New User Issues
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    Quote:

Kidon wrote:

Well, it was unexpected for me too, but it worked. As a matter of fact it's the only thing that worked after several days of trying... Go figure...

Hmh.. sometimes keypresses like "C" aren't taken, more likely if your keyboard is connected to a hub. Maybe pressing Alt triggered keyboard being initialized/recognized better for some reason :)

It's weird that CD didn't show in the startup manager menu... I wonder if "boot cd:,\\:tbxi" from the Open Firmware prompt would work...
  • »13.09.24 - 20:05
    Profile Visit Website
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    Quote:

jPV wrote:
    Quote:

Kidon wrote:

Well, it was unexpected for me too, but it worked. As a matter of fact it's the only thing that worked after several days of trying... Go figure...

Hmh.. sometimes keypresses like "C" aren't taken, more likely if your keyboard is connected to a hub. Maybe pressing Alt triggered keyboard being initialized/recognized better for some reason :)

It's weird that CD didn't show in the startup manager menu... I wonder if "boot cd:,\\:tbxi" from the Open Firmware prompt would work...

Nope, the keyboard was and still is connected directly to the front USB port, no hub.
  • »13.09.24 - 21:43
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    MoerBoer
    Good to hear you are up and running!

Might be worthwhile to do a PRAM reset and see if Alt on its own works or just C.

I know you are up and running it’s just weird behaviour. I’ve also never seen that.

Hope you are enjoying MorphOS and maybe jump on the IRC channel for some chats :-)
  • »14.09.24 - 06:46
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    Quote:

MoerBoer wrote:
    Good to hear you are up and running!

Might be worthwhile to do a PRAM reset and see if Alt on its own works or just C.

I know you are up and running it’s just weird behaviour. I’ve also never seen that.

Hope you are enjoying MorphOS and maybe jump on the IRC channel for some chats :-)

Hi, thanks.

Out of curiosity I tried to reproduce it this morning, and it worked with ALT+C.
    So I decided to try to install it on a new disk. Oddly enough, now no key combination seems to be working. I just reseted the PRAM, and still nothing. I switched keyboards thinking maybe some keys were malfunctioning, but still... ziltch...

I the 40 odd years I've been using a Mac, I've never ever encountered anything that weird.
    BTW, before anyone asks, yes the PRAM battery is brand new.

At least I have a running Morphos HDD.
    The interface is still very weird to me, and isn't very natural. I've never owned an AMIGA...
    Youtube videos don't run, Gmail doesn't connect, etc...
    So I don't know how usefull it is in 2024. How do I join the IRC?

Thanks
  • »14.09.24 - 13:28
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    New development. Since the behavior of the CD drive was very inconsistent, and booting behavior was obviously random, I found an old IDE DVD drive lying around in the basement.
    I properly installed it, replacing the original, and everything now works as intended.
    Intermittent faults are the worst. What a painful journey it was.

Now the question is: Am I going to be able to make use of this new (to me) environment in 2024.

[ Edited by Kidon 14.09.2024 - 16:04 ]
  • »14.09.24 - 15:01
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    SkulleateR
    Quote:

Kidon schrieb:

Now the question is: Am I going to be able to make use of this new (to me) environment in 2024.

[ Edited by Kidon 14.09.2024 - 16:04 ]

Guess that depends on what your expectations are ;-)

Youtube works with Wayfarer Browser, Gmail with IRIS Email Client and so on ...
  • »14.09.24 - 20:48
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    Quote:

SkulleateR wrote:

Guess that depends on what your expectations are ;-)

Youtube works with Wayfarer Browser, Gmail with IRIS Email Client and so on ...

With Wayfarer Youtube tells me that the videos can't be played. IRIS can't authenticate my Gmail account. Maybe I'm doing it all wrong...
  • »14.09.24 - 21:25
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    Please make sure to update both Wayfarer and Iris. The ones that come with MorphOS are already quite old.
  • »15.09.24 - 00:01
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    @ Kidon - If you've never used an Amiga previously then you might have a bit of a learning curve to get the best out of it, and understand it's more intimate workings. 8-D

The screenbar is an unusual feature of MorphOS that can add more features and utilities to MorphOS with easy access to enable/disable them. MUI will probably need a bit of time to become familiar with, as there are so many features to customise the GUI in it, and that is for each screen that you create (and can be for each program).

