Dual boot with Debian 8 possible?
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    ernsteiswuerfel
    Quote:

Elowan schrieb:
    Ok, I renamed the UUIDs to the right "dev/sda´s", like so: Qud8pXy.jpg and o3sIxmR.jpg

then I tried to "ybin", but it fails (as always): 5XwCERo.jpg a bit strange, seems like "sda2" is missing all the time I try to run ybin, but it´s there...

guess it´s fucked up!

It definitely is. Just tried out replacing the UUIDs with /dev/sda* like you did and this works on my PowerBook without any problem.
    Quote:

Elowan schrieb:
    Here is my idea: would it work, if I just copy my sda3 data to USB Stick, re-install linux and then just copy data from usb to harddisk?

The problem is (like I posted in the beginning of this thread), that I do not want to setup all stuff again in debian...

Is there a way to boot from ubuntu cd, somehow make a copy of all data from my ext4 linux partition and later write back onto a new install?

Good idea, this should work.

You can copy/restore partitions easily with gparted from your Ubuntu CD.

1. Backup your root-partition to an USB stick.
    2. Create a new mac partition table with gparted on /dev/sda.
    3. Install MorphOS.
    4. Boot into your Ubuntu CD again. Use gparted to create a HFS-partition for yaboot. Set the "boot"-flag for this HFS-partition using gparted ("Manage Flags").
    5. Create a swap partition.
    6. Copy your root-partition back from USB to /dev/sda using gparted.
    7. Check your new partition table with blkid. You should see only one root partition now, not two partitions with the same UUID, hopefully.. ;-)
    8. Edit your yaboot.conf with the new data learnt from blkid.
    9. ybin -v
    10. Edit fstab with the new data learnt from blkid. UUID for your root should be the same as it was before. swap will have a new UUID as it is newly created.

Good luck!
    Talos II. [Gentoo Linux] | PMac G5 11,2. PMac G4 3,6. PBook G4 5,8. [MorphOS 3.18 / Gentoo Linux] | Vampire V4 SA [ApolloOS / Amiga OS 3.2.2]
  • »24.02.16 - 18:26
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Elowan
    Great, this could be the last resort ;)

I got some questions:

1. how do I exactly backup all data of my "/sda3/ to USB stick? (Commands?!)
    2. how should I create the partition table? make partitions for MOS and debian and swap?

I´ve read somewhere, that debian would just "install to largest free space" on harddisk so.. maybe creating just one partition (hfs?) and then install MOS just with default installation assistant/manager?

edit:sorry just read your post twice - I should create a "mac partition table"? how does this work with gparted? I just formatted a harddisk with OSX tool (Apple_partitions table)??

Please help me once again (maybe the last time, heheheh)?!
    12" ibook G4 1.33Ghz, 1.5GB RAM, ATI 9550 32MB, 16GB SSD, WiFi, BT, ComboDrive
  • »24.02.16 - 20:49
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Elowan
    So I managed to mount sda3 and usb media and started to copy via "cp -r * /media/flash" (media/flash is my mountpoint/directory for USB Stick.

It starts copy files but it rains errors like:

"Cp: cannot create symbolic link" and ": Operation not permitted". When trying to copy via the graphical filemanager, it does not even start, it says something like permission denied...

well - how to copy ???

In gparted I did not manage to "clone" a partition, either...
  • »25.02.16 - 19:02
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Elowan
    Now I used "dd if=/dev/sda3 of=/dev/sdc .... I hope this works and I can clone the partition???
    the stick was formatted FAT32 and the sda3 is ext4... hmmm, don´t know if it will work..

[ Editiert durch Elowan 25.02.2016 - 20:09 ]
  • »25.02.16 - 19:08
    ernsteiswuerfel
    Quote:

Elowan schrieb:
    So I managed to mount sda3 and usb media and started to copy via "cp -r * /media/flash" (media/flash is my mountpoint/directory for USB Stick.

It starts copy files but it rains errors like:

"Cp: cannot create symbolic link" and ": Operation not permitted". When trying to copy via the graphical filemanager, it does not even start, it says something like permission denied...

well - how to copy ???

In gparted I did not manage to "clone" a partition, either...

Cloning a partition in use will not work of course. Neither you will succeed in creating a new partition table when partitions are mounted. You have to unmount your partitions first.

Boot from your Ubuntu CD and use gparted. Simply select an unmounted partition, press STRG+C to copy, choose your USB-stick as destination and press STRG+V to paste the partition here. To make room on the destination you also have to create a new partition table here, simply via the gparted menu.
    Talos II. [Gentoo Linux] | PMac G5 11,2. PMac G4 3,6. PBook G4 5,8. [MorphOS 3.18 / Gentoo Linux] | Vampire V4 SA [ApolloOS / Amiga OS 3.2.2]
  • »25.02.16 - 20:03
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Elowan
    Ok, I see! Now for the partition table, which one should I create? An Apple layout?

