Dual boot with Debian 8 possible?
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Sorry for being off-topic, but didn't want to start a new thread for this small bit of info.

Does anyone here know who Xeno74 is, the Linux programmer who works on several Linux distro's and kernel's for the A-Eon X1000? He has no contact info on his website, and no link to contact him with, and I no longer have an active account at AmigaWorld.net, (or Amiga.org) where Xeno74 often posts messages, so I can't PM him there.

I believe he lives in Germany somewhere, but haven't yet found any other information about him, or found another way to contact him. I wish to ask him some questions regarding his Linux work for the X1000.

Sorry for this interruption.

Edit: Found his name, Christian Zigotzky, but still have no email address.

[ Edited by amigadave 14.02.2016 - 15:09 ]
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »14.02.16 - 23:02
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Intuition
    Quote:

amigadave wrote:
    Sorry for being off-topic, but didn't want to start a new thread for this small bit of info.

Does anyone here know who Xeno74 is, the Linux programmer who works on several Linux distro's and kernel's for the A-Eon X1000? He has no contact info on his website, and no link to contact him with, and I no longer have an active account at AmigaWorld.net, (or Amiga.org) where Xeno74 often posts messages, so I can't PM him there.

I believe he lives in Germany somewhere, but haven't yet found any other information about him, or found another way to contact him. I wish to ask him some questions regarding his Linux work for the X1000.

Sorry for this interruption.

Edit: Found his name, Christian Zigotzky, but still have no email address.

https://plus.google.com/115515624056477014971
    1.67GHz 15" PowerBook G4, 1GB RAM, 128MB Radeon 9700M Pro, 64GB SSD, MorphOS 3.15

2.7GHz DP G5, 4GB RAM, 512MB Radeon X1950 Pro, 500GB SSHD, MorphOS 3.9
  • »15.02.16 - 00:37
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Xeno74 [...] has no contact info on his website, and no link to contact him with
    > [...] Edit: Found his name, Christian Zigotzky, but still have no email address.

I have found two email addresses:

#1:
    http://www.google.com/search?q=site:lists.ozlabs.org+xenosoft

#2 (bottom of pages):
    http://www.supertuxkart.de/desktop.html
    http://www.supertuxkart.de/voc.html
    http://www.supertuxkart.de/nagios.html
  • »15.02.16 - 00:39
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Elowan
    Quote:

ernsteiswuerfel schrieb:
    Quote:

Elowan schrieb:
    @ernsteiswuerfel

Cam you give further instructions, please?

Whats your partition layout now?

Next step is to boot from the MorphOS-CD and install it on these 2 partitions, with the newly created HFS-partition being the boot partition. The boot-sector gets overwritten in this process, so you need have your bootable Linux iso ready. You can edit yaboot.conf and use ybin from the iso.

Ok, I will post my new partition layout asap.
    I understand, how to install MOS to the two new partitions, I believe.
    But can you be more precise on how to re-configure/edit yaboot.conf from the ubuntu live-cd?

kind regards
    12" ibook G4 1.33Ghz, 1.5GB RAM, ATI 9550 32MB, 16GB SSD, WiFi, BT, ComboDrive
  • »15.02.16 - 07:26
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Elowan
    So I did re-size (move) main debian partition, then added a new one, left 128GB space (unallocated) and created a 60MB "Boot" HFS and a 4,x GB (unformatted) partitions (see image)

click here -> qD5XoRm.jpg

My debian install is kind of dead DAMM IT !!!!
    Says something like "/dev/sda7 unexpected inconsistency" and that sda7 need fsck manually...

what sda7 ???? I got sda 1 to 6 - but no sda7, see image (!)

What to do next?

[ Editiert durch Elowan 15.02.2016 - 21:49 ]
  • »15.02.16 - 18:35
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    TheMagicM
    its called starting from fucking scratch. Look at my post. Look at the partition layout. Make your partitions look like mine, except sized accordingly. Its not that hard.

Install MorphOS first. Boot up MorphOS and look at it. Looks nice, right? Ok, boot from Debian.

Use Guided in Debian and select "largest free space" or something like that.