There are many keyboard shortcuts as standard and many you can modify and add to, both in the Ambient settings, as well as the System and MUI Settings. It is nothing like Windows or Macintosh from that aspect, and probably nothing like Linux either!:-?

It's a great OS, and nice if you like to be able to customise the look of your system. You may also want to add features to it that are the basis of the Chrysalis DVD Add-on (currenlty not available on MorphOS-Storage) that updates and adds features to the more basic look and feel of MorphOS. Papiosaur who authored that disc now has created a program that works like a packet manager called Easy2Install_ v1.0b55.lha that will allow you to add many features to your MorphOS system very easily . . . as long as you have an internet connection, which is no problem it seems. 8-)

I don't know why the Chrysalis Pack is currently not available, but it is a lot of work to maintain, and maybe Papiosaur feels that users should use Easy2Install to add the many features as individual programs and utilities, a sort of pick & choose what you prefer rather than have it all en-masse put onto your system.

Crabum is a worthy addition - which can add additional menus to your right mouse click, but you need to add the original (68k) Amiga rexxsyslib.library into the root Libs directory - via Easy2Install, just search for ARexx.lha.

Remember NEVER change anything in the MOSSYS (MorphOS's main sectiion of the OS) . . . UNLESS it has been specifically OK'd, or you could be back with a non-functional system. That said, you need to change (Rename) the rexxsyslib.library in the MOSSYS Libs directory to read as rexxsyslib.lbrary.dummy so that the one you add from the ARexx.lha download that you place in the separate main System: (root) > Libs directory is used.

Adding features that were part of the Chrysalis Pack will allow you to get more options for different icons and drawers, that you can personalise. Remember you can change desktop icons, skins, patterns in windows to suit with images (PNGs and SVG) that you can find on the internet, usually handled via the Icon's Information window (Cmd + i), or you can swap out your current default icon set for another set.

If you compare MorphOS to Mac OSX Tiger 10.4.11 then it is really efficient, almost instant reactions to everyday programs, but it is noticeably slower compared to internet browsers on modern current hardware. However, what it does compared to the sluggish nature of Mac OSX on the same hardware is quite amazing. You can read Mac OSX formatted HDDs from the PPC era, but you can't write to them. You sadly cannot read Mac OS CDs or DVDs as MorphOS has no handling built-in for the HFS format for such discs (Amiga OS used to support this feature, but that was an older version of HFS for such discs).

You can always swap back to programs on a Dual-Boot, or Triple-Boot (MorphOS/Mac/Linux) system to use programs you prefer when you don't want to use MorphOS for a while, especially while you're learning the differences between what is available and how it all works in MorphOS.

When you update Wayfarer v8.11 (currently the latest) make sure you enable the Setting > Media Playback, and MedialSource Playback as well as make sure the other video features are enabled, but NOT HPV or VP9 Codecs as they are unnecessary for almost any purpose and will slow down your system unnecessarily.

Hope this helps, and welcome on-board to this great alternative OS. 8-D
    MacMini 1.5GHz,64MB VRAM, PowerBooks A1138/9 (Model 5,8/9),PowerMac G5 2.3GHz(DP), iMac A1145 2.1GHz 20", all with MorphOS v3.18+,Airport,Bluetooth,A1016 Keyboard,T-RB22 Mouse,DVD-RW-DL,MiniMax,Firewire/USB2 & MacOSX 10.4/5
  • »15.09.24 - 03:22
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    Quote:

Kidon wrote:
    The interface is still very weird to me, and isn't very natural. I've never owned an AMIGA...

Please read Getting Started - A Beginner's Guide to MorphOS article at MorphOS Library (even though it's not up-to-date at some parts, but should give you a starting point), and there's other valuable information at the site too.

Quote:

Update the browser and email client. YouTube, and in some degree Gmail too, are moving targets.

Quote:

How do I join the IRC?

