• Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    matt3
    @matt3 - Quote:

I took a 2.0 GHz single processor PCIe system and put a 2.5 from a QUAD in it.

@Capricornus wrote: "Nice solution, is the swap difficult? I looked at some videos related to the liquid cooling servicing/replacement and a lot of it looks pretty difficult and risky."

The swap was pretty easy and straight forward. There is a video on yt on how to do that.

As Andreas mentioned, I dumped the entire liquid cooling system and just used the 2.0/2.3 GHz PCIe heatsink on the 2.5 that are massive and much better than heatsinks on the older PCIX systems.

This is my ideal system for the following reasons:
    1. It runs much cooler, since the heatsink is effective and the fans are quiet even under heavy cpu load.
    2. MorphOS only uses 1 core of one processor, so having just one is all that is needed. Technically the 2.5 GHz CPU is a Dual core so you still have an extra core but only one CPU.
    3. It uses PCIe video cards and Bigfoot has a bounty to update MorphOS (like AOS 4.1) to the latest/later Radeon chips. The bounty is likely nearly completed, although I haven't heard from Bigfoot to confirm this.
    4. I use 2 27 dual monitors day to day for MorphOS and you can't do that with a powerbook or imac. I use ZVNC as well, so I can use the same dual monitors with the pc and only one keyboard mouse.
    5. King of the hill status, this system is at the top (the 2.7 PCIX feels faster for video playback and wayfarer) but the PCIe systems have faster buses than the PCIX systems. They also get the newer PCIe video cards where the older PCIX systems use AGP.

The things to consider:
    1. You will need a cheapo PCIx NIC card as the motherboard for ethernet, as this is not officially supported system yet and the onboard nics aren't working yet with MorphOS.
    2. You should keep a PPC/MAC BIOS radeon card so you can easily install/update MorphOS. The new radeon cards do not support it, MorphOS will work and boot just fine on them but the Mac will not boot to open firmware.
    3. The video drivers are in process, so you will need to read over the articles on MZ to see what ones work right now and what ones don't. I'm just using a PPC MAC X1900 and it works fine for me now since it works with dual monitors and boots to open firmware. Cards working on the X5000 may not work on the PowerMac PCIe yet, since Bigfoot is using an X5000 (we need to send him a PCIe Mac :) )
    4. This is not a silent system, the fans do spin at a low speed and isn't that noticeable.
    5. You will need the worlds longest torc drivers to get the heatsink out :)

I use this for my job every day, where 80% of everything is done on it, so my goal was to make this as fast and quiet as possible. It does all this really well, thanks to the MorphOS Team efforts.

[ Edited by matt3 30.11.2023 - 06:56 ]
  • »30.11.23 - 12:44