• Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    @ takemehomegrandma,

I don't think we really have a significant difference of opinion.
    I like these new Freescale processors, but even if used in computers they're more suited to a server role.
    Andreas has mentioned the one that would be suitable for MorphOS (the T5010), but if it has the same PCIe limitation as the P5010 then we're stuck with X8 & x1, X4 X4 & x1, or X4 X4 &x$ (i believe, Andreas could correct me on this). It's better than an Acube motherboard would have, but its still not as good as the defunct PA6T.
    A move to ARM would not present that much difficulty. As most ARMs support either endian solutions, emulating a 68K would be easier and more efficient then with an X86 (as would PPC code, but I don't anticipate emulating PPC code).
    The boards are alrady available and the processors are becoming more powerful each year.

I've already mentioned the Pandaboard here and Andreas has pointed out other ARM based SBCs. Compared to a lower end Powermac or an Efika, these systems already have a performance edge.
    If, as you believe, we don't see G5 support, then the natural next step would be something like the Cortex A9 or its successor.

Btw - I too looked at the 8641/8640. It just wasn't fast enough to make sense building boards with (not when cheap G4 Macs were available).
    While I do like the T5010, I can't imagine limited production with it would be much cheaper then the X1000. This makes the ARM boards with their low prices really attractive.
    "Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »27.06.11 - 21:17