I have my 32GB usb stick FAT32 formatted and it´s empty.
  • »25.02.16 - 20:15
    ernsteiswuerfel
    It's not empty, it has a FAT32 partition on it. ;-) If it works, create an Appple layout. But I guess it doesn't matter much since you don't have to boot from it. For backup purposes any new partition table should work.
  • »25.02.16 - 20:49
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Elowan
    hey ernsteiswuerfel,

copy-clone the partition got me some errors after it was done - guess the problem was, I did not specify a partition-table before.

after I'd choose MS-DOS, it starts to copy again, but laptop shuts down half way... the plug of the power-supply was not plugged in fully, so battery was empty *sigh*

today, I will try to just copy the files over by starting nautilus via "gksudo" - maybe this would allow me to copy over all files without "permission denied" problem. if this does not work - well I clone the partition again.

let´s assume, this time I manage to copy everything to usb stick - what´s next?

should I re-format the whole harddisk? make partitions? or install morphos first as a standard-install?
  • »26.02.16 - 07:55
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Elowan
    Ok, I got a perfect working copy of my old sda3 partition on the USB stick.

How to copy them over the new installation?

Should I :

1. delete the new installed partition and copy paste the one from USB back into it?
    2. just copy the files over
    3. delete everything on the new install and then copy files over?
    4. ??????

Kind regards

btw: I went kind of insane and went for the full thing: RYZ8IHo.jpg

and it worked ! I can boot into OSX, Linux and Morphos now :)

Now, I need to copy back my old system (linux), but not sure, how...

[ Editiert durch Elowan 27.02.2016 - 00:18 ]
  • »26.02.16 - 21:42
    ernsteiswuerfel
    Quote:

Elowan schrieb:
    btw: I went kind of insane and went for the full thing: RYZ8IHo.jpg

and it worked ! I can boot into OSX, Linux and Morphos now :)

Now, I need to copy back my old system (linux), but not sure, how...

Congratulations! :-)

As you have already a working Linux root it is more reasonable to just copy the relevant files over from your old root. Best way is to install your desired programs with apt-get install first and then restore your /etc/ config files from your old root. Using a decent filemanager (e.g. emelFM2 on Linux) makes this process more convenient. Mounting your old root from USB will not make ony problems as long as the UUIDs of the root partitions are different.

Because if you delete your new root and clone the old one back on your harddisc it will change the partition order again. Which was not a big problem in my case but as you know this seems different on your machine. ;-)
  • »27.02.16 - 11:38
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Elowan
    To be honest, this was the thing, I want to avoid at all costs (having to install everything again with apt)

Man I do not even know, what I installed it was a lot. Most from non standard repositorys and so on. Having wlan and sound finally working was a PITA !!!! Let alone configuration of window manager and so on, 100 small tweaks here and there...

Can I just copy files over please???

Maybe with diskdump???

I mean, having everything ready again was the plan, therefore we talked for days here at the forum. If I had to setup everything again anyway- well I could have done that days ago

[ Editiert durch Elowan 27.02.2016 - 18:39 ]
  • »27.02.16 - 17:38
    ernsteiswuerfel
    Quote:

Elowan schrieb:
    Man I do not even know, what I installed it was a lot. Most from non standard repositorys and so on. Having wlan and sound finally working was a PITA !!!! Let alone configuration of window manager and so on, 100 small tweaks here and there...

Can I just copy files over please???

I don't know the Debian file structure... It could work if the links are copied properly too. But that's not for sure, you will have to try. This could turn into a PITA as well!

I think it's still less work using gparted to restore your root partition from USB, even if it means messing with your partition table and yaboot.conf again! If your root partition is the last one on the internal harddisc it shouldn't even change the partition order if you delete it and paste the one from USB. Just don't forget to backup your now working yaboot.conf.
  • »28.02.16 - 22:49
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Elowan
    Oh snap!

I think I screwed it up:

the old debian system was ext4, the new debain install is ext2 - so copy paste partition may not work, because of different filesystems, I guess?

Maybe I could:

format the debian partition on hdd with ext4 (and of course delete it)
    copy&paste partition from USB to hdd ?
  • »29.02.16 - 09:51
    ernsteiswuerfel
    Quote:

Elowan schrieb:
    Oh snap!

I think I screwed it up:

the old debian system was ext4, the new debain install is ext2 - so copy paste partition may not work, because of different filesystems, I guess?

Maybe I could:

format the debian partition on hdd with ext4 (and of course delete it)
    copy&paste partition from USB to hdd ?

That's not a problem. Copy & paste a partition means completely overwriting the contents on disk which were there before.

You have just to make sure that there is enough space. If the partitions are of exactly the same size you can just paste the USB one into the HD one. If it won't work gparted will tell you.
  • »29.02.16 - 14:31
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Elowan
    sounds like a piece of cake ;)

will try it later on and report back - thank you!
  • »29.02.16 - 14:39
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Elowan
    I got my debian install back and working perfectly :)

after copy&paste the old data back and setting up yaboot again (thanks to ernsteiswuerfel I knew what I had to do) I can finally boot my linux, OSX and MOS install without a hitch...

Many thanks and Kudos to ernsteiswuerfel :D

BUT - when starting Morphos 3.9, the fans starts to spin and when I open a tool, like the "mounters", it kind of crashes, I can not scroll down the list nor even shut MOS down, without switching ibook off :(

Man, that´s kind of sad... is this a know issue or is my install broken?
    I will open a thread, regarding this problem.

best regards!

[ Editiert durch Elowan 29.02.2016 - 20:19 ]
  • »29.02.16 - 19:19