AmIRC is an ok IRC client, join to #morphos at Libera.
  • »15.09.24 - 11:28
    Profile Visit Website
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    Quote:

NewSense wrote:
    @ Kidon - If you've never used an Amiga previously then you might have a bit of a learning curve to get the best out of it, and understand it's more intimate workings. 8-D

The screenbar is an unusual feature of MorphOS that can add more features and utilities to MorphOS with easy access to enable/disable them. MUI will probably need a bit of time to become familiar with, as there are so many features to customise the GUI in it, and that is for each screen that you create (and can be for each program).

There are many keyboard shortcuts as standard and many you can modify and add to, both in the Ambient settings, as well as the System and MUI Settings. It is nothing like Windows or Macintosh from that aspect, and probably nothing like Linux either!:-?

It's a great OS, and nice if you like to be able to customise the look of your system. You may also want to add features to it that are the basis of the Chrysalis DVD Add-on (currenlty not available on MorphOS-Storage) that updates and adds features to the more basic look and feel of MorphOS. Papiosaur who authored that disc now has created a program that works like a packet manager called Easy2Install_ v1.0b55.lha that will allow you to add many features to your MorphOS system very easily . . . as long as you have an internet connection, which is no problem it seems. 8-)

I don't know why the Chrysalis Pack is currently not available, but it is a lot of work to maintain, and maybe Papiosaur feels that users should use Easy2Install to add the many features as individual programs and utilities, a sort of pick & choose what you prefer rather than have it all en-masse put onto your system.

Crabum is a worthy addition - which can add additional menus to your right mouse click, but you need to add the original (68k) Amiga rexxsyslib.library into the root Libs directory - via Easy2Install, just search for ARexx.lha.

Remember NEVER change anything in the MOSSYS (MorphOS's main sectiion of the OS) . . . UNLESS it has been specifically OK'd, or you could be back with a non-functional system. That said, you need to change (Rename) the rexxsyslib.library in the MOSSYS Libs directory to read as rexxsyslib.lbrary.dummy so that the one you add from the ARexx.lha download that you place in the separate main System: (root) > Libs directory is used.

Adding features that were part of the Chrysalis Pack will allow you to get more options for different icons and drawers, that you can personalise. Remember you can change desktop icons, skins, patterns in windows to suit with images (PNGs and SVG) that you can find on the internet, usually handled via the Icon's Information window (Cmd + i), or you can swap out your current default icon set for another set.

If you compare MorphOS to Mac OSX Tiger 10.4.11 then it is really efficient, almost instant reactions to everyday programs, but it is noticeably slower compared to internet browsers on modern current hardware. However, what it does compared to the sluggish nature of Mac OSX on the same hardware is quite amazing. You can read Mac OSX formatted HDDs from the PPC era, but you can't write to them. You sadly cannot read Mac OS CDs or DVDs as MorphOS has no handling built-in for the HFS format for such discs (Amiga OS used to support this feature, but that was an older version of HFS for such discs).

You can always swap back to programs on a Dual-Boot, or Triple-Boot (MorphOS/Mac/Linux) system to use programs you prefer when you don't want to use MorphOS for a while, especially while you're learning the differences between what is available and how it all works in MorphOS.

When you update Wayfarer v8.11 (currently the latest) make sure you enable the Setting > Media Playback, and MedialSource Playback as well as make sure the other video features are enabled, but NOT HPV or VP9 Codecs as they are unnecessary for almost any purpose and will slow down your system unnecessarily.

Hope this helps, and welcome on-board to this great alternative OS. 8-D

Thank you so very much for all this valuable info!!
    Right now I trying to figure out to install programs. I downloaded Easy-Install, but I have had no luck installing it using the Install program in Tools. Silly, isn't it?
  • »15.09.24 - 15:30
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    Quote:

jPV wrote:
    Quote:

Kidon wrote:

Please read Getting Started - A Beginner's Guide to MorphOS article at MorphOS Library (even though it's not up-to-date at some parts, but should give you a starting point), and there's other valuable information at the site too.

Quote:

Update the browser and email client. YouTube, and in some degree Gmail too, are moving targets.

Quote:

How do I join the IRC?

AmIRC is an ok IRC client, join to #morphos at Libera.

