Quote:

Intuition wrote:
    Quote:

Jim wrote:
    Quote:

Kronos wrote:
    Quote:

Jim wrote:

At what point did we start worshiping the opinion of a creator of a plagiarized work?

One of the few points in time when I wished I was on the red side.

How I could ridicule Jim ...... how I could troll him with this statement for years to come.....

..... all the fun missed ......... *facepalm*

Pretty easy, consider the man's position on micro kernels (are you aware of it?), and considering the real time OS I have used them under in the past.
    And as far as 'facepalmimg' goes, what kind of kernel does MorphOS use again?

I was able to load and unload drivers under earlier OS' long before I could do it under Linux based ones.
    That still isn't the case in all instances under monolithic kernels.

Maybe you should discuss this with Ralph, not me.

And you are never joining the dark side.
    YOU have a sense of humor and that is not allowed there.

And, again, I am against deifying Linus.

Remind me how all drivers run in separate memory spaces from Exec Jim. ;)

Ah, an old argument.
    Linux continually gets updated to cover its shortfalls.
    Every so often, I will download a distro, use it briefly then go back to a commercial OS.
    It invariably does something that fails me.

And I really wish someone had not brought up rooted phones.
    I'm looking at mine right now with an eye toward throwing it against a wall.

Further, I should know not to argue with Kronos (especially when he has numbers on his side).

Then again, the mob does rule.
    That is how the wintel platform got a lead.
    Doesn't make it right.

[ Edited by Jim 11.11.2015 - 09:35 ]
    "Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »11.11.15 - 14:31
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

Elric wrote:
    Quote:

Jim wrote:

Come to think of it, I regularly consider ditching my Android based cell phone for an iPhone (but the idea of joining that zombie horde troubles me).

Hello!

Somewhat off topic, but Jim, for about equivalent price of an iThing (iCing), there's the Neo900! It's not android nor ios... The project is in progress, pre-orders are ok! I just now haven't the money for it but as soon as, I go!
    I have for now two N900's and it's a pleasure not to have always stupid permissions to let to any apps!!!!

Off topic, but ti's ARM afterall! And even the N900 with it's little Cortex A8 is quite efficient under Maemo...

MorphOSian salutations!

That spec sure looks like it reads "Debian GNU/Linux" on the current model in development.
    And its got a smaller screen than my current cursed phone.

Hey, I can be a curmudgeon, too.
    "Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »11.11.15 - 14:34
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Intuition
    Quote:

Jim wrote:
    Quote:

Intuition wrote:
    Quote:

Jim wrote:
    Quote:

Kronos wrote:
    Quote:

Jim wrote:

At what point did we start worshiping the opinion of a creator of a plagiarized work?

One of the few points in time when I wished I was on the red side.

How I could ridicule Jim ...... how I could troll him with this statement for years to come.....

..... all the fun missed ......... *facepalm*

Pretty easy, consider the man's position on micro kernels (are you aware of it?), and considering the real time OS I have used them under in the past.
    And as far as 'facepalmimg' goes, what kind of kernel does MorphOS use again?

I was able to load and unload drivers under earlier OS' long before I could do it under Linux based ones.
    That still isn't the case in all instances under monolithic kernels.

Maybe you should discuss this with Ralph, not me.

And you are never joining the dark side.
    YOU have a sense of humor and that is not allowed there.

And, again, I am against deifying Linus.

Remind me how all drivers run in separate memory spaces from Exec Jim. ;)

Ah, an old argument.
    Linux continually gets updated to cover its shortfalls.
    Every so often, I will download a distro, use it briefly then go back to a commercial OS.
    It invariably does something that fails me.

And I really wish someone had not brought up rooted phones.
    I'm looking at mine right now with an eye toward throwing it against a wall.

Further, I should know not to argue with Kronos (especially when he has numbers on his side).

Then again, the mob does rule.
    That is how the wintel platform got a lead.
    Doesn't make it right.

You've lost me now Jim.

Your original complaint was that Linux drivers run in kernel space no?

MorphOS (More specifically the A/Box) uses the Exec kernel.

