MS Office (web version) on MorphOS
  • Fab
  • MorphOS Developer
    Fab
    Heh. I tried it once, too. It felt indeed really feature-stripped. By the way, if you have some crashes, try OWB 1.12, since you apparently run a previous version. Some Javascript bugs might have been fixed since.
  • »29.03.11 - 10:16
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > There is another Microsoft office application available there as well, "MS OneNote".
    > I have no idea what that is.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_OneNote
  • »29.03.11 - 11:59
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    MaveRickPL
    Once again. Thank You very much Fab for OWB !
    We should pray for Fab. If he will stop doing OWB we will in a A@#.

Maybe we will star it make a donation for FF for MorphOS ;)

Then You see guys... OO for MOS is not so importent :P

Its only My (Again) opinion.

P.S. Tom have a right. Lets support somethin what exist PageStream and push company to make it better for future...
    I dont need PS but i think to buy it...

[ Edited by MaveRickPL on 2011/3/29 12:18 ]
    MacMini & MorphOS
  • »29.03.11 - 17:12
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    @Fab

But I'm quite sure it is v1.12 I'm using, I've been using it since the same day it was released...

Edit:
    5572142558_0f4a925438_b.jpg

[ Edited by takemehomegrandma on 2011/3/29 22:04 ]
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »29.03.11 - 19:29
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    jcmarcos
    Quote:

MaveRickPL wrote:

Once again. Thank You very much Fab for OWB !

Indeed, Fabien is one of the most valuable assets in the rare community of MorphOS developers. The most, in the application space, in my opinion.

Quote:

make a donation for FF for MorphOS

You mean Firefox? I don't think it would make any sense. IS it "better" than Origyn?

Quote:

Open Office for MOS is not so importent

Fully agree. Even if it got ported (please audience, stop laughing), when it finally came out, everybody would be using precisely cloud based office applications like Office Live. Go figure, Microsoft, the makers of the most successfull office suite ever, have chosen to copy Google's idea.

Quote:

Lets support somethin what exist PageStream

That would make sense. Even if some day one can do DTP online, supporting original Amiga/MorphOS software is a good thing. Just like with Fab's Origyn, by the way. I suspect it's the BEST version for ANY computer.
  • »30.03.11 - 08:21
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Even if it got ported (please audience, stop laughing), when it finally came out,
    > everybody would be using precisely cloud based office applications like Office Live.

I don't see why I'd ever switch to cloud based word processing as long as I've the choice not to do so. And I know I'm not the only one to think so. There are cases when working on confidential documents where you're simply disallowed per contract to use other computers for storage than the one(s) specified in the contract. Uploading the document to the "cloud" would be breach of contract in such cases. So no, I don't think "everybody would be using precisely cloud based office applications".
  • »30.03.11 - 10:08
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    I hadn't considered Andreas' point about NDAs before, but its very valid.
    I also can't really see the advantages of using a cloud based word processor. Honestly, I can carry a pen drive on the off chance that I am going to work on a document at more than one computer.
    And I just don't consider the internet to be secure enough for my personal information.
    Are all cloud based software products run via a secure servers?

[ Edited by Jim on 2011/3/30 21:38 ]
    "Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »30.03.11 - 20:36
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    jcmarcos
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:

I don't think "everybody would be using precisely cloud based office applications".

You are right, security reasons might rule some people out. Then, just add the word "almost" that quoted statement from me.
  • »31.03.11 - 09:01
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Right now, on PCs when I need a simple text editor I'll pull up Wordpad. There are similar tools under MorphOS.
    When I look a the majority of the small operations I do on text, I don't even bother to use a full blown word processor.
    And again, word processors are resource light and have been around a long time.

I am NOT using the internet to perform a task I did before I even had internet access because it offers no benefit/improvement. In fact, its slower, has less features, and relies on a lot of unnecessary technology.
    Where are all the posters that were so offended by the idea of using a X11 solution?
    Guys, this is the same dumb idea, using a server for a word processor.
    Unless documents sharing or central storage are vital then this doesn't have much utility.
    If I want a document sent to someone else, I attach it to an e-mail.

