Dual boot with Debian 8 possible?
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Elowan
    hey ernsteiswuefel,

thanks for reply.

Quote:

At the moment you do boot your machine with yaboot, right? So there should already be a /etc/yaboot.conf which you simply need to edit with a text editor. This can be done after installing MorphOS because MorphOS overwrites the boot sector (really sda1 which serves as boot sector) anyhow. The important part is not to forget to write the changes with ybin to disk. Merely Editing yaboot.conf does not change anything.

Yes, yaboot is the debian ppc bootloader. And yes, there is also the config file, which I edited a while ago. Changes must be confimed with ybin ("blessing", I believe)

As you explained, MOS will overwirte the boot sector - so yaboot is gone, i guess?
    This brings up the question, how I can get it back???

So I will need 2xHFS boot partitions (debian and MOS) + one ext4 and one SFS to store some date on... but why a 5th partition? Is this the one between debian and MOS, like in the tutorial???

I will check with gparted and report back, how exactly my current disk layout looks like.

Would be great, if you could have a look at it and give some advice, will you?!

best regards
    12" ibook G4 1.33Ghz, 1.5GB RAM, ATI 9550 32MB, 16GB SSD, WiFi, BT, ComboDrive
  • »22.01.16 - 15:02
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    rlitt01
    http://s15.postimg.org/iewpl6dkb/pic1.jpg
    http://s2.postimg.org/ddplz6r7d/pic2.jpg

This is how your partitions will look after you manually partition the disk. HFS 60MB size: Right click the boot partion and check the box"Show Apple Partition Map". Make sure Boot and Mount(A/UX) is uncheck. Create your SFS partition and right click for edit partition. Make sure Boot and Mount(A/UX) boxes are checked. Format the partitions and make sure DH0 is named Boot(case sensitive). You can name DH1 what ever name you want make sure the SFS partition is formatted. Like was said earlier in the thread you still have to create the 1MB Apple New World partition.

P.S
    You probably want to format with ext2. So, you can mount your partition in MorphOS.

[ Edited by rlitt01 25.01.2016 - 21:20 ]
    Powermac G5(A1047) 2.3GHz Registered MorphOS
    Powerbook G4 PowerBook5,8 1.6GHz Registered MorphOS
    Powermac G5(A1047) 2.0GHz Registered MorphOS
    Icaros Desktop 3.0GHz
  • »26.01.16 - 01:55
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    ernsteiswuerfel
    @Elowan: Any success yet?
    Talos II. [Gentoo Linux] | PMac G5 11,2. PMac G4 3,6. PBook G4 5,8. [MorphOS 3.18 / Gentoo Linux] | Vampire V4 SA [ApolloOS / Amiga OS 3.2.2]
  • »01.02.16 - 21:52
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Elowan
    hey ernsteiswuerfel,

thanks for asking! no, no success at all... I was searching the whole internet, but found no definitive
    solution on how to do exactly, what I want to do.

there are many detailed guides - but they are assuming, you want to have OSX-MOS dual boot or you install MOS first, then another OS, like linux...

best regards!
  • »02.02.16 - 08:48
    ernsteiswuerfel
    Yep, I had the same problem. Only MorphOS & OS X dualboot guides. So I had to try it out on my own. But as I said, it's not that hard if you already have a working yaboot.conf.

Which OS is installed first does not matter in the end. The yaboot.conf must match your real partition layout and you need to finally write your with the ybin command as I said.

If you make a screenshot of your partition layout, e.g. with gparted I can guide you through.

The 'magic' 5th partition is always sda1, a small 32 KiB partition at the beginning of the disk. This is where the Mac partition layout (and the boot sector?) itself is stored. I didn't know that either before. The organisation of the Mac partition layout seems different than MBR or GPT which is used on PCs or RDB which is used on Amigas.
    Talos II. [Gentoo Linux] | PMac G5 11,2. PMac G4 3,6. PBook G4 5,8. [MorphOS 3.18 / Gentoo Linux] | Vampire V4 SA [ApolloOS / Amiga OS 3.2.2]
  • »03.02.16 - 16:25
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > GPT [...] is used on PCs

Intel Macs use GPT as well. APM is used on PPC Macs, btw.
  • »03.02.16 - 21:22
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

rlitt01 wrote:
    http://s15.postimg.org/iewpl6dkb/pic1.jpg
    http://s2.postimg.org/ddplz6r7d/pic2.jpg

This is how your partitions will look after you manually partition the disk. HFS 60MB size: Right click the boot partion and check the box"Show Apple Partition Map". Make sure Boot and Mount(A/UX) is uncheck. Create your SFS partition and right click for edit partition. Make sure Boot and Mount(A/UX) boxes are checked. Format the partitions and make sure DH0 is named Boot(case sensitive). You can name DH1 what ever name you want make sure the SFS partition is formatted. Like was said earlier in the thread you still have to create the 1MB Apple New World partition.

