Hello people! I have a couple of noobie questions!
  • Just looking around
    Hi everyone!

I've been reading through the forum on and off for the past years, I am an old amiga user (the A1200 days) and recently I purchased a used Powerbook 5.8 (1.67ghz CPU, 1.5 GB of RAM and an 80GB HDD) and I started playing around with Morphos, slowly configuring it to my liking. I like using it very much but I have some issues that I can't seem to be able to resolve.

1. I have the powerbook with the lid closed and connected to a 27" quad HD display and when I try to display the native resolution it doesn't show correctly at all, but only Ambient seems to have this problem (I run Quake on 2560*1440 and it seems to display just fine, albeit rather slow). So the display outputs the signal just fine, since Quake can run at that resolution. Is there a way to display my Ambient on quad HD also? 1920*1080 is fine, but it would be great if I could have the full experience with the native res of the display.

2. I have a 10-button MMO mouse connected. Does anyone know of any utility that could see and customise the extra buttons? If there is such a setting on Morphos' settings, I couldn't find it.

3. With a powermac G4 (1.25 & radeon 9200) I had some 6-7 years ago and an older iteration of Morphos I remember I had Quake 2 running with HD textures and I think it was the yamagi version. Now when I try to run yamagi 4.90 on Morphos 3.17 it seems to hang the system and needs a hardware reboot. Does anyone know how to overcome the problem? Is it a known issue? Is there another port of Quake 2 that supports HD textures? Is there a way to find and download an older yamagi version?

Thanks in advance!
  • »27.02.23 - 16:52
    Kronos
    1. with the lid closed at boot the DVI becomes the 1st/main output which might confuse some thing
    a: go to screen prefs and check what resolution is selected
    b: keep the lid open and move Ambient to the 2nd display, also in screen prefs
    Also make sure to use a proper DualLink DVI cable with the full pin out as a simple one won‘t work. Most of the time it is printed on the cable as such

2: those buttons should be programmable in the USB setting, it is a bit hidden and cumbersome

3: could either be a problem SW issues with newer driver or something boiling down to it using something that just doesn’t work on R300 but does on R200.
  • »27.02.23 - 20:35
  • Just looking around
    Quote:

Kronos wrote:
    1. with the lid closed at boot the DVI becomes the 1st/main output which might confuse some thing
    a: go to screen prefs and check what resolution is selected
    b: keep the lid open and move Ambient to the 2nd display, also in screen prefs
    Also make sure to use a proper DualLink DVI cable with the full pin out as a simple one won‘t work. Most of the time it is printed on the cable as such

2: those buttons should be programmable in the USB setting, it is a bit hidden and cumbersome

3: could either be a problem SW issues with newer driver or something boiling down to it using something that just doesn’t work on R300 but does on R200.

Thank you very much for your swift responce! I think before I connected the mac to this monitor I made sure it is a DualLink DVI to HDMI cable. I will have to check again. So you think there is no other reason other than the cable? As for the mouse, I found the settings under USB that make 2 of the side mouse buttons "programmable" but as it misses key features such as "front" and "back" (as in windows and browser front and back) I can not for the life of me make it do what I want. Truly hidden and amazingly cumbersome!
    I got yamagi quake 2 to work, one of the gl files needed renaming to tinygl (for some reason I had to know that) so all good.

Thanks again for the help!
  • »28.02.23 - 00:06
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    HDMI does not go above full HD in DVI adapters. There is no such thing as a dual link to HDMI. If your monitor does not have a dvi-in I am afraid you are stuck with full hd.
  • »28.02.23 - 00:25
    Profile Visit Website
  • ASiegel
    @ progfusion

1440P does work but you would be limited to 30 hz, which can feel a bit choppy or laggy during desktop use (but is probably fine for gaming, i.e. Quake).

So, when you choose a resolution for Ambient, make sure to pick a 30 hz mode. If you pick 60 hz, this will fail as you experienced.

