• Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    matt3
    The 2.7 is really the fastest piece of hardware you can use for MorphOS.

So video playback (as Jaca mentioned) will be much faster on the 2.7. I have even had some luck with some smaller 4k.

For game playback for Doom or other large games, it again will be much faster. I only occasionally play quake 2/3 on my 2.7 and it is much faster than my 7 year old PC. Not sure of the bench strength the MM has for gaming and what games it would drive.

Lastly for using Wayfarer on tougher sites, the 2.7 will show it's CPU grunt and it will provide the best experience possible (be sure to read up on tweaks for that).

The ONLY downside to the 2.7 is taming the cooling and heat. I swapped mine out with coolers from a 2.3 to get rid of the liquid cooling. The liquid cooling in this is the worst and will leak if you don't watch it. They also run the fans the most (given the fastest cpu, it makes sense :) ).

For the best MorphOS experience the 2.7 really can't be beat! Get a X1950 Pro for it as well, they are PC cards so you will still need a Mac Bios card for certain things...

If your just going to play music and want a cool form factor, than the MM will be fine for that.

Quote:

Capricornus wrote:
    Hello,

Is there a good reason for getting a top spec Power Mac G5 to run MorphOS or is a standard Mac Mini G4 enough?

Regards

[ Edited by matt3 27.11.2023 - 09:26 ]
  • »27.11.23 - 15:20