Plex or XBMC
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Acill
    Has anyone ever looked into the possibility of a client for Plex or XBMC even on MOS? Im just curious about how hard it would be to get it working. Im thinking if plex can run on a Roku device and XBMC on a RasberyPI then MOS is plenty powerful enough to do it.
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCI-X (Registration #1894)
    Powerbook 1.67GHZ
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCIE (Registration #6130)
    A4000T CSPPC, Mediator
    Need Repairs, upgrades or a recap in the USA? Visit my website at http://www.acill.com
  • »02.09.13 - 12:43
    Profile Visit Website
  • ASiegel
    Quote:

Acill wrote:
    Has anyone ever looked into the possibility of a client for Plex or XBMC even on MOS? Im just curious about how hard it would be to get it working. Im thinking if plex can run on a Roku device and XBMC on a RasberyPI then MOS is plenty powerful enough to do it.

Plex and XBMC require special hardware decoders to be able to play videos in common formats and sizes on low-end systems such as the Rasperry Pi sufficiently well.
  • »02.09.13 - 13:30
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    What special hardware decoders?
    XBMC has run fine on my last 3 phones and 2 tablets with no special hardware video decoders.
    The Pi has hardware h.264 decoder because the CPU is so weak.
  • »03.09.13 - 07:28
  • MorphOS Developer
    stefkos
    I just looked quickly source code and I see that app is using GLEW. Which means it is using some GL extensions probably not available for MorphOS.
    Anyway, I will check source again in 1-2 months.
  • »03.09.13 - 07:53
    Profile Visit Website
  • ASiegel
    Quote:

mmace wrote:
    What special hardware decoders? XBMC has run fine on my last 3 phones and 2 tablets with no special hardware video decoders.

In my comment, I explained why XMBC works well on the type of weak hardware that Acill referenced in his post.

Whether or not other entirely unspecified devices may run XMBC well without hardware acceleration does not contradict or confim my statement in any way.

That said, if you bother to look up the specifications of the devices you mentioned, you will very likely discover that the used processors did contain h.264 hardware decoding blocks afterall. Even on the fastest high-end phones or tablets, hardware decoding is heavily used to conserve power and extend battery life.
  • »03.09.13 - 07:56
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Jupp3
    mmace,
    Quote:

What special hardware decoders?
    XBMC has run fine on my last 3 phones and 2 tablets with no special hardware video decoders.
    The Pi has hardware h.264 decoder because the CPU is so weak.

Yes, just like said, it's needed for video playback.

If you are fine with slideshow instead of video playback, you don't need the decoder. :-P

No matter how much "lower" Raspberry Pi might feel, it DOES support OpenGL ES2 (in other words, shaders), and whether or not any specific program requires them is the biggest question.

Lack of hardware 3D support was always the #1 excuse for not porting XBMC to PS3's OtherOS (before it was disabled without compensation). Not sure if it requires shaders or not. They are quite old thing already anyway...
  • »03.09.13 - 09:04
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    klesterjr
    The Plex server (which is primarily a Mac app) downgrades the media stream to match the capabilities of the device receiving it. OWB works fine as a web based client (I do it all the time) -- albeit with the same full screen limitations that YouTube, etc. have.

Short answer, MOS already works as a Plex client.
  • »03.09.13 - 14:29
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Acill
    Hmm.. I never tried to log into my plex server through OWB. Good idea there. Not sure why I never thought of that.

EDIT: Well it doesnt work here. I can see my server fine and access all the media but when I play I get the following error: HLS streaming requires the Flash player or native HLS support.

[ Edited by Acill 03.09.2013 - 21:36 ]
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCI-X (Registration #1894)
    Powerbook 1.67GHZ
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCIE (Registration #6130)
    A4000T CSPPC, Mediator
    Need Repairs, upgrades or a recap in the USA? Visit my website at http://www.acill.com
  • »04.09.13 - 04:19
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    klesterjr
    Quote:

Acill wrote:
    Hmm.. I never tried to log into my plex server through OWB. Good idea there. Not sure why I never thought of that.

EDIT: Well it doesnt work here. I can see my server fine and access all the media but when I play I get the following error: HLS streaming requires the Flash player or native HLS support.

Spoof as iPhone -- looks exactly the same but doesn't try to use Flash. Just tested and it works fine -- no stuttering. etc. (on 1.67ghz Powerbook).
  • »05.09.13 - 03:50