• Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

lsitongia wrote:
    Hello,

I'm trying the latest MorphOS on my good old Cube (450 MHz, 1.5G RAM). After a few attempts to install (probably CD drive problems), it is running now. I haven't been able to test it well, in order to decide about purchase, because it hasn't worked reliably. It often hangs for 10-20 seconds. When it isn't hung, I can't get folders to show contents (such as System) nor get applications to run. Nothing seems to happen, and then it hangs worse, with the mouse cursor movable, but no menus and no actions from clicking on folders, applications, menus.

Does anyone have one of these working? It is a supported system. That is, should it work? If affirmative, then I will start looking at hardware problems in my Cube. I hope I can get it working, because it would be great to have a modern OS running on my Cube.

Thanks.
    ==Leonard

The G4 PowerMac Cube is listed in the MorphOS supported list, but there is a note that the bundled USB audio is not supported, so I guess you will not have any audio support with that system.

It should run fairly well, as it runs pretty well on the Efika, which is slower than your G4 Cube, and has far less RAM. That being said, I have not heard from others who have been running MorphOS on a G4 Cube, and I don't personally own one, so I can't offer any help.

Does MacOS9 or early versions of MacOSX run okay on your Cube? If the answer is yes, I would suggest that you reinstall MorphOS, just in case you have some corrupted files that are causing your problems.

MorphOS won't be a screaming fast OS on your 450MHz G4, but with 1.5gb of RAM, I think it should run well enough. Your problems might be related to the video card built into your G4 Cube, and low VRAM. If that is the case, there is not much you can do to improve the performance.

Edit: Just looked up the specs for the G4 Cube on Wikipedia, and it shows them to have a standard AGP slot with either an ATI Rage 128 Pro w/16mb VRAM, an NVidia w/32mb VRAM, or an ATI Radeon w/32mb VRAM. If you have the ATI Radeon w/32mb VRAM, you might need to reduce the color depth and turn off the enhanced features of the graphics system in MorphOS, but otherwise, it should work okay, like the 32mb VRAM G4 MacMini's. Can you upgrade the video card to a better one with more VRAM in the Cube, or is it impossible to find short length video cards for it that are newer than the original ATI Radeon card?

[ Edited by amigadave 26.05.2017 - 20:16 ]
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »27.05.17 - 03:08