P.S
    You probably want to format with ext2. So, you can mount your partition in MorphOS.

I can't find my Leopard install DVD, so all I have is a couple Tiger install CD's that are for specific hardware (MacMini, and G5 PowerMac), so I have not been able to proceed with attempting a dual, or triple boot setup on my G4 PowerBook that I recently installed the 256gb mSATA and PATA adapter into.

I was able to install Ubuntu PPC v10.10, but I am still looking for my MacOSX Leopard DVD. With the Tiger install CD, I can open the Disk Utilities program and partition the SSD, but no matter what I do, the smallest partition I can make turns out to be 896mb, which is a big waste of space for the MorphOS Boot partition.

I don't want to download a torrent of MacOSX10.5.8, as I am afraid it will be infected with spyware of some kind. I guess I'll just keep looking for my misplaced Leopard install DVD. Can someone confirm that Leopard comes on one DVD, and not several CD's or more than one DVD?
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »03.02.16 - 21:43
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Elowan
    Quote:

ernsteiswuerfel schrieb:
    Yep, I had the same problem. Only MorphOS & OS X dualboot guides. So I had to try it out on my own. But as I said, it's not that hard if you already have a working yaboot.conf.

Which OS is installed first does not matter in the end. The yaboot.conf must match your real partition layout and you need to finally write your with the ybin command as I said.

If you make a screenshot of your partition layout, e.g. with gparted I can guide you through.

The 'magic' 5th partition is always sda1, a small 32 KiB partition at the beginning of the disk. This is where the Mac partition layout (and the boot sector?) itself is stored. I didn't know that either before. The organisation of the Mac partition layout seems different than MBR or GPT which is used on PCs or RDB which is used on Amigas.

Thanks a lot, I will try to get the partition-layout posted, as soon as I manage.

Cheers!
  • »05.02.16 - 08:03
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Elowan
    Ok, this is my yaboot.conf right now:

Code:
    ## yaboot.conf generated by debian-installer
    ##
    ## run: "man yaboot.conf" for details. Do not make changes until you have!!
    ## see also: /usr/share/doc/yaboot/examples for example configurations.
    ##
    ## For a dual-boot menu, add one or more of:
    ## bsd=/dev/hdaX, macos=/dev/hdaY, macosx=/dev/hdaZ

boot="/dev/disk/by-id/ata-CHN-25PATA01M_0520201510211-part2"
    device=/pci@f4000000/ata-6@d/@1
    partition=3
    root="UUID=926469b7-94af-4d34-8622-a13c249c59be"
    timeout=30
    install=/usr/lib/yaboot/yaboot
    magicboot=/usr/lib/yaboot/ofboot
    enablecdboot

image=/boot/vmlinux
    label=Linux
    read-only
    initrd=/boot/initrd.img

image=/boot/vmlinux.old
    label=old
    read-only
    initrd=/boot/initrd.img.old

and my partiion table looks like this:

Code:
    Model: ATA CHN-25PATA01M (scsi)
    Disk /dev/sda: 15,8GB
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
    Partition Table: mac
    Disk Flags:

Number Start End Size File system Name Flags
    1 512B 32,8kB 32,3kB Apple
    2 32,8kB 1033kB 1000kB hfs yaboot boot
    3 1033kB 15,1GB 15,1GB ext4 dbssd
    4 15,1GB 15,8GB 713MB linux-swap(v1) swap swap

I also have a screenshot from gparted - but I can not find a way to attach images to postings on this forum. (only by uploading them elsewhere and linking them)

Cheers!

[ Editiert durch Elowan 08.02.2016 - 09:03 ]
  • »07.02.16 - 10:43
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Elowan
    So - if you´d like to guide me thru, I am sitting here with my laptop, ubuntu mate 15.10 ppc live dvd ubuntu 8.041 LTS live cd, which does not work either - and of course the MOS install cd...

finally found a working ubuntu (12.04 LTS) to boot and run gparted from!

Ready to install ;)

click for gparted screenshot---> V6fA50p.jpg

best regards

[ Editiert durch Elowan 09.02.2016 - 12:59 ]
  • »09.02.16 - 06:48
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Elowan
    Ernst?
  • »11.02.16 - 07:29
    ernsteiswuerfel
    Not much time ATM, sorry. I can go into detail on weekend. First thing to do is to shrink your current partitions (with gparted) and add a 60 MB HFS partition and a partition for MorphOS. Thats all you need for installing MorphOS with your current layout. IT doesn't matter which file system you choose in gparted as you will format them with the MorphOS Live CD.
  • »11.02.16 - 11:10
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Elowan
    hey ernsteiswuerfel,

thanks for reply!

