Cloanto sues Hyperion
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > The "Hyperion vs A-Eon" grudge match theory has gone on for a decade

I think it started 7 years ago with A-Eon's change from Belgian CVBA to British Ltd.

> OS4 users just now reminding him they aren't interested in hardware without the name

I recall the Sam440 and Sam460 (also before the "AmigaOne 500" name came to be) have been popular hardware platforms for OS4, as has been the Pegasos II.
  • »18.07.19 - 21:44
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    number6
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    > when the X1000 was first announced on a.org [...] then suddenly a bombastic
    > post from trevordick that it had been scrapped altogether (later it was understood
    > that it was because his initial deal with BenH/Hyperion crashed) but then
    > suddenly that message was withdrawn when a new partner stepped in.

As the message had been declared a hack a mere hour after posting, who was this "new partner" supposed to be?

> They explained the deleted message with the account had been hacked?

They explained the posted message with a hack. The message was deleted by a moderator about an hour later.

is this the message you are referring to?

• »18.07.19 - 22:00
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > interesting

Indeed. What I find most interesting is the fact that the Amiga Parties and Cloanto are not on the same page as to the legality of Hyperion's inclusion of 3.1 into OS4 from 2011 on.
    And of course the revelation that it was McEwen who "took the necessary steps to revive Amiga, Inc." and "reached out to the Amiga, Inc. shareholders, who appointed [him] as Secretary and conferred on [him] the power to revive Amiga, Inc.".
  • »18.07.19 - 22:07
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    number6
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    > activity from the somewhat dormant trademark case

At least they could have the obvious mistakes (see comments #882 and #886) corrected before re-issuing :-)

I never kept track of this specifically, but since there was a release of 3.1 by Hyperion prior to the 3.1.4 release, is it possible this is not an error but a reference to that prior release?

Reference

• »18.07.19 - 23:11
  • rob
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    rob
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    I recall the Sam440 and Sam460 (also before the "AmigaOne 500" name came to be) have been popular hardware platforms for OS4, as has been the Pegasos II.

The AmigaOne 500 was also the first AmigaOne to have the branding on the case.
  • »19.07.19 - 06:51
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > is this the message you are referring to?

If that's the message takemehomegrandma was referring to, then yes ;-) The linked amiga.org thread still has the message quoted by amigadave, vox and takemehomegrandma, btw.
  • »19.07.19 - 21:28
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Quote:

number6 wrote:
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    > post from trevordick that it had been scrapped altogether (later it was understood

As the message had been declared a hack a mere hour after posting, who was this "new partner" supposed to be?

They explained the posted message with a hack. The message was deleted by a moderator about an hour later.

Yes, that’s the one. We were many who read it shortly after it was written. My theory is that Matt Leman also read it, picked up the phone and called Trevor, learned about the derailed Ben Hermans situation and said: “let’s do this you and I instead”. Then he returned to Amiga.org to write: “This is a hoax. I spoke with Trevor today discussing business matters.” Now when we know more about the Ben Hermans situation regarding the AmigaOne leading up to that point, and how the Leman/Dickinson cooperation was formalized shortly after, I hold this explanation as more plausible than their “the account was hacked” explanation. Hacked? Really?!
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »20.07.19 - 00:15
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    number6
    Quote:

takemehomegrandma wrote:
    Quote:

number6 wrote:
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:

Yes, that’s the one. We were many who read it shortly after it was written. My theory is that Matt Leman also read it, picked up the phone and called Trevor, learned about the derailed Ben Hermans situation and said: “let’s do this you and I instead”. Then he returned to Amiga.org to write: “This is a hoax. I spoke with Trevor today discussing business matters.” Now when we know more about the Ben Hermans situation regarding the AmigaOne leading up to that point, and how the Leman/Dickinson cooperation was formalized shortly after, I hold this explanation as more plausible than their “the account was hacked” explanation. Hacked? Really?!

Post was dated January 10, 2012.

a day later
    There's also another thread detailing how many common password were used on Amigaworld at the time, specifically "Amiga", which Trevor had used along with others.

