Two joypads under MAME
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Cool_amigaN
    I connected to MorphOS 3.7 three USB joypads: 2 from retrolink whereas the 1st was the NES copycat and the other the Sega Master System's (for more information visit here: http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/1b4c/) along with my ThrustMaster.

All the pads were recognized by MorphOS (on prefs/usb/devices) however once I launched MAME and tried to configured them (both on "input for this game" and on "universal input") ALL axis and ALL buttons were addressed, no matter what, as "joy1". Therefore you couldn't play a multiplayer game (i.e. Armored Warriors), since 1 joystick was moving all three players (btw, all three joystics provided input to the game simultaneously).

Have I misconfigured something or MAME doesn't support more than 1 controller assigned?
    Amiga gaming Tribute: Watch, rate, comment :)
  • »23.03.15 - 15:28
    Profile Visit Website
    xyphoid
    Thee is another step you should have taken prior to mapping buttons which is to tell settings which pad is which under emulation.
    1. Go to settings, and select usb
    2. Go to devices
    3. Select the pad you wish to use for joy1(double click)
    4. Go to settings (lower right) and select
    5. Quickest way is to right click, select with the window highlighted, and select quick setup from top ambient menu
    6. Choose joystick and select port you wish (port0-3) 0 being game port player 1etc.
    7. Repeat steps for rest.
    8. Harder way using th lowlevel library joypad emulation on hid.class settings screen, and choosing merge with usb for port you wish
    and repeating the steps for each pad as well(ports0-3). leave all other ports as Don't touch.

I have four supported and wish I had 5 for x-men!
    All the best!!
  • »29.03.15 - 03:42
    Cool_amigaN
    Thanks! It worked!

Do you happen to know how can you calibrate also a joystick as well? I have a right wing classic mame arcade stick with 8 buttons but not all axis and buttons work under MorphOS :(
  • »29.03.15 - 10:45
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    Quote:

Cool_amigaN wrote:
    Thanks! It worked!

Do you happen to know how can you calibrate also a joystick as well? I have a right wing classic mame arcade stick with 8 buttons but not all axis and buttons work under MorphOS :(

You really should bug Fab to add support for Sensors API hid inputs in MAME. That'd solve such issues.
  • »30.03.15 - 10:24
    Profile Visit Website
    Cool_amigaN
    Heh, I have bugged enough Fab with MPlayer, don't want to make him feel like I am harassing him :P

Actually, I don't need the extra buttons of the joystick, just need to calibrate it properly, that's why I think I should get in contact with the developer of the USB drivers to give me a help. Do you know who he is?

For whatever reason, the stick seems to be going at the opposite direction I am controlling it (I push left, it goes right :P) and some buttons are not allocated. It should be trivial to him imho...

If only we had something like AmigaInput from OS4, which is the only feature I miss, someday in the future, it would help a lot nabs like me not to spam morphzone :)
  • »30.03.15 - 18:33
    Profile Visit Website
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    Have you played around with Poseidon settings? It may look a bit cryptic at first, but there's enormous amount of config options, and I'd bet that almost anything can be done :)

I for example did some kind of calibration for my USB racing wheel from there. Wheel did give much bigger values than VGP2 was accepting and that caused jump to other direction if you turned it enough or something like that. I got it fixed from Poseidon's Action settings by clipping or scaling (or both, should check)... I got it nicely to convert values to be suitable for VGP2.

In any case you can process a lot the values input device gives, and easily map to other directions and different scales etc. You can also see the values it's giving there on real time.
  • »30.03.15 - 19:00
    Profile Visit Website
    Cool_amigaN
    Friend, I truly have no absolutely idea how I can manage this from Poseidon Prefs.. I 've tried to tweak it in the past repeatedly but this is beyond my (limited) knowledge.
    Plus I can't find any tutorial on the net (hint for your next article in MorphOS Library :P)...
  • »31.03.15 - 18:08
    Profile Visit Website