Yep. I will. Trying to figure out things on my own. But I will.
    It's in many ways very different from what I'm used to, mainly MacOS, Windows, Linux, Solaris, HP-UX, and AIX.

Quick question: The AGP GPU in this machine is pretty wimpy. What would be the best recommended card for it? I understand Nvidia is out of the question for Morphos.

Thanks
  • »15.09.24 - 15:38
    Kronos
    Quote:

Kidon wrote:

Right now I trying to figure out to install programs. I downloaded Easy-Install, but I have had no luck installing it using the Install program in Tools. Silly, isn't it?

Thats kinda doing it backwards, "extract" the downloaded archive, go to the new folder and double click the icon.

Next problem you gonna run into will be that your be missing some dependencies which you would need to install in the same way.

Chicken&Egg......
  • »15.09.24 - 15:42
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > What would be the best recommended card for it?

If 'best' means fastest and 3D-supported:
    Radeon X850XT with PPC ROM (original or flashed) if you also need Mac OS X and/or OpenFirmware compatibility.
    Radeon X1950XT if you run only MorphOS (and Linux).
  • »15.09.24 - 16:40
    Kronos
    RadeonHD cards also exist as AGP (got a 5450 in mine) which give you the benefit of having a HDMI port that will do 2560x1440 on modern monitors.

But be aware that at least some of these card don't work on 3.18 (I am running 3.19beta) so you might have to wait a while before you get to use it.
  • »15.09.24 - 16:47
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > RadeonHD cards also exist as AGP (got a 5450 in mine)

An AGP HD5450? As far as I know, AGP ones went only as far up as HD4670.
  • »15.09.24 - 17:00
    Kronos
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    > RadeonHD cards also exist as AGP (got a 5450 in mine)

An AGP HD5450? As far as I know, AGP ones went only as far up as HD4670.

UPS

3450, not sure where that 5 came from.

Rest still stands it does "2k" just fine.
  • »15.09.24 - 17:05
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    Thanks guys. I'll dive into it more soon.

PS: I did installed the dependencies for Easy-Install. Something called mui...something.
    But it now tells me it's not compatible with the OS... I'm going to do a fresh install, and start over.

Yes, the best means the best, the fastest, the most capable. I'm not planning on running MacOS, but it would be good to have bootscreen and Openfirmware compatibility.

Cheers
  • »15.09.24 - 20:55
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    I set up the IRC channel. Usenet sure brings back memories!! Haven't used it in decades!!

[ Edited by Kidon 15.09.2024 - 22:31 ]
  • »15.09.24 - 21:30
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    @ Kidon - DO NOT INSTALL MUI as a separate application/installation - MUI v5 for MorphOS is installed via the main disc or USB installation itself, and is setup to allow the Ambient desktop to function correctly, which is the basis for the whole of MorphOS to run correctly. So, if you install an external but main MUI installation application again from any external source you will probably mess up your whole MorphOS installation. This would be something you really don't want to do! :-(

Such circumstances, like installing programs, are probably going to be more trouble for you, which comes from never having owned an Amiga type system previously. :-?

However, installations are usually handled very logically, and you will soon get the hang of it all.

If you are referring to add-ons for MUI, such as skins, pointers, patterns, MUI mcc (MUI Custom Class) files - usually part(s) of individual features to MUI's utilities, like text-handling, etc., then that will most likely be OK. 8-)
    MacMini 1.5GHz,64MB VRAM, PowerBooks A1138/9 (Model 5,8/9),PowerMac G5 2.3GHz(DP), iMac A1145 2.1GHz 20", all with MorphOS v3.18+,Airport,Bluetooth,A1016 Keyboard,T-RB22 Mouse,DVD-RW-DL,MiniMax,Firewire/USB2 & MacOSX 10.4/5
  • »16.09.24 - 06:28
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Tcheko
    Hi,

If you want to test some stuff, browse at https://www.morphos-storage.net/

Lot of downloadable stuff to tinker with.

Happy hacking. :)

++
    Quelque soit le chemin que tu prendras dans la vie, sache que tu auras des ampoules aux pieds.
    -------
    I need to practice my Kung Fu.
  • »16.09.24 - 16:11
    Profile Visit Website