

The icony part still is not perfect I see the synergy window appear everytime when it starts now, but that is a small beauty thing. Also my laptop keyboard is a modern one and it seems the senergy server has difficulty. sometimes when i typ a key on the keyboard it seems to hang every now and than and after it is repeating the same character 25 timesssssssss...

Maybe I will try server 1.6 anyway.

thanks for the help.

[ Edited by dirkvl123 05.05.2015 - 10:19 ]
  • »05.05.15 - 11:15
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    dirkvl123
    Last update.

After installing server 1.6.3, all keyboard problems stopped. It is working like I wanted it now.
    Seems connecting after booting up goes faster too.

Thanks.
  • »05.05.15 - 12:28