Once that was done and installed, MorphOS no longer booted as expected. Then edit yaboot.conf, update it while in Debian as previously posted in this thread. Then you're all set.
  • »15.02.16 - 23:23
    Profile Visit Website
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    ernsteiswuerfel
    Quote:

Elowan schrieb:
    So I did re-size (move) main debian partition, then added a new one, left 128GB space (unallocated) and created a 60MB "Boot" HFS and a 4,x GB (unformatted) partitions (see image)

click here -> qD5XoRm.jpg

My debian install is kind of dead DAMM IT !!!!
    Says something like "/dev/sda7 unexpected inconsistency" and that sda7 need fsck manually...

what sda7 ???? I got sda 1 to 6 - but no sda7, see image (!)

What to do next?

Mkay. Not so good... Maybe if partitions are created not at the end of the disk it can screw the numbering scheme? But I don't know for sure. But that's not a big problem, you can fix this as I did that one time before. ;-)

Boot with your Linux Live DVD, open a terminal, go root with sudo su. Type blkid to check your partiton layout. Maybe your partition numbers are shifted now and you are seeing some /dev/sdaX with PARTLABEL="Extra" now. The important thing is to know which partition is your Debian root and which one is the yaboot partition.

I had a quick look on your yaboot.conf. Your root partition was the one with "UUID=926469b7-94af-4d34-8622-a13c249c59be". This should also be the case now. Now it's the time to edit your yaboot.conf on disk. Mount your root with mount /dev/sdaX /mnt/ where X has to be the correct partition number. Then edit your yaboot.conf with pluma /mnt/etc/yaboot.conf & or whatever the text editor is on your Linux Live DVD. I use Ubuntu MATE, so it's pluma.

Search for the root= line. In your case this is root="UUID=926469b7-94af-4d34-8622-a13c249c59be" which should still match the output from blkid. If not, change it accordingly to the correct UUID value of your root shown in blkid.
    Next, check the partition= line above. The number must match the partition number of your root, e.g. if your root is /dev/sda8 then you should write partition=8 here.
    Last thing left is to check the boot= line. This is not a Linux device path but an OpenFirmware device path. It's about the HFS-partition where Linux installed yaboot. On a system with only one harddisc only the partition number at the end matters, e.g. boot="blablabla-part3". The part number here must match the output of blkid too. If your HFS-yaboot partition is /dev/sda3 in Linux terms, then boot="blablabla-part3",

Ok, you are done editing yaboot.conf now. It's time to write the changes to disk with ybin -v -C /mnt/etc/yaboot.conf. Check the output of ybin if it wrote to the correct partitions and 'blessed' them. If everything was correct your Debian will boot again!

So, now you are an expert too. ;-) Here comes the easy part to add MorphOS as a 2nd boot option:
    Edit your yaboot.conf again, adding macos=/dev/sdaX with X being the partition number of your HFS-MorphOS boot-partition. If you want to default to booting MorphOS add another line defaultos=macos. Write the changes to disk with ybin -v again (no need for the -C option here).

That's basically all the magic involved! For more detailed information you can type man yaboot.conf in your shell.
    Talos II. [Gentoo Linux] | PMac G5 11,2. PMac G4 3,6. PBook G4 5,8. [MorphOS 3.18 / Gentoo Linux] | Vampire V4 SA [ApolloOS / Amiga OS 3.2.2]
  • »16.02.16 - 00:26
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Elowan
    thanks a lot ernsteiswuerfel, I will try to follow your instructions.

I guess root partition is fine, because it boots until "4.11 something" and then it complains
    about a "sda7" (which I do not have, if you look at gparted screenshot)...

I compared my screenshots before/after partitioning and I discovered:

After partitioning, there is 128MB unallocated between sda2 and sda3 now.
    And I got sda5 and sda6 as new partitions.

sda4 (linux swap) is at the last position. So the numerical order is kind of different
    , than the listed order.

What was sda1,2,3 and 4 before partitioning, stays the same, number wise.
    Only changes are made to sda3, which is smaller now.

So maybe I have to move "unallocated" away from 3rd position and place it
    before the 64MB hfs partition and move linux swap (sda4) under sda3.

like this: bYn1SW3.png

Then the numerical order should be fine again and match the listed order.
    Maybe that can fix the problem, too?
    I hope partition can be moved just by drag´n´drop in gparted?

