Jukebox/MPlayer with iTunes M4A support
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Cego
    Hi there,

i'd like to make an request for future MorphOS software releases.
    With the current MorphOS release it is impossible to play recent iTunes m4a files without 100% cpu load in MPlayer. Jukebox doesnt support m4a playback at all.

So i'd like to ask Fab and/or the MorphOS Team, if they can update their software for m4a playback. Right now i have to convert all my titles to mp3 and thats something that consumes disk space for nothing.

btw, what happened to AminetRadio? Could the amigazeux team make an update to that player maybe? It's sad to have such good software, which only needs some extra fixes and features to be up to date.
    Pegasos II G4 @1.0GHz, 1GB DDR Ram, Radeon 9200Pro, 240GB SSD+160GB HD, MorphOS 3.18, AmigaOS4.1 FE, Debian 8
  • »12.04.14 - 19:51
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > With the current MorphOS release it is impossible to play recent iTunes m4a files
    > without 100% cpu load in MPlayer. Jukebox doesnt support m4a playback at all.
    > So i'd like to ask Fab and/or the MorphOS Team, if they can update their software
    > for m4a playback. [...] btw, what happened to AminetRadio? Could the amigazeux
    > team make an update to that player maybe?

AmiNetRadio provides an API for writing external replayers (see players/ dir). Therefore, writing such replayer is not reserved for the original AmiNetRadio author or team.

http://aminet.net/search?query=aminetradio
  • »12.04.14 - 21:39
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Cego
    so any info on this? is this planned at all? Jukebox is pretty useless too for me. MorphOS really needs an uptodate player with more features than mplayer (visualizations, bass/tremble, extensive playlist features,...)
    Pegasos II G4 @1.0GHz, 1GB DDR Ram, Radeon 9200Pro, 240GB SSD+160GB HD, MorphOS 3.18, AmigaOS4.1 FE, Debian 8
  • »07.07.14 - 12:41
  • MorphOS Developer
    Piru
    Quote:

Cego wrote:
    Hi there,

i'd like to make an request for future MorphOS software releases.
    With the current MorphOS release it is impossible to play recent iTunes m4a files without 100% cpu load in MPlayer.

I thought Fab had already fixed this problem. Fab is a bit busy these days... so it is unclear when/if this will be looked into.

Regarding Jukebox M4A support:

M4a is a container format, not some codec. Even if you support m4a, it can easily happen that the particular codec is not supported.

Some m4a files are using Apple Lossless Audio Codec (ALAC). Supporting that should be possible since Apple has released the source code to the codec and made it royalty free.

However, this is only part of the problem.

The other common codec found in m4a files as Advanced Audio Coding (AAC). This is way more problematic. Supporting AAC may involve patent royalty payments. Also, for example the commonly used open source implementation FAAD2 is GPL, making it difficult to incorporate it in proprietary applications. It would be possible to license the FAAD2 in a non-GPL, but I don't even want to guess how expensive that would be (even if we disregard the royalties themselves)...

So we're unlikely to support AAC in MorphOS itself anytime soon.

[ Edited by Piru 07.07.2014 - 15:17 ]
  • »07.07.14 - 14:17
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    SKOLMAN_MWS
    Quote:

Cego wrote:
    ... bass/tremble, extensive playlist features,...)

I use SongPlayer 1.53 with mpega.libraryFPU PowerUP by Stéphane Tavenard ... and probably already nothing beats this program.
    _
  • »07.07.14 - 16:35
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > with mpega.libraryFPU PowerUP by Stéphane Tavenard

Why not with the mpega.library that comes with MorphOS?
  • »07.07.14 - 21:24
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    _bigdan_
    Piru : thanks for your very clear answer about M4A/AAC !

SKOLMAN_MVS : why not use Songplayer v1.62 ?

http://amigadev.free.fr/songplayer/index_en.html

[ Edited by _bigdan_ 10.07.2014 - 11:47 ]
  • »10.07.14 - 12:46
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    diezi7
    Quote:

SKOLMAN_MWS wrote:
    Quote:

Cego wrote:
    ... bass/tremble, extensive playlist features,...)

I use SongPlayer 1.53 with mpega.libraryFPU PowerUP by Stéphane Tavenard ... and probably already nothing beats this program.

I think the playlist handling, is superior on Jukebox. It seems to remind the last directory with music. In SongPlayer I need to create a playlist manually. It can't add recursive files as AminetRadio AFAIK.

But I like SongPlayer too. Very stable player.

Still can't manage to repeat tracks in Jukebox.
    PowerMac G4 MDD 1,25 dual (Registered)
    Pegasos II G4 (not working)
    Powerbook G4 1.0 15"
    -=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=
    http://amigalandia.blogspot.com.es/
  • »26.08.14 - 23:00
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    diezi7
    Quote:

jPV wrote:

Single tracks (when there are others too) or whole playlist? "Repeat Playlist" menu option should work for whole playlist (no matter if there's one or more songs).

Hi jPV,

Single tracks in a big playlist. For example, to hear a track 3 times,
    until I want the next to be played randomly.

Repeat playlist is activated, yes.

Thx
    PowerMac G4 MDD 1,25 dual (Registered)
    Pegasos II G4 (not working)
    Powerbook G4 1.0 15"
    -=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=
    http://amigalandia.blogspot.com.es/
  • »27.08.14 - 15:05
    Profile Visit Website
  • Visitor
  • Yuliya Boublikova was next up, with Fifa 14 Coins Golden Fall, a 2D platformer starring an Indiana Jones-inspired squirrel. The objective of the game is to collect golden apples, and the game itself is based on a tale in Greek Mythology where Hercules steals golden apples from the Garden of Hesperides. Yuliya graduated from the animation program at Sheridan College and currently works as a freelance animator and illustrator. Yuliya has actually had the squirrel character in mind for a number of years, and FIfa 15 Coins realised that the DMG incubator would be an excellent opportunity to create a game that €reflected her artistic sensibilities.€
  • »31.08.14 - 08:17