All I can say is that I trusted the staff. *shrug*

• »20.07.19 - 00:53
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    KennyR
    Quote:

takemehomegrandma wrote:
    Yes, that’s the one. We were many who read it shortly after it was written. My theory is that Matt Leman also read it, picked up the phone and called Trevor, learned about the derailed Ben Hermans situation and said: “let’s do this you and I instead”. Then he returned to Amiga.org to write: “This is a hoax. I spoke with Trevor today discussing business matters.”

When I first heard about this on Moo the theory was the mentioned then too, and my initial reaction, (and the opinion that I held for years later) was that any idea of conspiracy was all very far-fetched. But like you, I've been warming to it recently as a result of all these hints from behind the scenes.

Problem to the theory is, as number6 points out, the AWN staff are adamant that it wasn't Trevor who made this post. I'd like to know exactly how they know this: perhaps a logfile showing IP addresses.

[ Edited by KennyR 20.07.2019 - 20:10 ]
  • »20.07.19 - 19:09
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    number6
    Quote:

KennyR wrote:
    Quote:

takemehomegrandma wrote:
    Yes, that’s the one. We were many who read it shortly after it was written. My theory is that Matt Leman also read it, picked up the phone and called Trevor, learned about the derailed Ben Hermans situation and said: “let’s do this you and I instead”. Then he returned to Amiga.org to write: “This is a hoax. I spoke with Trevor today discussing business matters.”

When I first heard about this on Moo the theory was the mentioned then too, and my initial reaction, (and the opinion that I held for years later) was that any idea of conspiracy was all very far-fetched. But like you, I've been warming to it recently as a result of all these hints from behind the scenes.

Problem to the theory is, as number6 points out, the AWN staff are adamant that it wasn't Trevor who made this post. I'd like to know exactly how they know this: perhaps a logfile showing IP addresses.

The dates simply don't make sense.
    tmhg said:
    Quote:

My theory is that Matt Leman also read it, picked up the phone and called Trevor, learned about the derailed Ben Hermans situation and said: “let’s do this you and I instead”

about a message written in January, 2012. But Amigakit and A-eon Technology were already taking orders for X1000 in 2011. See the problem?

• »20.07.19 - 20:37
    KennyR
    Quote:

number6 wrote:
    Quote:

KennyR wrote:

The dates simply don't make sense.
    tmhg said:
    Quote:

My theory is that Matt Leman also read it, picked up the phone and called Trevor, learned about the derailed Ben Hermans situation and said: “let’s do this you and I instead”

about a message written in January, 2012. But Amigakit and A-eon Technology were already taking orders for X1000 in 2011. See the problem?

Yep. Well, it was always about separating the signal from the noise. Not every conspiracy theory is true, and not every apparently strange action has an ulterior cause.

Maybe I'm just in denial that anyone would ever use 'amiga' as a password in an Amiga site.
  • »20.07.19 - 21:14
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    @number6

I’m not saying you are wrong per se (I don’t have any knowledge after all, merely speculations), but AmigaKit (as a dealer) was *always* the exclusive official distributor of X1000. Even for the betatest program; when the first ever production run of X1000’s had been made (in August 2011 IIRC) Varisys sent the batch directly to AmigaKit AFAIK, and nowhere else. Same with “First Contact” later the same year, that the general public could order from AmigaKit. So it is true that AmigaKit was there from the beginning. As a dealer and system builder. Then came January 2012. And after that, the new A-Eon (without Ben Hermans but with Matt Leman) was incorporated early April 2012, right?

Do you have a date (roughly) when the Trevor and Ben Hermans cooperation finally broke down? Like, was it within the first 10 days of January 2012?
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »21.07.19 - 22:59
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    number6
    Quote:

takemehomegrandma wrote:
    @number6

I’m not saying you are wrong per se (I don’t have any knowledge after all, merely speculations), but AmigaKit (as a dealer) was *always* the exclusive official distributor of X1000. Even for the betatest program; when the first ever production run of X1000’s had been made (in August 2011 IIRC) Varisys sent the batch directly to AmigaKit AFAIK, and nowhere else. Same with “First Contact” later the same year, that the general public could order from AmigaKit. So it is true that AmigaKit was there from the beginning. As a dealer and system builder. Then came January 2012. And after that, the new A-Eon (without Ben Hermans but with Matt Leman) was incorporated early April 2012, right?