The thing is, either my ibook is dead now or it is just the power-supply.
    My battery is empty and even with power attached, ibook does not start...

edit: I ordered a new power-supply, let´s hope the best

[ Editiert durch Elowan 16.02.2016 - 10:08 ]
  • »16.02.16 - 08:31
    ernsteiswuerfel
    Bad luck dude! Hope you get your iBook working again with the new power supply!

On your debian matter: Forget about shifting the partitions around, just use the output from blkid as I wrote. Much easier and faster.
    Talos II. [Gentoo Linux] | PMac G5 11,2. PMac G4 3,6. PBook G4 5,8. [MorphOS 3.18 / Gentoo Linux] | Vampire V4 SA [ApolloOS / Amiga OS 3.2.2]
  • »17.02.16 - 18:48
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Elowan
    thanks ernsteiswuerfel, power suppy should be there at the weekend.

Ok, but I can shift them in "the right order", I guess? Just to have it better organized?
  • »18.02.16 - 07:30
    ernsteiswuerfel
    Quote:

Elowan schrieb:
    Ok, but I can shift them in "the right order", I guess? Just to have it better organized?

Not really. Only if you backup your partitions first, make a new partition table and copy them back afterwards in your desired order.
  • »18.02.16 - 15:58
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Elowan
    The new power supply arrived and the iBook git back to live again :)

So, would it be bad, if I move partitions into propper order?
  • »20.02.16 - 12:51
    ernsteiswuerfel
    Quote:

Elowan schrieb:
    So, would it be bad, if I move partitions into propper order?

Nope, it won't do any harm.

But to change the /dev/sd? numbering scheme you have to delete and re-add partitions in the desired order. At least that's the case on a PCs MBR-partition table. So you need a backup media anyhow.
  • »20.02.16 - 13:04
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Elowan
    OK, I did not move anything, just try to follow your instructions....

blkid shows, that sda2 is bootstrap hfs partition (yaboot)
    , sda3 is same uuid as before, swap is there, also the new partition for morphos, the morphos boot ..... And a 'loop0: type="squashfs"

When I open yaboot.conf in nano, boot=blablabla-part2, partition=3, uuid of root is correct

So it should work (as nothing has changed in yaboot.conf, looks exactly like before I partitioned), but it does not boot into desktop or login manager, system falls back to shell at about 4.something in boot-log sequence.

I guess, partitioning screwed my system

Edit: after check yaboot.conf, I try to ybin -v -C /mnt/etc/yaboot.conf it and got "dev/disk/by-id,/ata...blablabla-part2: no such file or directory ......

This is the boot sequence: P6UdK6h.jpg

[ Editiert durch Elowan 20.02.2016 - 22:43 ]
  • »20.02.16 - 17:48
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Elowan
    can someone say, what´s wrong or if I have to delete everything (debian) now? Or can it be fixed, somehow?
  • »22.02.16 - 08:37
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Elowan
    no ideas??? :(
  • »22.02.16 - 15:19
    ernsteiswuerfel
    Quote:

Elowan schrieb:
    Edit: after check yaboot.conf, I try to ybin -v -C /mnt/etc/yaboot.conf it and got "dev/disk/by-id,/ata...blablabla-part2: no such file or directory ......

This is the boot sequence: P6UdK6h.jpg

What is blkid telling you about this /dev/sda7?

The system believes /dev/sda7 is your root / filesystem. You should check /etc/fstab too if the data in there is correct.

How do you mount your root partition out of the Debian CD to edit /mnt/etc/yaboot.conf?

You can make pictures of your /etc/yaboot.conf /etc/fstab and your blkid-output. I can have a look on it.
  • »22.02.16 - 22:17
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Elowan
    hmmm, blkid reports no sda7 AFAIR - but I will check again and report back.

edit:blkid reports a sda7 - it has got the same UUID as sda3 (which is root)
    GParted does not show a sda7 partition...

I mount the root partition (sda3) like you suggested.

Quote:

Mount your root with mount /dev/sdaX /mnt/ where X has to be the correct partition number.

