Spotify
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Simon
    I suppose someone can get a Powermac there and MorphOS team can supply a key in this case ?

http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=35072&forum=32
    Proud member of the Belgian Amiga Club since 2003

• »01.02.12 - 22:01
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    ...and (if you are talking about the MorphOS Team) maybe some insider clues about MorphOS's future path beyond PPC HW (provided that there is one, of course), in other words, how an effort like this would make any sense at all for them? I didn't really read the post you linked to, but I find it kind of mind-boggling that anyone "in the big world outside the Amiga community" would even consider supporting OS4 in 2011. OS4 isn't going anywhere, they will have the same users counted in the hundreds, using hardware normal people would discard as insane. The MorphOS situation isn't really that much better. So here it must either be because of a personal friendship situation (and is that really sanctioned from "above" then?), or some ambition to create/fabricate some fancy statistics for investors about the amount of supported platforms, or something. All in all, I think it sounds very strange, and I wonder if anything will come out of this, or if the "skuggan" guy is being played by some individual developers acting on their own? I mean, why would a *company* like Spotify need a HW/OS donation in order to do something? They have enough money to support *any and all* HW/OS combos they fancy, they are working carefully with their brand development (if you don't understand what I meant by the last sentence, please just ignore), etc. But whatever...

Personally, I used Spotify in the beginning. It was kind of cool for what it was, you could accept the commercial breaks and its limitations because it was a free service. But they simply lack several of the artists and music I want to listen to, and when they changed their terms of use and only let you listen to a tune 5 times for free, I completely lost my interest, uninstalled the program, and e-mailed them to terminate my account. Never looked back. There are alternatives, and there will be even more.

Edit: Please not that what I wrote above doesn't mean I don't support the initiative. Go ahead! Who knows, maybe something fruitful will come out of it? It's just that I get this very strange feeling based on the "information" provided...

[ Edited by takemehomegrandma 01.02.2012 - 23:24 ]
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »01.02.12 - 23:14
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Jupp3
    Personally, I don't really care about Spotify. Especially after the recent "Must create useless Facebook account to be able to log in" -change. But I do acknowledge it's a "big name", and for some reason, many like it.

But I do own a 800MHz PowerMac that I don't really need, it's currently located in Oulu, Finland. Base unit only (with HD and GFX card), no keyboard, mouse or display, but those shouldn't be a problem.

I guess the postage would be relatively high, especially from Finland.
  • »02.02.12 - 11:59
    Profile Visit Website
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    cheesegrate
    grooveshark should work well in owb :)
  • »02.02.12 - 12:24
    Profile Visit Website
    Simon
    I never used Spotify ... I even don't really know what it is :-)

But if someone wants to develop for MorphOS - no matter what - that is only a good thing.

• »02.02.12 - 12:32
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    itix
    Spotify is a music pay service but lately it has been going worse. I stopped using Spotify long ago.
    1 + 1 = 3 with very large values of 1
  • »02.02.12 - 14:28
    hooligan
    Quote:

Especially after the recent "Must create useless Facebook account to be able to log in" -change.

Mm.. what? I don't have a fecesbook-account and listening to Spotify as we speak.
    www.mikseri.net/hooligan <- Free music
  • »02.02.12 - 16:38
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    amiades
    Although I don't use spotify, having it ported at the cost of one machine, with and installed SDK, seems a nice deal... even more, if the port is made by the people that create the product...

I don't see this as a bad idea.
  • »02.02.12 - 18:04
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Jupp3
    hooligan,
    Quote:

Quote:

Especially after the recent "Must create useless Facebook account to be able to log in" -change.

Mm.. what? I don't have a fecesbook-account and listening to Spotify as we speak.

Exactly.

I guess you are older user then? New users must create a facebook account before being allowed to use Spotify.

About Spotify Facebook requirement
    Quote:

From this week, all new Spotify users will need to have a Facebook account to join Spotify.

Note the keyword "new".
  • »03.02.12 - 14:02
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    magnetic
    Quote:

"Must create useless Facebook account to be able to log in"

If you need a facebook account to use it you can rule me out. Facebook is a CIA front and data mining operation and I certainly wont take part in it.
    Pegasos 2 Rev 2B3 w/ Freescale 7447 "G4" @ 1ghz / 1gb Nanya Ram
    Quad Boot: MorphOS 2.7 | Amiga OS4.1 U4 | Ubuntu PPC GNU/Linux | OS X 10.4
  • »05.02.12 - 09:37
    Profile Visit Website
    Simon
    CIA, FBI, KGB ... nothing on facebook that you don't put there yourself. Ok you are right, the need for the creation of a facebook account just to run another program is more or less stupid... that part I understand.

• »05.02.12 - 16:42
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > I suppose someone can get a Powermac there and MorphOS team can supply a key
    > in this case ?

"we in the project now work together with both MorphOS and Aros guys. [...] What we do is to provide MorphOS guys with AOS4 machines or at least help them out with compiling/betatesting. Also the AOS4 guys try to get MorphOSmachines."
    http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=35072&forum=32&start=300#721460
  • »06.11.13 - 17:57
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Yasu
    I am actually neighbur with one of the guys at Spotify and I'm doing what I can to get MorphOS in there as well. Right now the whole project is on hold for legal reasons. But once that is clear things should start to get moving.