Do you have a date (roughly) when the Trevor and Ben Hermans cooperation finally broke down? Like, was it within the first 10 days of January 2012?

while waiting for delivery of CPUS

Added: Some other dates that might help you. During the course of the lawsuit against Hyperion VOF:
    Hyperion converts to C.V.B.A. on April 15, 2009
    A-Eon (Belgium) formed 2 days later
    2 years later Evert states (about this time period above):
    Quote:

decided not to become part of A-Eon or the X1000 project

Source

• »21.07.19 - 23:59
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > My theory is that Matt Leman also read it, picked up the phone and called Trevor, learned
    > about the derailed Ben Hermans situation and said: “let’s do this you and I instead”.

By his own admission, Matt Leaman / AmigaKit indeed did "help get the project back on track", as more than just the primary X1000 distributor but not yet an A-Eon shareholder and/or director, when Hermans left A-Eon CVBA in a mess. But this happened already in December 2010, so more than a year before the "account hack" incident.

> I hold this explanation as more plausible than their “the account was hacked” explanation.

The problem of your explanation is that it contradicts the known timeline.
  • »22.07.19 - 21:14
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > I've been warming to it recently as a result of all these hints from behind the scenes. Problem
    > to the theory is [...] the AWN staff are adamant that it wasn't Trevor who made this post.

As if this was the only (or biggest) problem to this theory...
  • »22.07.19 - 21:28
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > The dates simply don't make sense.

Exactly.
  • »22.07.19 - 21:33
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > AmigaKit was there from the beginning. As a dealer and system builder.

Yes, as announced in May 2010.

> Then came January 2012. [...] Do you have a date (roughly) when the Trevor and Ben Hermans
    > cooperation finally broke down? Like, was it within the first 10 days of January 2012?

2012 is not even the right year. It wasn't 2011 either, btw.
  • »22.07.19 - 21:45
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    number6
    @thread

Interesting development:

click link for the trademark case

After forcing C-A Acquistion Corporation to file a separate lawsuit, this seems rather odd.

In addition I've seen a rather vague label concerning a "judicial incident" that appears to be new.

Details when available.

• »01.08.19 - 13:17
    KennyR
    Unfortunately "judicial incident" could either apply to a matter being referred to a court, or a court having judged against someone. We can't know because it isn't legal terminology.

It wouldn't be a stretch to guess Ben hasn't complied with the bank to hand over financial figures, despite the recapitalisation.

I've no idea what happens if someone is late to file in Belgium. Probably just a fine, and another deadline.
  • »01.08.19 - 16:43
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    number6
    @thread

Hyperion's late filing for 2018 accounts

year by year summary

Still nothing from the court re:
    Quote:

Further, Hyperion is involved in a legal proceeding in the European Union that is expected to conclude toward the end of June 2019. The proceeding centers on whether Hyperion may continue as a legal entity in Belgium.

• »08.08.19 - 12:37
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

number6 wrote:
    @thread

Hyperion's late filing for 2018 accounts

year by year summary

Still nothing from the court re:
    Quote:

Further, Hyperion is involved in a legal proceeding in the European Union that is expected to conclude toward the end of June 2019. The proceeding centers on whether Hyperion may continue as a legal entity in Belgium.

Could it be that Hyperion will actually cease to exist as a legal entity in Belgium? Makes me wonder how close Ben Hermans is to giving up on Hyperion Entertainment as a business? I don't imagine that he has made enough money from AmigaOS4 sales to even cover all the legal costs from the initial legal battle with Amiga Inc. AND this current legal struggle with Cloanto and the "Amiga Parties".

Let's give him some encouragement; "Give it up Ben", no one likes you or believes what you say anymore. Obviously no work is being done to develop AmigaOS4 at this point in time (and probably not for the past several months, since Sollie was fired). Just let it go and allow Cloanto and the community to carry what is left of the Amiga forward.
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »08.08.19 - 13:40