The problem is that the monitor will report to MorphOS that it can display 60 hz, which is technically true. However, your monitor will not get sufficient data to operate at 60 hz via your adapter.
  • »28.02.23 - 07:20
    Kronos
    As a sidenote, active adaptors for DualLink to DisplayPort exist and work at 60Hz/1440.
  • »28.02.23 - 10:24
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    @Kronos

Aren't they working the wrong way though? DisplayPort source, Dual DVI destination. I thought Apple built those to remain compatible with older Apple Cinema Displays that have a single Dual-Link DVI cable (yeah... not even a port, how lame).
  • »28.02.23 - 16:28
    Profile Visit Website
    Kronos
    Nothing Apple about the one I have just the way it would be needed here.
  • »28.02.23 - 16:57
  • Just looking around
    Quote:

ASiegel wrote:
    @ progfusion

1440P does work but you would be limited to 30 hz, which can feel a bit choppy or laggy during desktop use (but is probably fine for gaming, i.e. Quake).

So, when you choose a resolution for Ambient, make sure to pick a 30 hz mode. If you pick 60 hz, this will fail as you experienced.

The problem is that the monitor will report to MorphOS that it can display 60 hz, which is technically true. However, your monitor will not get sufficient data to operate at 60 hz via your adapter.

Thank you for your response!

Today I looked for 2560*1440 @ 30 Hz but there is no such mode by default. Can I create one through editing Monitor Specification? Also, I do not have the manual for my monitor (it's not a brand name so it's a little hard to find full specifications online) so, is it safe to try for 30Hz or is there any chance that it may break the monitor if it can not go that low in frequency?

Thanks in advance!
  • »28.02.23 - 23:33
  • Just looking around
    Quote:

Kronos wrote:
    As a sidenote, active adaptors for DualLink to DisplayPort exist and work at 60Hz/1440.

Problem with that is that my monitor has only one DP input but three HDMIs. And I have my gaming/work PC on the single DP.
  • »28.02.23 - 23:34
  • Just looking around
    Quote:

jacadcaps wrote:
    HDMI does not go above full HD in DVI adapters. There is no such thing as a dual link to HDMI. If your monitor does not have a dvi-in I am afraid you are stuck with full hd.

I guess that's not the case, since as I said in my original post, Quake is playable, albeit quite sluggish, in all its QHD glory. I think ASiegel got it right, it must be the vertical frequency because Morphos is trying to display in 60Hz.
  • »28.02.23 - 23:38
  • ASiegel
    Quote:

progfusion wrote:

Today I looked for 2560*1440 @ 30 Hz but there is no such mode by default. Can I create one through editing Monitor Specification? Also, I do not have the manual for my monitor (it's not a brand name so it's a little hard to find full specifications online) so, is it safe to try for 30Hz or is there any chance that it may break the monitor if it can not go that low in frequency?

Thanks in advance!

Have you tried opening the on-screen menu of your monitor? Usually, there is an "Information" option that displays the model name/type of your monitor as well as details about the currently opened screen mode.

Unlike with old CRT monitors, the risk of damaging your display is close to non-existent as modern displays have built-in hardware for handling image scaling and other features, which will generally test for unknown/unsupported screen modes.
  • »01.03.23 - 11:15
  • Just looking around
    Quote:

ASiegel wrote:
    Quote:

progfusion wrote:

Thanks in advance!

Have you tried opening the on-screen menu of your monitor? Usually, there is an "Information" option that displays the model name/type of your monitor as well as details about the currently opened screen mode.

Unlike with old CRT monitors, the risk of damaging your display is close to non-existent as modern displays have built-in hardware for handling image scaling and other features, which will generally test for unknown/unsupported screen modes.

Morphos information about the monitor says model nc27qgh with minimum frequency being 48 and maximum 144, so I guess I will have to go with that and suppose that even if I force the minimum to 30 and save it, it won't be able to display it, isn't that right? I wasn't able to find any other information about how low it can go other than what Morphos' 48hz. Also, there is no information option in the monitor's menu. Thanks for the help.
  • »01.03.23 - 16:13