Capricornus
    Quote:

Capricornus wrote:
    Quote:

matt3 wrote:
    Quote:

Capricornus wrote:
    Hello,

So I have finally found some time to try out my Powermac G5 11,2 with the ATI Radeon X1900 XT 512 MB PCI Express graphics card, and.. the screen stays blank - no chimes, no flashing on the power button, just slowly increasing speed of fans. Any ideas?

Edit: I just read that it needs a separate power connector, oops

Edit: Does anyone have any idea of what cable I need and where to plug it in?

Congratulations!..

So I went to try out the 6 to 6(+2) pin connector and.. the plug is too big for the motherboard socket, turns out I need the 6 pin to mini 6 pin cable :-/ Ordered that today so will probably try again next week.

[ Edited by Capricornus 10.05.2024 - 14:37 ]
  • »10.05.24 - 14:36
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    matt3
    I took a closer look at the card you bought and it is definitely different from what I use.

I have the exact same version as Chris Edwards in his video. So in my experience, I'm not sure if your card even though a Mac variant would work.

Let us know. I looked for the link for the exact card Chris and I used and I couldn't find it.

Quote:

Capricornus wrote:
    Quote:

Capricornus wrote:
    Quote:

matt3 wrote:
    Quote:

Capricornus wrote:
    Hello,

So I have finally found some time to try out my Powermac G5 11,2 with the ATI Radeon X1900 XT 512 MB PCI Express graphics card, and.. the screen stays blank - no chimes, no flashing on the power button, just slowly increasing speed of fans. Any ideas?

Congratulations!..

So I went to try out the 6 to 6(+2) pin connector and.. the plug is too big for the motherboard socket, turns out I need the 6 pin to mini 6 pin cable :-/ Ordered that today so will probably try again next week.
  • »10.05.24 - 15:36
  • Just looking around
    Capricornus
    Quote:

matt3 wrote:
    I took a closer look at the card you bought and it is definitely different from what I use.

I have the exact same version as Chris Edwards in his video. So in my experience, I'm not sure if your card even though a Mac variant would work.

Let us know. I looked for the link for the exact card Chris and I used and I couldn't find it.

Quote:

Capricornus wrote:
    Quote:

Capricornus wrote:
    Quote:

matt3 wrote:
    Quote:

Capricornus wrote:
    Hello,

Congratulations!..

I am a little worried now..
  • »10.05.24 - 15:41
    matt3
    Certainly no worries friend!

It might work, as it has 512meg of video ram and they seem much more compatible from what I have read.

It is just a bit of a crap shoot and I never tried your card. At least you didn't spend crazy money, so for a few bucks it was worth a try.

If it doesn't work, finding a card that will shouldn't be that hard given what people have reported.

This is imho the best system to run MorphOS on, Chris did a good job showing it off. So hang in there, it will be worth it in the end for sure. I use mine everyday and it stays up for weeks before I reboot it. Really enjoy MorphOS on it!

Quote:

Capricornus wrote:
    Quote:

matt3 wrote:

Quote:

Capricornus wrote:
    Quote:

Capricornus wrote:
    Quote:

matt3 wrote:
    Quote:

Capricornus wrote:
    Hello,

Congratulations!..

I am a little worried now..

[ Edited by matt3 10.05.2024 - 12:09 ]
  • »10.05.24 - 17:07
    matt3
    I looked at it again, it certainly looks close enough to mine. I bet it works.

Here is the one I bought:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/281312852047
  • »10.05.24 - 18:47
  • man
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    man
    i have a pci card saphire x1950 256 m pc

i have a powermac g5
    it ll see to use it
    bit it s only the 256 m pc that work on powermac g5
  • »11.05.24 - 15:03
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > i have a pci card saphire x1950 256 m pc

Really PCI? Or PCIe?
  • »11.05.24 - 21:24
  • man
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    man
    a pci e card pc 256 m
    i certainly sold after my imac g5 2.1 ghz if that work
  • »11.05.24 - 21:30
  • Just looking around
    Capricornus
    Ok, I have received the (almost)correct power cable today and (after modifications) tried it again - same story, no video, no noises. So I decided to dig a little more online and it looks like this card will not work with PowerPC G5s, Intel only apparently.

