Beginners Setup
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    pikewerfer
    I am currently on vacation, therefore no news. Nut stay tuned, I have not forgotten. Will hopefully have something to report soon.
    Mac Mini 1.25 GHZ, 1 GB RAM, MorphOS 3.17
  • »06.08.21 - 06:59
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    pikewerfer
    OK, I am back :-) Continuing my journey down the rabbit hole. I am currently looking for someone who can help me overclock this old Mac so I can get MorphOS to run faster. Having more power might decrease the issue of the browser just reacting too slow to really work with it.

I have also talked to the head of our Type Department, and he is willing to give this a go (after some persuasion and reminding him of favors he owes me). So he will discuss this with Marketing - and we will hopefully get an OK for a font package being released for Morph-Users. YAY! I will let you know once I myself know more.

Anyway, I now got my browser and my email client set up. Works fine. I am now looking for a good Word Processor. Morpheus is cool - but way too buggy. Any tips? I read that Scriba is good?

BTW - how can I make sure that new windows that open are on top?
  • »17.08.21 - 11:41
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    I'd be weary of overclocking a PowerPC. Make sure the cooling works good or you'll end up with a dead CPU.

Windows should normally always open on top, unless an app explicitly wants to prevent this. You'd have to provide more details about what's going on. A video perhaps?
  • »17.08.21 - 12:55
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > I am now looking for a good Word Processor. Morpheus is
    > cool - but way too buggy. Any tips? I read that Scriba is good?

There's also Calimero by the same author as Scriba and Morpheus, who once touted it as the future Scriba replacement. I never tried any of them, though.
    Comment #22 had a recommendation of Folio.
  • »17.08.21 - 13:24
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    @ pikewerfer - Initially I had great hopes for some of the projects by Carsten Siegner regarding his office software. However, after each and every program was released the bugs, and instability were then pointed out to Carsten, but they never seemed to get fixed. Any request for a more standardised approach to wordprocessor functionality, such as, use of Control or Alt, in combination with other keypresses, to jump from one word to the next or highlight text for deleting or copying/cutting, and other quite standard features then Carsten didn't change his approach (his prerogative - his program) along with the bugs that he didn't fix, new program, after next new program, more instability, new bugs, all never getting fixed, until the next new buggy program was released.

I then realised that I was wasting my time expecting any of the bugs or non-standard features to be modified to a more standardised feature set, and I rarely waste my time trying them out as they more often than not just end up freezing or crashing MorphOS.

As Andreas Wolf mentioned I like Folio, but I am not sure where Andre Siegel is currently positioned with its successor, as Folio has a few issues in that it saves RTF but can't load it, and I've not found it too successful at saving RTF anyway. You can save PDFs quite successfully, but even its own native document format has its own nuances and problems, well that's what I found. However, I like the idea/concept and have hope that Andre Siegel will follow up the program with a better successor to Folio.

For most of wordprocessing I use PageStream v4 Pro (Classic Amiga version - 68k) which runs using "Trance" the built-in 68k emulator for such software and it runs fairly stably. It also offers features of fonts that you just don't get with basically any other MorphOS program, along with it being fully-featured DTP software, and there is hope of a MorphOS native version 5 still being worked on. :-)

Sadly, most wordprocessor packages that were part of Classic Amiga haven't been updated to MorphOS, and is one side of MorphOS that is lacking. Some users still rely on Final Writer, but recently for me it refuses to start correctly, and WordWorth has issues that make it unsuitable. There was a chance that Final Writer would see a new native version for MorphOS, but this has been left 'hanging' as far as I know. There certainly has not been any headway in news as to its completion of recent months.

There was a chance that Libre Office would make it to Amiga systems, but this has currently not materialised, certainly not for MorphOS.

I don't like 'cloud' software, but I believe Google Docs works OK. I tried it when OWB was initially capable of using the features, but as I don't trust 'cloud' data storage I haven't used it since.

Folio uses OWB but locally as the interface for writing/saving documents to your own local system data storage, that's why I like it, as that seems like a great way of utilising the advanatges of a modern web-browser for wordprocessing/DTP.

I'm not sure what you meant by . . .

Quote:

BTW - how can I make sure that new windows that open are on top?

