It's a SCANdal-ous issue with USB and OWB
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    I use SCANdal v1.6 quite a bit, with my Mac Mini 1.5GHz running MOS v3.6 and have a few issues with it.

I would really like to see the Zoom feature implemented for being able to scan a specific area of a document/image, and if possible 'pan' around in the image to be able to ensure I have all I want captured within the scan area. The scan area/page would be a lot better if it was possible to re-size the rulered window/area for scanning so that it filled the whole screen, and that way the image would appear larger on screen, but as the size of the scan window does not change even if the window is enlarged this is another limitation of SCANdal that I would be grateful to be rid of.

More serious than that is that after using or while using SCANdal I find that my USB devices become unrecognised once unplugged and re-inserted or when an entirely new device is connected, and a reboot is required to get them recognisable/useable on MOS.

I also find that while using the Beta for the CUPS printing that you are working on if I try to print something after/during SCANdal running at the same time, or even after it has closed/quit it also causes the same problem.

I use an HP 2500 CLJ which is attached via USB, and usually I get a message indicating that the USBPAR: device could not be found, but if I use the printer before starting up SCANdal the printing system works as well as I could expect, but as soon as SCANdal starts up I might as well forget printing until I reboot. This surely is not supposed to be the way the program works, as it is certainly clashing with parts of the USB system, if not other parts of MOS as well.

I use an Epson 1640SU Scanner, which works well under SCANdal, but brings about these printing issues.

Anyway, I was scanning something tonight, and then thought I would look up something online, so I loaded up OWB v1.24 and soon after OWB had finished loading and as I was trying to load a webpage OWB went into 'meditation' - which it has never done before, at that point of loading.

So, I carried out the same procedure as before, rebooted, then loaded SCANdal, and then tried to launch OWB - same issue 'program is meditating' - reboot required.

So, after reboot I just loaded OWB on its own, and no issues - it MUST be a problem with SCANdal. so I thought I had better point it out, as that too needs fixing.
    MacMini 1.5GHz,64MB VRAM, PowerBooks A1138/9 (Model 5,8/9),PowerMac G5 2.3GHz(DP), iMac A1145 2.1GHz 20", all with MorphOS v3.18+,Airport,Bluetooth,A1016 Keyboard,T-RB22 Mouse,DVD-RW-DL,MiniMax,Firewire/USB2 & MacOSX 10.4/5
  • »25.08.14 - 02:07
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > after using or while using SCANdal I find that my USB devices become unrecognised
    > once unplugged and re-inserted or when an entirely new device is connected,
    > and a reboot is required to get them recognisable/useable on MOS. [...] while
    > using the Beta for the CUPS printing that you are working on if I try to print
    > something after/during SCANdal running at the same time, or even after it has
    > closed/quit it also causes the same problem. [...] if I use the printer before
    > starting up SCANdal the printing system works as well as I could expect, but
    > as soon as SCANdal starts up I might as well forget printing until I reboot.

Maybe that thread is of help for you:

https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?topic_id=9992&forum=3
  • »25.08.14 - 10:57
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    Quote:

Maybe that thread is of help for you:

https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?topic_id=9992&forum=3

While that thread is along the same type of problems that I have mentioned, Zukow does not state he is going to fix the 'locking' of the USB/Poseidon Preferences/devices as a result of just using SCANdal, which is not the kind of response to such a situation that I would welcome. I would really have liked to see something achieved about fixing it by now.

I noticed there was some mention of the Epson.conf file that resides in S: but I did not see any information about how you can amend the configuration file to change any optional parameters. Do you know how this can be achieved, or what settings can be affected by modification/editing of the Epson.conf file?

A fix for the USB 'locking' is important and needs fixing, ideally as soon as possible. The other requested features I would like to see in SCANdal can wait, but the issue with having to reboot every time you want to print, or access another plugged in USB device seems to have a negative impact on the availability of the program. Not that I want the advantage of SCANdal being withdrawn/removed from the MorphOS programs that are included, but it is something that reflects adversely on the whole of MorphOS the longer this issue remains unresolved, IMHO.

The issue with OWB being 'interfered' with by loading SCANdal seems to be something also that needs looking into sooner rather than much later.
    MacMini 1.5GHz,64MB VRAM, PowerBooks A1138/9 (Model 5,8/9),PowerMac G5 2.3GHz(DP), iMac A1145 2.1GHz 20", all with MorphOS v3.18+,Airport,Bluetooth,A1016 Keyboard,T-RB22 Mouse,DVD-RW-DL,MiniMax,Firewire/USB2 & MacOSX 10.4/5
  • »25.08.14 - 19:36
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > I noticed there was some mention of the Epson.conf file that resides in S: but I did
    > not see any information about how you can amend the configuration file to change
    > any optional parameters. Do you know how this can be achieved

This should be doable with any text editor, I guess.