Where do drivers run under Exec?
    1.67GHz 15" PowerBook G4, 1GB RAM, 128MB Radeon 9700M Pro, 64GB SSD, MorphOS 3.15

2.7GHz DP G5, 4GB RAM, 512MB Radeon X1950 Pro, 500GB SSHD, MorphOS 3.9
  • »11.11.15 - 15:00
    Kronos
    Quote:

Jim wrote:

"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." - Benjamin Franklin

"I'm a hard worker." - George W. Bush Jim
  • »11.11.15 - 15:18
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    connor
    Quote:

ASiegel wrote:
    There are people on this website who have managed to get a Mac with better performance for free so even 9 USD is not that impressive :-)

And others get their house for free because the parents give it to them. Doesn't mean that this true for most of us.
    Quote:

ASiegel wrote:
    Seriously, I find higher cost hardware such as NVidias JTX1 a lot more interesting if you plan to run a roughly 50 - 100 USD operating system on it...
    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=nvidia-tegra-jtx1&num=1

THis one looks nice but Nvidia means that we have no single driver for any of their cards and as fa as I remember this was the main reason for chosing Radeon: because they have a better driver documentation. So I guess boarsds like these (boards with any Nvidia graphic chips) are off by default.
  • »12.11.15 - 19:41
  • ASiegel
    Quote:

connor wrote:
    Quote:

ASiegel wrote:
    There are people on this website who have managed to get a Mac with better performance for free so even 9 USD is not that impressive :-)

And others get their house for free because the parents give it to them. Doesn't mean that this true for most of us.

This is a rather crude comparison. My point is that if all you care about is to get the cheapest possible hardware to run MorphOS on, then chances are good you will be able to get an eMac or similar hardware either for free or close to free sooner or later.

Are there going to be exceptions depending on where you live? Obviously, but then again the cited 9 USD is not going to be matched everywhere either due to varying VAT rates, customs tariffs, shipping fees, and so on.

Put more succinctly, access to extremely low-cost hardware is hardly an argument in favor of moving to ARM. The current hardware options already feature a wide gamut of price points. It is the performance area that is a bit lacking.

Quote:

THis one looks nice but Nvidia means that we have no single driver for any of their cards and as fa as I remember this was the main reason for chosing Radeon: because they have a better driver documentation. So I guess boarsds like these (boards with any Nvidia graphic chips) are off by default.

There is an open source driver for the previous generation of the Tegra (K1) at least which nVidia contributed to, but this is very much besides my point: I was not proposing to port MorphOS to this particular hardware or even ARM in general. I was merely stating that I personally find higher end hardware options more interesting as those could offer existing users a performance upgrade.

As far as MorphZone visitors are concerned, requests for faster hardware are certainly a lot more frequent than complaints about excessively high hardware prices (not sure if any recent ones exist) ...
  • »12.11.15 - 20:33
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Haven't heard much recently but X-Gene 2 was due soon with 3 fairly soon after.

More details on X-Gene 3 have been announced while X-Gene 2 is still sampling according to http://www.eetimes.com/document.asp?doc_id=1328249

Press release:
    http://www.apm.com/news/appliedmicro-announces-x-gene-3-the-industrys-first-armv8-a-finfet-server-s/

[ Edited by Andreas_Wolf 17.11.2015 - 00:31 ]
  • »13.11.15 - 11:34
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    minator
    Quote:

ASiegel wrote:
    Are there going to be exceptions depending on where you live? Obviously, but then again the cited 9 USD is not going to be matched everywhere either due to varying VAT rates, customs tariffs, shipping fees, and so on.

Put more succinctly, access to extremely low-cost hardware is hardly an argument in favor of moving to ARM. The current hardware options already feature a wide gamut of price points. It is the performance area that is a bit lacking.

I wasn't suggesting the $9 board as a porting target, more expressing surprise at what you can get for $9 these days!

Quote:

There is an open source driver for the previous generation of the Tegra (K1) at least which nVidia contributed to, but this is very much besides my point: I was not proposing to port MorphOS to this particular hardware or even ARM in general. I was merely stating that I personally find higher end hardware options more interesting as those could offer existing users a performance upgrade.

