• Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Quote:

I for one am very satisfied with the direction the development team has chosen to follow.

Me too. It was surely the best they could do, given the situation were they woke up one day to see all desktop/laptop HW manufacturers suddenly leave PPC behind.

But I think most people understands that this current path is about to reach its end. There aren't coming any more PPC Mac's, and nothing else to replace them either.

I think we will see a MorphOS Powerbook release. I honestly *doubt* we will see a G5 release. And that's pretty much it! The End!

I don't know if you have noticed the differences between Hyperion and the MorphOS developers regarding PPC? Hyperion has time after time publicly denounced the idea of migrating OS4 to a new architecture. It won't happen, possibly because they are bound (?) to PPC by their license (not that they have honored that contract to a greater extent before, but anyway).

But have you seen anyone from the MorphOS team saying that MorphOS will never migrate to a different architecture? I think not! Instead, here are some scattered MorphOS developers comments on the subject:

About choosing PPC as target architecture in the first place, one developer said something in the lines of: "if we would have known back then what we know today, we would have chosen differently" (not an exact quote)

In a response to the comment "I only regret that again we have an announcement about old hardware", a developer said: "Fair enough, but don't whine if it ain't a PowerPC based box ;-)"

In a response to the comment "Due to lack of another new PPC-based hardware, I can make the only conclusion: this is the end of MorphOS :-(", a developer said: "IMHO Apple hardware is the only target that makes sense for PowerPC MorphOS at the moment." (and no, the emphasis was not put there by me, but by the dev himself)

In a response to the comment "Were MorphOS to be rewritten in X86 machine code, program code compiled for MorphOS would have to be specific to MorphOS", a developer said: "First, assembler code is rarely used for the PowerPC-compatible versions of MorphOS." (Insinuation that PPC versions aren't the only ones?)

OK, all this is highly speculative from my side of course. But I have yet to see *any* MorphOS developer publicly rejecting the thought of an architectural migration the rabid way Hyperion does. For all we know, someone could very well have been working on a non-PPC version of MorphOS for a long time already.

Or maybe not, who knows...? ;-)

Quote:

So Andreas, now that you've had time to look a the preliminary data on the new AMP T4240 with its e6500 multihreading core, what do you think?
    Is the PPC dead?
    Is this device unsuitable for desktop use?

I think these processors will perform great in the various network communication applications where they will be used. I don't see Apple *or anyone else* using them to rebuild some kind of new PowerPC based desktop market though. Do you? The 8641 was also a very "suitable" CPU. And the 8610. And the 8640. Genesi had plans to build a new Pegasos and a Netbook based on these, they had some development work done, Matt Sealey (8641D) and Konstantinos Margaritis (8610) had the reference boards and had software up and running, etc. But eventually they shelved it. No-one else did it either, despite them being great CPU's back then (and still are, to a degree). I think they have been used in lots of applications. But not in general desktop computers, despite their "suitability". Ask yourself this question: Why?
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »27.06.11 - 20:47