Below are some pictures of the card if anyone is interested. It is back to searching for the right card for me, any recommendations? I need something powerful that will work with OS X and MorphOS because ideally I would like to be able to run both systems from this machine, I don't really care about two screen support, one will be enough for me.

rM5GHFK
    Jyk9nTY
    7vXTDyJ
    Gn4ZWvW
    9WQSjNF
  • »24.05.24 - 14:52
    Kronos
    Not sure what this supposed to be.

The plastic extender looks a lot like the one on the HD5770 that came with my 2010 MacPro so it could be from a 2006 MacPro as these had an X1900XT as an option.
    The gamer looks on the shroud on the other hand speak more for normal PC card.

(edith: some search results indicate that this indeed a genuine MacPro (1.1/2.1) card)

Flashing might be an option, or just running 2 cards connected to 1 monitor (which might/should autoswitch to the active input).

[ Edited by Kronos 24.05.2024 - 16:30 ]
  • »24.05.24 - 15:23
    Kronos
    A quick search found this (281312852047) offer on ebay "Mac Edition Apple G5 PCIe ATI Radeon X1900 GT 256MB" which should give you a better idea what to look (or just buy that one).
  • »24.05.24 - 15:27
  • Just looking around
    Capricornus
    I should add that I haven't tried it with MorphOS, just the OS X currently installed on the G5.

Do you think it might actually work with MorphOS? Should I put MorphOS on a USB and try to boot from there?

I still have the original GeForce 6600 LE which works fine so I don't mind having both cards in there if that's the solution.
  • »24.05.24 - 15:31
    Kronos
    The PC version should have "ATOMBios" so those should work, no idea if the MacPro one also do.

But if you do go dual card, any old 15€ HD card will do just fine (and will come with at least 1 modern output).
  • »24.05.24 - 15:38
    matt3
    I recommend you buy the card I did off of ebay, referenced in my prior post.

It will work with no stress and performs well. Most importantly it is the only card (thanks to Andreas for pointing that out) that you can boot to firmware so it will be the easiest way to go.

Keep us posted!
  • »29.05.24 - 17:06
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Most importantly it is the only card [...] that you can boot to firmware

...and also to OS X, as he said he aims to as late as in comment #59.
  • »29.05.24 - 17:23
    ernsteiswuerfel
    Quote:

Kronos schrieb:
    The PC version should have "ATOMBios" so those should work, no idea if the MacPro one also do.

But if you do go dual card, any old 15€ HD card will do just fine (and will come with at least 1 modern output).

Problem is on the G5 11,2 unfortunately not any old 15 € HD card will do. See: Recent Video Drivers and PCIe cards on PowerMac 11,2
    Talos II. [Gentoo Linux] | PMac G5 11,2. PMac G4 3,6. PBook G4 5,8. [MorphOS 3.18 / Gentoo Linux] | Vampire V4 SA [ApolloOS / Amiga OS 3.2.2]
  • »30.05.24 - 11:24
    Kronos
    @ernsteiswuerfel

My issues (and how they fixed themselves) with the AGP 3450 suggests that at least not all these problems are down to HW.
  • »31.05.24 - 08:27
  • Just looking around
    Capricornus
    Hello All, I have now sold the Powermac G5. As I used it for a bit with OS X I decided that it was much too noisy for me and I couldn't really justify the need for it, also the size started to be an issue too. It's back to the Mini for me and maybe a hunt for a Powerbook G4.

Thank you all for your help!
  • »07.06.24 - 12:52
    matt3
    Quote:

Capricornus wrote:
    Hello All, I have now sold the Powermac G5. As I used it for a bit with OS X I decided that it was much too noisy for me and I couldn't really justify the need for it, also the size started to be an issue too. It's back to the Mini for me and maybe a hunt for a Powerbook G4.

Thank you all for your help!

Good luck! Very surprised it was to loud. My PCIe system with a 2.5GHz is quiet.
  • »07.06.24 - 15:47
  • Just looking around
    Capricornus
    Quote:

matt3 wrote: Good luck! Very surprised it was to loud. My PCIe system with a 2.5GHz is quiet.

Thanks. Honestly it's probably just me, I have been surrounded by laptops and tablets for many years now so anything louder than an idling laptop fan is annoying. I also tend to use my private machines in the late evening/night - so that also means they need to be reasonably quiet.
  • »07.06.24 - 16:43