> or what settings can be affected by modification/editing of the Epson.conf file?

Unfortunately not.
  • »25.08.14 - 20:14
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    Quote:

NewSense wrote:
    > I noticed there was some mention of the Epson.conf file that resides in S: but I did
    > not see any information about how you can amend the configuration file to change

Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote: This should be doable with any text editor, I guess.
    I know how to edit a text based file, I wanted to know what text/characters/input altered/edited in the config file will change the way SCANdal works.

Quote:

NewSense wrote:> or what settings can be affected by modification/editing of the Epson.conf file?
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote: Unfortunately not.
    So there is no point in editing the Epson2.conf file at all then? If that's the case why was this not mentioned earlier? As that felt like I was just taken for a short walk along a foggy circular path.

Anyway, are there any TOOLTYPES that can affect how SCANdal is setup with the USB hardware, or any of its other saveable preferences, other than AUTOCONNECT=TRUE?
  • »26.08.14 - 00:34
  • rms
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    rms
    Quote:

NewSense wrote:
    Quote:

NewSense wrote:

Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote: This should be doable with any text editor, I guess.
    I know how to edit a text based file, I wanted to know what text/characters/input altered/edited in the config file will change the way SCANdal works.

Quote:

NewSense wrote:> or what settings can be affected by modification/editing of the Epson.conf file?
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote: Unfortunately not.
    So there is no point in editing the Epson2.conf file at all then? If that's the case why was this not mentioned earlier? As that felt like I was just taken for a short walk along a foggy circular path.

Anyway, are there any TOOLTYPES that can affect how SCANdal is setup with the USB hardware, or any of its other saveable preferences, other than AUTOCONNECT=TRUE?

can you try with morphos 3.7 installed? Because I did also have some issues before 3.7, not the same as you though, but they are gone now.
  • »26.08.14 - 04:54
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    >>> I noticed there was some mention of the Epson.conf file that resides in S: but I did
    >>> not see any information about how you can amend the configuration file to change
    >>> any optional parameters. Do you know how this can be achieved

>> This should be doable with any text editor, I guess.

> I wanted to know what text/characters/input altered/edited in the config file
    > will change the way SCANdal works.

I thought this is what the second part of your question ("what settings can be affected by modification/editing of the Epson.conf file") was referring to. Sorry for misunderstanding.

>>> or what settings can be affected by modification/editing of the Epson.conf file?

>> Unfortunately not.

> So there is no point in editing the Epson2.conf file at all then?

I don't know. I just know that I don't know "what settings can be affected by modification/editing of the Epson.conf file", and this is what I intended to tell you with my answer I gave to your question whether I knew or not. Please don't read more into it.
  • »26.08.14 - 10:05
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    In_Correct
    "SCAN-dal"?!
    :-) I Support Quark Microkernel. :-D
  • »26.08.14 - 13:31
    Profile Visit Website
  • Visitor
  • bhfdsgrfdst
  • »29.08.14 - 08:23
  • Visitor
  • Dyke said he is also certain the FIfa 15 Coins 2022 World Cup in Qatar will not be hosted in the summer, insisting it is too hazardous due to the high temperatures.Dyke gave proof to the Culture Media and Sport CMS select committee on Tuesday regarding the bidding procedure for the 2022 tournament, which has been plagued by allegations of corruption and bribery.Concerns have been elevated about theperforming conditions in Qatar, where summer temperatures can Cheap FIfa 15 Coins exceed 50 degrees Celsius.
  • »29.08.14 - 08:25
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    I should also mention that after using SCANdal v1.6, and earlier versions, I also find that sometimes the audio volume meter shows as 'muted' but the music files continue to play at the volume I set earlier, but if I click on the volume adjuster (menu-bar) and move the slider then no adjustment is actually achieved and the volume remains at the volume I set - before I loaded SCANdal, and the button displays the 'muted' 'X' on the speaker icon.

However, if I go into the sound preferences and change from one sound source hardware option, and click use then that does not effect any change, but a further modification returns the slider to functionality, weird or what ! ? :-(

This has only occurred for me after using SCANdal, so it seems to be an issue with just this program.
  • »03.09.14 - 23:20