Would it surprise you that there are benchmarks showing that Nvidia board getting trounced by the iPhone 6S?

Quote:

As far as MorphZone visitors are concerned, requests for faster hardware are certainly a lot more frequent than complaints about excessively high hardware prices (not sure if any recent ones exist) ...

Wow, those G5s have really come down in price! I guess cheap hardware isn't a problem at the moment.

That said they're getting on a bit now. The next gen phones coming in now should show a clear lead over the G5s.
  • »15.11.15 - 01:06
    Profile Visit Website
  • ASiegel
    Quote:

minator wrote:
    I wasn't suggesting the $9 board as a porting target, more expressing surprise at what you can get for $9 these days!

Unfortunately, the pricing on Kickstarter is misleading because 9 USD is not the final price a EU-based customer should have to pay after VAT and potential customs charges (depends on the total order volume).

Furthermore, according to the European WEEE regulations, Next Thing Co. are legally required to register in the national registry of each EU member state where the company sells to end users, in order to fulfil take-back obligations, to report on the quantities placed on the market of each member state, and so on. All of this requires time and adds administrative overhead and costs.

The only way to offer their hardware at 9 USD to EU-based customers would be by breaking the law...

I understand that this is besides your point but I just find it unfortunate how Kickstarter campaigns like this one can skew the price perceptions of consumers who then wrongly complain about being overcharged by greedy local retailers.

Quote:

Would it surprise you that there are benchmarks showing that Nvidia board getting trounced by the iPhone 6S?

Actually, it would not surprise me and I also would not be bothered by it. I mentioned the board because it has a standard desktop-ready form factor as well as 16 GB of memory. Even though the iPhone 6S´ CPU may be faster, I would not want to run a traditional modern desktop operating system on a computing device with just 2 GB of RAM.

Quote:

Wow, those G5s have really come down in price! I guess cheap hardware isn't a problem at the moment.

Not unless you are an impulse buyer who wants to find a cheap offer within minutes. Anybody who is a bit patient should be able to find a good deal.

Quote:

That said they're getting on a bit now. The next gen phones coming in now should show a clear lead over the G5s.

For now, they will also cost more, however :-)
  • »15.11.15 - 10:42
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    OlafSch
    Raspberry for 5$

https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/raspberry-pi-zero/

unbelievable :-o
  • »26.11.15 - 13:31
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Quote:

OlafSch wrote:
    Raspberry for 5$

Even given away for free as a "cover disk" of the December issue of The MagPi!

:-)
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »26.11.15 - 15:37
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Intuition
    Quote:

takemehomegrandma wrote:
    Quote:

OlafSch wrote:
    Raspberry for 5$

Even given away for free as a "cover disk" of the December issue of The MagPi!

:-)

AROS is looking very attractive right now.
    1.67GHz 15" PowerBook G4, 1GB RAM, 128MB Radeon 9700M Pro, 64GB SSD, MorphOS 3.15

• »26.11.15 - 18:08
    connor
    THe situation of AROS does not change. It already had the cheapest hardware available. It just turned cheaper. AROS still has the same bugs and lacks the same features as before. And a computer without internet socket isn't much attractive. Or you have to buy a USB WiFi stick. But is there support for AROS for any of them or the one from the Pi shop?
  • »26.11.15 - 18:20
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    phoenixkonsole
    huh? What? : ) Situation changed very much for AROS.
  • »26.11.15 - 19:17
    connor
    not a single bit. and this website and discussion is about MOS but not AROS.
  • »26.11.15 - 20:01
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    phoenixkonsole
    What? User base exploded compared to aros i386 with the release of pi. So something changed.
  • »26.11.15 - 20:40
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Intuition
    Quote:

connor wrote:
    not a single bit. and this website and discussion is about MOS but not AROS.

I'm sure I'll be corrected if I'm wrong but i thought the General Discussion forum was for general discussion not just MorphOS specific topics.

