• Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    The problem with all of these discussions about "cool hardware" or what "ought to be supported" is the time required to create the port and the likely lifetime of the target platform.
    ARM is mutating faster than a virus and what is current now will be dead in only a year or two.
    Also there's a great deal f variation in platforms. What do you support? The choice would be crucial as (just as in AROS' case) it would not be possible to support all the hardware available.

Right now we have equipment that is low priced and performs more than adequately.
    The G5 will greatly increase our processing power with a negligible increase in cost.
    At this point we still have at least a couple of years before we need to worry about moving to another ISA.

I would hope that the developers are thinking about what their future plans will entail.
    But, since the choices to be made will be crucial to the success or failure of MorphOS, these choices need to be made very cautiously.

I for one am very satisfied with the direction the development team has chosen to follow. We have well made, highly available, low cost hardware that works and performs quite well. The useful life span of the Apple hardware we're using has proven to be quite long. Even now, the performance of a G5 system is still relatively competitive.

Once the move is made to another ISA, will the target system(s) have similar longevity?

I'm not disagreeing with any of your point. I'd only advise caution as the decisions to be made are vital to our success or failure.
    "Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »27.06.11 - 13:39