Thank you for helping me out! I will try to get some pictures uploaded tomorrow asap

[ Editiert durch Elowan 23.02.2016 - 10:04 ]
  • »23.02.16 - 07:34
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Elowan
    here is the mount and blkid image: efzpmyO.jpg

GParted sees no sda7: qD5XoRm.jpg

I am not in front of the ibook now, so i can not check Code:
    /etc/fstab
    for now, but will asap

[ Editiert durch Elowan 23.02.2016 - 10:37 ]
  • »23.02.16 - 09:33
    ernsteiswuerfel
    Mkay, I can see the problem now... Both, yaboot and the fstab seem confused about 2 partitions having the same UUID.

The 'clean' solution would be to delete /dev/sda7 from the partition table. gparted does not show /dev/sda7, but there is a chance that parted will. Enter parted in a terminal (you need to be su), then print at the (parted) command prompt. If some /dev/sda7 is shown here you can delete it from here. Be sure to check the parted manpage. ;-)

If this does not work IMHO you can 'repair' the partition table by copying your partitions 1:1 to a external harddisc, write a new Apple partition table on your internal harddisc (with parted or gparted) and copy the partitions back one by one in the desired order.

The other solution is to use /dev/sdaX in /etc/yaboot.conf AND /etc/fstab instead of the UUIDs. In your case just replace UUID=blabla with /dev/sdaX, e.g. root=/dev/sda3. Be sure to do the same thing in fstab too!
  • »23.02.16 - 14:59
    ernsteiswuerfel
    Quote:

Elowan schrieb:
    here is the mount and blkid image: efzpmyO.jpg

By your attemps to mount /dev/sda3 I can see your Linux experience has room for improvement. ;-)

ybin complains about not finding the "boot="-partition from your yaboot.conf. Check this via ls -al /dev/disk/by-id/ from a terminal and edit your yaboot.conf accordingly. Your blkid-output says this should still be /dev/sda2.
  • »23.02.16 - 15:10
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Elowan
    Here we go:

First off, here is fstab:

vYolny2.jpg

Next up: parted

O1WM9Ud.jpg

And last but not least:

/dev/disk/by-id. FDouh3P.jpg

From what I get, parted does not see sda7, just like gparted.
    So fixing by deleting sda7 will not work, I believe?

Should I try to replace all uuids with sdaX ?

Cheers!

[ Editiert durch Elowan 23.02.2016 - 21:24 ]
  • »23.02.16 - 20:14
    ernsteiswuerfel
    Quote:

Elowan schrieb:
    From what I get, parted does not see sda7, just like gparted.
    So fixing by deleting sda7 will not work, I believe?

Should I try to replace all uuids with sdaX ?

Yep, replace the UUIDS with /dev/sda3 in yaboot.conf and fstab. Maybe you can also replace boot="/dev/blabla" with boot=/dev/sda2 in yaboot.conf. Just try it out, ybin will complain if it's not correct. ;-) I hope one of the two alternatives from /dev/disk/by-id/ will work otherwise.

If this still does not work I guess my knowledge is exhausted. :-/ You will have to backup your partitions and recreate the partition table as I suggested, or an install from scratch of Debian/Ubuntu and MorphOS.
  • »23.02.16 - 23:51
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Elowan
    Ok, so I will try to replace UUIDs with sda first.

So replace just (sharp) UUID with sda? As you see in fstab screenshot, there is some other text behind the UUIDs - I guess this text must remain?

Thanks a lot!
  • »24.02.16 - 08:42
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Elowan
    Ok, I renamed the UUIDs to the right "dev/sda´s", like so: Qud8pXy.jpg and o3sIxmR.jpg

then I tried to "ybin", but it fails (as always): 5XwCERo.jpg a bit strange, seems like "sda2" is missing all the time I try to run ybin, but it´s there...

guess it´s fucked up!

Here is my idea: would it work, if I just copy my sda3 data to USB Stick, re-install linux and then just copy data from usb to harddisk?

The problem is (like I posted in the beginning of this thread), that I do not want to setup all stuff again in debian...

Is there a way to boot from ubuntu cd, somehow make a copy of all data from my ext4 linux partition and later write back onto a new install?
  • »24.02.16 - 17:28