Shrinking the large "dev/sda3" partition by about 4.2GB should be manageable, also creating a new one (60MB HFS) and another partition for MOS (like 4GB) should also be no witchcraft.

I think I can prepare the disk to that point and wait for further instruction, maybe this weekend.

Thanks again!

[ Editiert durch Elowan 11.02.2016 - 13:09 ]
  • »11.02.16 - 12:07
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    TheMagicM
    How responsive/usable would this be on a PB G4 1.67ghz w/2gb ram?
  • »11.02.16 - 14:21
    Profile Visit Website
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

TheMagicM wrote:
    How responsive/usable would this be on a PB G4 1.67ghz w/2gb ram?

VERY.
    I have shipped two of the hi-res 1.67 PB models to our users in Europe and I loaded MorphOS onto one of them before shipment.
    I have a 1.42 GHz iBook and it is fine for my uses, the 1.67 PB is our best supported laptop.

Linux hardware requirements are no where near as high as common commercial OS', since my slower hardware runs Linux fine I can't see why the faster hardware would not do the same.

[ Edited by Jim 11.02.2016 - 10:42 ]
    "Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »11.02.16 - 15:37
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    TheMagicM
    ok. Then I'll download it and test it out. Thanks for the reply Jim.
  • »11.02.16 - 19:43
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    TheMagicM
    LOL..fartin around with Linux...wiped out MorphOS on my PB. Oh well. I'll wait for Debian to download and then I'll install this from scratch, dual booting.
  • »12.02.16 - 03:12
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    TheMagicM
    Well..wifi doesn't work out of the box, haven't tested audio. Gnome errors out and forces me to log out. Openbox is the fastest, Cinnamon switches to software rendering which is slow, Lxde/Xcfe are about the same speed.

Now I'll redo it all and install MorphOS and Debian for dual boot. I just wanted to see how useable Debian is. Not as snappy as MorphOS but definitely useable.
  • »13.02.16 - 18:47
    Profile Visit Website
    ernsteiswuerfel
    @TheMagicM: Some things to get Linux in a usable state:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2301608&page=12

Watch out for lowtech2's postings. He explains what he did afterwards installing Ubuntu MATE. IMHO this should work for Debian too.

MorphOS is definitely A LOT snappier and is able to play youtube and 720p videos reasonably! But on the Linux side I get LibreOffice, Firefox and mail clients which can handle GnuGPG 2.0.x.

[ Editiert durch ernsteiswuerfel 13.02.2016 - 20:13 ]
  • »13.02.16 - 19:12
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    TheMagicM
    Thanks for the tips. I'll read thru them.
  • »13.02.16 - 19:31
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    TheMagicM
    BTW..its simple as hell. ernsteiswuerfel notes are spot on and work perfect.
  • »14.02.16 - 14:25
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    TheMagicM
    Here is my partition layout, done thru MorphOS first..

31k apple
    60mb HFS MorphOS boot files
    120GB SFS "DH1" where MorphOS is installed (and all my other stuff. I put it all in 1 partition)

So What I did first was install MorphOS. What you see up there is what I had before Debian.

I was left with 115GB or so free. So I used Guided in Debian and selected "largest free space" or something like that.

Once that was done and installed, MorphOS no longer booted as expected. Then edit yaboot.conf, update it while in Debian as previously posted in this thread. Then you're all set.

http://imgur.com/72LoYCh

EDIT:
    On my setup I find MATE to be the fastest and most responsive. When I drag Iceweasel it drags slow..with MATE, almost instant.

[ Edited by TheMagicM 14.02.2016 - 09:54 ]
  • »14.02.16 - 15:46
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Elowan
    @TheMagicM

For me, Debian 8 with mate is not very responsive - I installed i3wm anyways, it is really cool.

Morphos live CD is way more responsive, OWB beats icewrasel easily.

OK, after shrinking the partition and setup the hfs and mid partition - what's next?

Where are the instructions, you are taking about, TheMagicM?

@ernsteiswuerfel

Cam you give further instructions, please?

Cheers!
  • »14.02.16 - 20:48
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    TheMagicM
    Look..if you want to dual boot MorphOS, start from scratch. Back up what you have to usb and the have a go at it. No offense, but it sounds like you're on the verge of messing something up and guessing. Starting from scratch is the easiest.
  • »14.02.16 - 20:55
    Profile Visit Website
    ernsteiswuerfel
    Quote:

Elowan schrieb:
    @ernsteiswuerfel

Cam you give further instructions, please?

Whats your partition layout now?

Next step is to boot from the MorphOS-CD and install it on these 2 partitions, with the newly created HFS-partition being the boot partition. The boot-sector gets overwritten in this process, so you need have your bootable Linux iso ready. You can edit yaboot.conf and use ybin from the iso.
  • »14.02.16 - 21:46