Do you mean new screens or new programs that you start on Ambient, or just system or HDD directory/folder windows? Or something completely different? :-?

If you mean a new program like Morpheus (if you're brave enough to run it) then you can always open it on its own separate screen - using MUI Prefs options, if you've enough VRAM, which on a 32MB GFX system like your MacMini 1.25GHz might be a bit of a 'stretch', unless you don't use 'Enhanced Display' option.
    MacMini 1.5GHz,64MB VRAM, PowerBooks A1138/9 (Model 5,8/9),PowerMac G5 2.3GHz(DP), iMac A1145 2.1GHz 20", all with MorphOS v3.18+,Airport,Bluetooth,A1016 Keyboard,T-RB22 Mouse,DVD-RW-DL,MiniMax,Firewire/USB2 & MacOSX 10.4/5
  • »18.08.21 - 03:40
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    pikewerfer
    @Andreas - thanks, I will test both Calimero and Scriba and Folio.

@jadadcaps - how would I make a video grabbing the screen?

So what I am currently seeing is:

Scenario A: I open Morpheus. I then open WORK. The window for WORK stays behind Morpheus. Since I double-clicked on WORK after I opened Morpheus, I would expect the WORK window to be in front of Morpheus.

Scenario B: I close Morpheus. Nothing happens. I then notice that there is a small window behind Morpheus saying "Quit the program? OK or CANCEL". This window should be in front of Morpheus, right?

Concerning overclocking - I was told that overclocking the Mac mini from 1.25 to 1.5 would work with the cooling provided with the Mac mini. I am willing to try it - provided I can find someone to do it for me. :-)
  • »18.08.21 - 12:50
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    Quote:

pikewerfer wrote:
    Scenario A: I open Morpheus. I then open WORK. The window for WORK stays behind Morpheus. Since I double-clicked on WORK after I opened Morpheus, I would expect the WORK window to be in front of Morpheus.

Scenario B: I close Morpheus. Nothing happens. I then notice that there is a small window behind Morpheus saying "Quit the program? OK or CANCEL". This window should be in front of Morpheus, right?

Does this happen with all programs or just with Morpheus? If it happens only with Morpheus, maybe it has "always on top" window and you should complain to Carsten ;)
  • »18.08.21 - 19:22
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    Quote:

pikewerfer wrote: Scenario A: I open Morpheus. I then open WORK. The window for WORK stays behind Morpheus. Since I double-clicked on WORK after I opened Morpheus, I would expect the WORK window to be in front of Morpheus.

Have you got System> Settings> IControl> Hotkeys> Active Window: To Front (double mouse_leftpress) active/commented?

I also have Alt-Tab utility available, so by using those keys (like MS Windows) you can swap the current window to any other one of the your inactive wndows to become the active one by however many number of windows you have active you need to cycle through to become the one you want to be the active window.
    Quote:

pikewerfer wrote: Scenario B: I close Morpheus. Nothing happens. I then notice that there is a small window behind Morpheus saying "Quit the program? OK or CANCEL". This window should be in front of Morpheus, right?

Don't forget you are trying out one of the most "buggy" programs there is (IMHO), so many of the things you might rightfully expect to happen just don't, and you're lucky that you haven't had a crash with it when using it. :-( However, you're right it should be in the front, but using either Alt-Tab or clicking the left or right mouse button over the front-back icon in a window will give you other options to see any window that is still open to take whatever action you want to confirm/use/close - at least that should happen. ;-)
    Quote:

pikewerfer wrote: Concerning overclocking - I was told that overclocking the Mac mini from 1.25 to 1.5 would work with the cooling provided with the Mac mini. I am willing to try it - provided I can find someone to do it for me. :-)

I wish you luck finding someone to take on that challenge, and make a success of it. 8-)
    MacMini 1.5GHz,64MB VRAM, PowerBooks A1138/9 (Model 5,8/9),PowerMac G5 2.3GHz(DP), iMac A1145 2.1GHz 20", all with MorphOS v3.18+,Airport,Bluetooth,A1016 Keyboard,T-RB22 Mouse,DVD-RW-DL,MiniMax,Firewire/USB2 & MacOSX 10.4/5
  • »18.08.21 - 19:29