• Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

CraigE wrote:
    I'm quite surprised about a port to x64 to be honest, I always (maybe incorrectly?) thought of MorphOS as the OS of PPC :)

It is, and has always been a PPC only OS, since it was first created, but given the fact that PPC CPUs for desktop computers are most likely to never be created again in the future, and the currently available PPC CPUs are aimed at high end servers (very expensive), or embedded machines, usually for some kind of communications application, and with an uncertain future lifespan, the MorphOS Dev. Team has decided (confirmed by several members on several occasions) to move MorphOS to x64 some time in the future.

As I previously stated, it is unknown how long this port to x64 will take, but estimates are a minimum of several months, and the maximum time estimated as years, or a possibility that the task will be too difficult, or the team members will lose interest, and the project will never be completed (but I hope not, and I have faith that enough of the members are dedicated enough to stick with the project long enough to finish it).

The MorphOS Dev. Team members are some of the most talented programmers I have experienced, so I believe they will create a fantastic x64 version of MorphOS within the next couple of years. I believe the challenge will be how many existing users will decide to make the switch to x64, when a version of MorphOS for x64 is finally available, and Amiga compatibility is only available through EUAE emulation, because the current MorphOS Amiga translation layer will no longer be built into the x64 version of MorphOS. I will certainly make the switch, while also keeping at least 1 or 2 of my current PPC MorphOS systems, and I think most of our current users will do the same.
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »29.05.17 - 21:47