Restoring from backups
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    TheMagicM
    Has anyone restored an entire system from backups? What do you use to back up?

I havent yet.. but I have used tar to back up to my NAS and then right now I'm trying BackMan to see how it works out.

To restore..would there be a problem doing it this way:

Boot MorphOS (currently on 3.5.1).
    Create partitions
    Install MorphOS

tar xf boot.tar (DH0:)
    tar xf dh1.tar
    tar xf dh2.tar

...all of this on a running MorphOS system. Would this work?
  • »23.04.14 - 00:31
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    geit
    Quote:

...all of this on a running MorphOS system. Would this work?

Yes, this will work, but you may loose file flags like the "S"-Flag, so e.g. scripts you normaly run using an icon will fail until you set the s flag again.

For MorphOS specifiy files, there are already two scripts to fix. Both are located in root of the cd iso. hdinstall.fixc and hdinstall.fixscripts. You can create a similar script for your applications.

I you are using a mac and you replace/overwrite files on the hfs partition, make sure you use hfssetmacboot on the bootinfo.txt.

Geit

[ Edited by geit 23.04.2014 - 01:42 ]
  • »23.04.14 - 00:39
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    TheMagicM
    Is there something that will preserve flags while backing up?
  • »23.04.14 - 00:41
    Profile Visit Website
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    Quote:

TheMagicM wrote:

Back up by copying the files to Amiga compatible filesystem (either whole drive formatted to it or image file which is formatted to it). Or make ISO image with some Amiga/MorphOS burning program which preserves the protection bits. Or use some Amiga specific packer which would preserve them (LHA for example), but it can be quite slow. Probably some other options too, like Diavolo etc.

I myself prefer using USB storage which is formatted to SFS. Then I just copy files with "copy all clone" or use BackUp program which also preserves the possible soft links and keeps backup up to date without copying everything over again.

When you have files as they are on separate USB media, it's easy to copy them back when you've booted from MorphOS CD for example.
  • »23.04.14 - 05:47
    Profile Visit Website
  • rms
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    rms
    Quote:

TheMagicM wrote:

well it depends if you need the backup compressed.

What I do is that i use mirrorcopy and i backup the complete content of the 1st hd to a 2nd hd. I let this happen during every night, so next day i have a mirror of the day before on a 2nd disk. All flags, comments, etc. are preserved.

But this needs a 2nd hd with at least the same size as the 1st.

You need mirrorcopy from e. g. morphos-files.net

and a small script, like:
    System:c/mirrorcopy from PM3System: to PM3Backup:System/ ALL BUF=2000 VERBOSE DATE STAT DELDIR deleted CONTINUE
    (this line is for backing up the system partition. You can add other partitons...)

and CyberCron from aminet: to launch the backup at a certain time at night, like:
    00 03 * * * Backup_PM3 > "PM3Backup:backup.log" :OBEYQUEUE b

and that's more or less it.

If you need to restore, for what ever reason, you can start the computer with the MorphOS CD and then copy everything back.

Regards
    Christoph
  • »23.04.14 - 05:50
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    cyfm
    Quote:

rms schrieb:

System:c/mirrorcopy from PM3System: to PM3Backup:System/ ALL BUF=2000 VERBOSE DATE STAT DELDIR deleted CONTINUE
    (this line is for backing up the system partition. You can add other partitons...)

and CyberCron from aminet: to launch the backup at a certain time at night, like:

If you need to restore, for what ever reason, you can start the computer with the MorphOS CD and then copy everything back.

It is probably not that well known but MorphOS also comes with WaitX in mossys:c by default to launch periodic tasks, no external tools like CyberCron needed.
  • »23.04.14 - 12:02
    Profile Visit Website
  • rms
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    rms
    Quote:

pega-1 wrote:
    Quote:

rms schrieb:

It is probably not that well known but MorphOS also comes with WaitX in mossys:c by default to launch periodic tasks, no external tools like CyberCron needed.

yea, thanks to your help I'm just testing it and it seems to work fine! So everything I discribed below is the same except instead of using CyberCron one can use WaitX.
  • »24.04.14 - 04:53
    Profile Visit Website