Jukebox and Panels
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Cool_amigaN
    I am testing the system's internal sound player and I get much much clearer results (clarity of sound output) than the same tracks being played through Jukebox. Still best sound can be heared through AmiNet. I am using a SoundBlaster Live and latest MorphOS on a Powermac. Can anybody confirm that?

Also, I have created a sub panel and inside I am listing Quake I, II & III using the default games' info/icons. However, there is a white square surrounding them, as if there is no transparency whatsoever whereas inside Ambient's browser they look normal.. Why this happen?

Also, regarding panels, I have created a directory for music drawers, when I click it the folders are presented but the name of each folder cannot be seen, so I don't know in advance which drawer I am clicking to browse into. Can I configure that?

[ Edited by Cool_amigaN 27.01.2015 - 22:35 ]
    Amiga gaming Tribute: Watch, rate, comment :)
  • »27.01.15 - 20:32
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Yasu
    I tried to listen to some songs on Jukebox, Aminet Radio and AmigaAmp 2.24 and they all sound the same on my G5 7.3 @ 2.7 Ghz with the internal sound chip. So it might be Soundblaster Live related (driver or hardware problem).

[ Edited by Yasu 28.01.2015 - 00:30 ]
    AMIGA FORUM - Hela Sveriges Amigatidning!
    AMIGA FORUM - Sweden's Amiga Magazine!

My MorphOS blog
  • »27.01.15 - 23:29
    Profile Visit Website
    Cool_amigaN
    @Yasu

Ok, thanks for reporting. I don't know why there is such a difference between music players on my machines.

Anyway, anybody got any idea regarding the white frame of .info when put inside a sub-panel? Shouldn't be transparent?
  • »29.01.15 - 14:29
    Profile Visit Website
    Tcheko
    Quote:

Cool_amigaN wrote:
    @Yasu

Ok, thanks for reporting. I don't know why there is such a difference between music players on my machines.

Anyway, anybody got any idea regarding the white frame of .info when put inside a sub-panel? Shouldn't be transparent?

Jukebox relies on Reggae which in turn relies on AHI shared mode for audio playback.

Depending of the number of AHI channels (1-32) in settings, the quality of the audio stream can be seriously altered. The difference between 2 to 32 is simply stunning.

It is recommanded to reduce the number of AHI channels to some more sensible value like 2 for example.

This will clearly improve the audio quality of Jukebox (or any application doing audio in AHI shared mode).

AmiNetRadio might use exclusive AHI audio mode, thus delivering an overall better sound quality than AHI shared mode (which has 'poor but quick' mixing algorithm).

I hope this help understanding the earable audio differences between players.
    Quelque soit le chemin que tu prendras dans la vie, sache que tu auras des ampoules aux pieds.
    -------
    I need to practice my Kung Fu.
  • »29.01.15 - 21:19
    Profile Visit Website
    Cool_amigaN
    @Antoine

Hey man, what's up? Thanks for popping up. I checked AHI and I have 4 available units and only unit 0 selected on the "preferred" list. I double checked same songs playbacked from OWB and Jukebox and Jukebox still sounds much worse.

By the way, do you have ready configuration file for SoundBankster that will play with Hercules DJ Console MK2 or I should configure it manually?

@all

Regarding panels, if anyone faces in the future the same difficulty, click 0 alpha on the parent panel and on the "sub panel" option click clone parent. Now sub panel's icons have transparency :)
  • »31.01.15 - 09:17
    Profile Visit Website
    Tcheko
    Quote:

Cool_amigaN wrote:
    @Antoine

Hey man, what's up? Thanks for popping up. I checked AHI and I have 4 available units and only unit 0 selected on the "preferred" list. I double checked same songs playbacked from OWB and Jukebox and Jukebox still sounds much worse.

Well. As I said previously, AHI mixing routine in shared mode is quick but dirty. That's a trade off that has to be made for allowing multiple applications to output sound simultaneously with low CPU usage. That was a big constraint in the 68k era.

For that, you have some simple algorithm like (sample A + sample B) / 2. It works but sucks. If sample A is 0 (no sound), sample B has halved value even if full volume... Do that for example with 4 simultaneous channels : (sample A + sample B + sample C + sample D) / 4...

That's a disaster. :)

Btw, you can hear a drop in volume if you start multiple applications making use of AHI shared mode.

Currently, Jukebox totally relies on Reggae framework for sound output. That's not a Reggae problem either. That's simply AHI 'fault'.

One day, in a distant future, maybe in two weeks (read : never, actually don't count on that really), AHI low level stuff will be replaced by clever, cleaner, better, cooler Reggae stuff with float mixing routine that won't kill the least significant bits.

This will make shared mode better sounding. One day. Maybe.

So far, the only way to improve output quality is to lower the AHI channels setting to 2. Or even better 1.

Quote:

Cool_amigaN wrote:
    By the way, do you have ready configuration file for SoundBankster that will play with Hercules DJ Console MK2 or I should configure it manually?

I didn't provide any configuration file for the DJ Console MK2. There is a setting menu entry that can be used to setup the controller.

Btw, the controller might need some care in Poseidon, some buttons, wheels, knobs might not be mapped by default.
    Quelque soit le chemin que tu prendras dans la vie, sache que tu auras des ampoules aux pieds.
    -------
    I need to practice my Kung Fu.
  • »01.02.15 - 17:39
    Profile Visit Website