If there is a demand, I could buy an G5 and personally deliver it to them. That if anything should save shipping cost at least. And make sure that they get a working machine. I don't want to carry the whole finansial burden of course, so maybe a bounty would help. If that comes to that that is.

Tomorrow me and some fellow Amigans are going out for a drink and hopefully some Spotifiers will tag along. Hopefully we will get more info out of them then.
    AMIGA FORUM - Hela Sveriges Amigatidning!
    AMIGA FORUM - Sweden's Amiga Magazine!

My MorphOS blog
  • »06.11.13 - 18:14
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > I'm doing what I can to get MorphOS in there as well.

So you work together with Skuggan on this?

> Right now the whole project is on hold for legal reasons.

From the link above:

"After the main Amigaport guy left to another company there wasn't any action but now they have two new guys working on it. One of them really active and have started to compile stuff."

So which one is it?

> Tomorrow me and some fellow Amigans are going out for a drink and hopefully some
    > Spotifiers will tag along. Hopefully we will get more info out of them then.

One Spotifier, according to the link above:

"Tomorrow we will have a meeting in stockholm with one of the guys (at the pub) and some other interesting companies to raise the awarenes of the AmigaNG."
  • »06.11.13 - 18:33
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Yasu
    > So you work together with Skuggan on this?

In a manner of speaking. I help for the simple reason that he is my neighbur. I can't help with anything technical.

> So which one is it?

Maybe both. They can not release anything anyway without the legal part sorted out. But this is information I got from my neighbur. He isn't directly involved with the project (or so I think), but he tries to help us.

> One Spotifier, according to the link above:

It all really depends. We will see tomorrow.

[ Edited by Yasu 06.11.2013 - 18:57 ]

My MorphOS blog
  • »06.11.13 - 18:56
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    >> One Spotifier, according to the link above

> It all really depends. We will see tomorrow.

It seems there were even less of them, but overall good news apparently:

"The spotifiers didn't turned up....... because that were busy getting the libspotify through compilation. :) [...] We will now help them test it and make basic test but first they need to clear everything with the legal department. After this it shouldn't be to hard to port MorphOS and Aros. We have devs from those camps helping out."
    http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=35072&forum=32&start=300#721655

"The Morphos support is done by StefanB (Onyx soft) and that port will benefit from the experience we gain during the OS4-port."
    http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=35072&forum=32&start=300#721706

[ Edited by Andreas_Wolf 09.11.2013 - 22:24 ]
  • »09.11.13 - 03:55
    Cego
    What happened to this? Is anyone working on it? Could donations help the process of finishing it?
    Pegasos II G4 @1.0GHz, 1GB DDR Ram, Radeon 9200Pro, 240GB SSD+160GB HD, MorphOS 3.18, AmigaOS4.1 FE, Debian 8
  • »28.09.14 - 21:24
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Yasu
    [Edit]

Removed the original post.

The project is at a standstill due to a difficult network problem. But they are still trying to find ways to fix it.

[ Edited by Yasu 28.09.2014 - 21:35 ]

My MorphOS blog
  • »28.09.14 - 22:03
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    kriz
    Wish this a success, will be real nice to use spotify on morphos :))
    MacMiniG4 MOS 3.18 rulez ... For music check: Horrordelic Records - Dark Psychedelic Music Since 2011 -
  • »28.09.14 - 23:49
    Profile Visit Website
    Cego
    what kind of network problem?
    Pegasos II G4 @1.0GHz, 1GB DDR Ram, Radeon 9200Pro, 240GB SSD+160GB HD, MorphOS 3.18, AmigaOS4.1 FE, Debian 8
  • »29.09.14 - 06:27
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Yasu
    @Cego

From what I understand it has something to do with the TCP/IP stack and how it speaks to the Spotify server. But I'm not a technician. I'm just part of the group because my neighbor works at Spotify and he is also interested in the project (but not directly involved).

The problem is made harder because Hyperion have withdrew their support of the project.

[ Edited by Yasu 29.09.2014 - 17:01 ]

My MorphOS blog
  • »29.09.14 - 19:00
    Profile Visit Website
    Cego
    so do you think there is any chance that this will be finished? or does it seem like vapor ware?
  • »29.09.14 - 19:56
    Cego
    Are MOS Devs involved? maybe as some kind of technical support?
  • »29.09.14 - 19:56
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Yasu
    @Cego

Hard to tell. Spotify isn't pushing the project. They work on it when they can and get the technical support they need. I wouldn't consider it vaporware since the guys are working hard to get it to work. But if they can't fix the problem, it wont work.

No. First it was only an AmigaOS 4 project. Then when support for MorphOS and AROS was included the guys thought it would be best if they finished the AmigaOS 4 port first, since that is what Spotify promised to do. MorphOS and AROS would follow. The reason is that they don't want to give the impression that the NG Amiga scene is a mess, which makes sense. I doubt that if they can't finish the AmigaOS 4 port they would help making an MorphOS port instead.

My MorphOS blog
  • »29.09.14 - 20:57
    Profile Visit Website