• »26.11.15 - 21:58
  • ASiegel
    Quote:

Intuition wrote:
    I'm sure I'll be corrected if I'm wrong but i thought the General Discussion forum was for general discussion not just MorphOS specific topics.

This is correct. If the percentage of off-topic discussions were to increase dramatically, then they would probably require a separate dedicated subforum but it has not been necessary so far.
  • »27.11.15 - 09:03
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    OlafSch
    Quote:

connor schrieb:
    THe situation of AROS does not change. It already had the cheapest hardware available. It just turned cheaper. AROS still has the same bugs and lacks the same features as before. And a computer without internet socket isn't much attractive. Or you have to buy a USB WiFi stick. But is there support for AROS for any of them or the one from the Pi shop?

I do not know if it would be worth it but I would be interested to read what same bugs are in Aros and what same features Aros lacks... it would make the discussions more fact-based, most I have read are just emotional or general phrases like "Aros is x years behind". Where? In the API? Desktop? And compared to what?

I have created a thread for that otherwise such discussions would derail this thread:
    https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?topic_id=11458&post_id=123113&order=0&viewmode=flat&pid=0&forum=3#123113

[ Editiert durch OlafSch 27.11.2015 - 09:22 ]
  • »27.11.15 - 09:15
  • ASiegel
    Quote:

connor wrote:

Most folks will also need to spend another 4-5 USD (plus taxes and shipping) just to get full-size USB and HDMI ports so they can use standard cables (or likely spend even more on buying new cables).

If you add up the costs for all accessories that would turn this board into what could roughly be called a "desktop computer", then one could just as well buy a Rasperry Pi 2 and get much better (albeit still quite limited) performance.
  • »27.11.15 - 09:22
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Intuition
    All gone!

http://arstechnica.co.uk/gadgets/2015/11/raspberry-pi-zero-sells-out-within-24-hours/

• »27.11.15 - 15:10
    ausPPC
    No amount of nay-saying changes the Pi's popularity. The fact that it's marketed and made headway as a learning tool for new programmers should underscore its relevance to this community.
    PPC assembly ain't so bad... ;)
  • »27.11.15 - 21:36
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Quote:

minator wrote:
    iPad Pro is getting some good numbers:

http://wccftech.com/apple-a9xipad-pro-benchmarks/

This is truly amazing! :-o

I am certain that Apple could today (if they wanted to) produce a proper desktop/laptop CPU of their own based on their ARM based designs. Maybe they will in a not too distant future? They sure has both the competence and the resources needed. IMHO they have been shooting for a lot more raw CPU performance than phones/tablets really need ever since the Cyclone architecture. A lot more. And in a way it would make sense for them to take control over their entire eco system, i.e. not only the OS but also the HW to the fullest. Who knows, maybe the "Mac" is about to have another ISA migration in the future? ;-)

Quote:

ausPPC wrote:
    No amount of nay-saying changes the Pi's popularity. The fact that it's marketed and made headway as a learning tool for new programmers should underscore its relevance to this community.

I agree.

Though this particular HW is very limited (unless expanded with a couple of add-ons for several (at least!) dollars ;-) ), it sure is a statement that nobody can ignore! Also if you look at it in some kind of future perspective.

When looking at Raspberry as a company and as products, where will they go from here, from the current offerings they have? I think it's quite possible that they, strengthened by their growing trade mark, will diversify "upwards" in the future. In other words, not only offering tiny, limited circuit boards, but perhaps also more like traditional computer products like laptops and maybe even some kind of "computer in a keyboard" (or in a monitor)? Maybe even some kind of desktop?

Apples quick stride in ARM development is very impressive, and they have come the furthest. However, they are not alone in doing interesting stuff on their own based on the ARM ISA, several other companies (and not as closed/proprietary) are moving in the same direction! ARM is definitely moving beyond "phones" into other segments (and has been doing this for years already), and maybe not just the server segments?

Linus Torvalds of Linux fame has said that "2016 will be the year of the ARM Laptop". Presumably he has some insight in various companies efforts.

I created this thread early 2011. Maybe the topic "ARM for the future?" is becoming more and more relevant?

;-)
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »27.11.15 - 22:55