PS - Sorry about the use of the word "dumb", jmarcos. It wasn't meant to be personal, but this is a dumb idea that they've kept trying to sell me on periodically ever since PCs appeared.

[ Edited by Jim on 2011/3/31 14:27 ]
  • »31.03.11 - 13:15
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Where are all the posters that were so offended by the idea of using a X11
    > solution? Guys, this is the same dumb idea, using a server for a word processor.

Reasoning by someone who likes cloud based word processing better than using a local X11 server for it:

"these X11 solutions are no solution at all. It feels really too clumsy to be any usable at all. In this case, even googledocs feels more integrated (and maybe even somewhat faster for some things :))."
    https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7785&forum=9&post_id=82655#82655
  • »31.03.11 - 13:35
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    >It feels really too clumsy

That, IMHO, goes for both solutions.

>In this case, even googledocs feels more integrated (and maybe even somewhat faster for some things)

Personally, our opinion are reversed on this. I think AbiWord looks like a better option for this (faster, more fully featured, LOCAL).

This is where I wish I had the time to devote to porting this. With Fab's recommended X11 server, running on faster Mac hardware, AbiWord definitely looks like a better alternative.

And until the average MorphOS user can decide for themselves, this argument is nothing but opinions.
  • »31.03.11 - 13:56
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    boot_wb
    (Just catching up on libre office postings etc after a couple of months away, and happened to chance upon this gem).

Can't believe I missed this: I was fully expecting MS Office online to require all kinds of MS components to work, but seems to work well so far, no crashes etc (and not that high memory usage so far)

I've been limiting myself to Google docs all this time, didn't even think to try MS.
    www.hullchimneyservices.co.uk

UI: Powerbook 5,6 (1.67GHz, 128MB VRam): OS3.1, OSX 10.5.8
    HTPC: Mac Mini G4 (1,5GHz, 64MB VRam): OS3.1 (ZVNC)
    Audiophile: Efika 5200b (SB Audigy): OS3.1 (VNC + Virtual Monitor)

Windows free since 2011!
  • »08.02.14 - 20:43
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    SoundSquare
    you should be banned for using the Comic Sans MS font in an excel document : )
  • »08.02.14 - 21:10
    boot_wb
    Quote:

SoundSquare wrote:
    you should be banned for using the Comic Sans MS font in an excel document : )

Lol. Blame MS - default setting. :-)
    I do prefer sans-serif fonts in general for specs/reports/quotes though - fancy fonts just get in the way of the damn content.

I've found mporting into Goodle docs mangles most of my historic invoices, quotes etc which use tables a fair bit - hopefully MS web apps will at least be compatible with their own products.

Seems no less snappy so far than Google docs, and kinda-surprisingly-for-MS (although given the target of almost-any-device-compatibility, less so) it doesn't seem to rely on any client-side MS/Adobe crap being installed, nor Java (so far).

I'll be interested to see what speedup Mark's JS JIT project will bring to these sites.

Complete .doc/x compatibility is a big deal for me, since Google docs really isn't quite there yet imo, and reformatting documents after importing them gets old real fast.

Windows free since 2011!
  • »08.02.14 - 23:24
    Profile Visit Website
    boot_wb
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:

Comic Sans MS the MS Excel default font? I don't think so.

Crossposting - thought it was a reply to a screenshot I posted in another thread. Didn't have a mental image of Comic Sans MS in my mind when replying (how stupid do I feel right now, eh?)

Quote:

> kinda-surprisingly-for-MS [...] it doesn't seem to rely on any client-side [...] Adobe crap
    > being installed, nor Java (so far).

I for one don't find it surprising that Microsoft software doesn't require Adobe or Oracle software.

I suspect MS Office mobile apps might just be built on Java. I've certainly tried to access at least one online office that seemed to require flash (although not MS Office, evidently).
    To be a little more accurate, I'm surprised that it doesn't require some unspecified plugins/addons/extensions/whatever to work which just aren't available to us.

[ Edited by boot_wb 09.02.2014 - 00:57 ]

Windows free since 2011!
  • »09.02.14 - 01:56
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > I suspect MS Office mobile apps might just be built on Java.

Microsoft Office Mobile is also available for Android and iOS, so I doubt it is built on Java.
  • »09.02.14 - 02:40