• jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    Quote:

Valsu wrote:
    Quote:

jPV schrieb:
    It's quite usual if you run badly behaving programs, but if you check little what programs you run, you can get pretty stable system.

Check out the debug log frequently for hits when running (new) programs to see which ones should be avoided. If you have hits there (hundreds of dumped lines), something has done something nasty and system won't probably be stable anymore.

Most likely your hw is just fine, but you've just run some broken programs.

Hello jPV, thank you for the quick answer! Strangely, I hit on instability when
    - running the installer from the live cd

That's quite unusual, maybe you shouldn't rule out fautly memory or so yet either.

Quote:

- loading some website in OWB

That can happen, because OWB (mainly its engine/javascript engine/videoplayer) isn't completely bug free and depending the pages you visit (or their bloatness) you may see hits in the debug log by OWB. In those situations I think it's better to reboot before it messes memory that bad that it's going to hang the system.

Also keep an eye on memory consumption to avoid possible crashes. Webkit's javascript engine leaks memory and the heavier js pages you visit the faster you run out of memory. Although OWB should handle the out-of-memory situation pretty cleanly, it's still much better to close OWB manually before running out of memory. OWB tracks the js engine leaks and frees the memory cleanly when you quit it, and you can then just relaunch it (no need to reboot the whole machine).

Quote:

- changing screen settings

TBH I think there could be some unstability within the OS itself in this area. It's been somehow hit or miss to change some settings which need to reopen the Ambient screen (like enhanced mode settings or screen font settings). At least on some systems like my quite customly configured Mac mini... maybe you have found the same issue. When I need to change such settings I save settings and if it happens to hang, the setting is usually changed after a reboot. If not, the second try brings the wanted result :) It probably isn't that common issue that it'd happen for everyone, or most people aren't changing those settings that often, or it's depending the system... I haven't figured out any exact way to reproduce it or don't know what exactly should be blamed... but I've reported it forward. Let's see if it's any better with the next update, or if you found a specific way to reproduce it, make a bug report too.

Quote:

If you tell me this problems spread over a variety of applications are something that simply can happen on MorphOS, then that's fine by me.
    I just want to rule out faulty hardware, that's all. And I'll just check the log from now, thanks for the hint :-)

It definitely can happen on a system without memory protection, but if it gets too frequent and you can't isolate it to any specific programs/situations, it of course can be hardware fault too. But I just wouldn't point directly to hw especially if hw tests look fine etc. I guess it would be relatively easy to clean the fan etc or switch the ram module for a test too...

[ Edited by jPV 29.01.2017 - 10:25 ]
  • »29.01.17 - 08:23
    Profile Visit Website