Python released on Morphos
  • MorphOS Developer
    CISC
    Quote:

This is the problem: The 2.5.4 library is not compatible with the 2.4.x and below. I've changed many functions and the overall way to support the Python functions pool.

Be sure that I will not change the lib func order (FD's) for 2.x releases.

But if Python itself isn't quite compatible between these versions, perhaps you should make a differently named .library to avoid issues (and bloat a little instead, like on Linux)?

- CISC
  • »10.11.09 - 14:30
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Yomgui
    The rule on the Python team side is:

- no API changes if the sub-minor version number is changed
    - only API add if minor is changed
    - anything possible if major changed

But as I got a very little feedback, it's very possible for me to forget something in the API: specialy with _Py_XXX() function, these functions with an '_' should not be used , normally... but in fact they are! some of them are event used in macros without '_' at start... so.

Anyway, for next releases of 2.x, I'll keep the compatibility, but I can't for the 3.x (dur to the rules explained on top of this post).
    And now... next project!
  • »10.11.09 - 14:56
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Yomgui
    I've just put on the Gribouillis page a standalone version, without any installation process needed (except dl and uncompress the archive :-))
    And now... next project!
  • »11.11.09 - 19:56
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    DiskDoctor
    @Yomgui

Where is zlib.pym module?

I cannot find it here, just getting 404:

http://yellowblue.free.fr/bugtracker/view.php?id=18

I would appreciate if you checked your links because 50% of'em seems to be broken.

Also, any manual on pymui yet?
    Was: Mac Mini PPC running MorphOS 2.4
    Now: Amiga Forever 2010 with AmiKit and AmigaSYS
    Not used: Icaros Desktop 1.2 (reason: no wifi)
    Planned soon: an OS4 system
    Shortly then: a MOS notebook (wifi is a must-have)
  • »26.11.09 - 16:31
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Yomgui
    @Diskdoctor:

Python:
    As it was written "TO BE REMOVED on the next release". And it was! ;-)
    Take a look to the last release (r42), don't use r39 because there is also a bad bug inside.

Note: except this link (not for long), I try to remove all invalid links on my web site as soon as possible. These invalids links are on external web sites and forums, where I'll not make update. Sorry for this forgotten link, but keep a look on my Python page. I can't (not time for that) make support for old releases specialy if some better ones are availables.

PyMUI:
    I've started (and quiet finished) the v0.2. In this one I've totally redesigned the _core.py code and how MUI classes are mapped in Python using the module 'ctypes' that I've also ported (unfinished, only C types usage possible). This module gives me an handy way to manipulate type conversion between the C and Python world.
    Now it's less tricky, more clean, more 'Python'.
    I've also started to re-write Gribouillis with this new API. Just a small bug to fix again and the new Gribouillis is ready (no features added, just usage of PyMUI 0.2).

So you see I've been really busy during this time: and I shall be a father, and I've got gold and I'm sick...
    When v0.2 is on the net, I'll write a tiny documentation to use it. sure!

Thanks!

[ Edited by Yomgui on 2009/11/26 17:55 ]
    And now... next project!
  • »26.11.09 - 17:44
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    DiskDoctor
    I'm using 2.5.4 r42. Take a look at my traceback:

Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "moxl.py", line 100, in <module>
    parser.fillimage(data, size)
    File "moxl.py", line 63, in fillimage
    dfont = load_default_font()
    File "System:Temp/MOS/ImageFont2.py", line 23, in load_default_font
    ff1, FF2
    File "LIBS:python2.5/site-packages/PIL/ImageFont.py", line 103, in _load_pilfont_data
    image.load()
    File "LIBS:python2.5/site-packages/PIL/ImageFile.py", line 180, in load
    d = Image._getdecoder(self.mode, d, a, self.decoderconfig)
    File "LIBS:python2.5/site-packages/PIL/Image.py", line 375, in _getdecoder
    raise IOError("decoder %s not available" % decoder_name)
    IOError: decoder zip not available

This is thrown by PIL - is there any way to provide (default) font for PIL draw routine? I mean in MorphOS.

It is not THAT important, I wrote a PoC code to produce a picture out of an xls file (no use of pymui). Now I will focus on pymui gadgets rather than that, just wanted to try it out using PIL alone.
  • »28.11.09 - 11:58
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    DiskDoctor
    @Yomgui

I read your PyMui tutorial.

Hello World app (after fixing small bug) shows off nothing and causes infinite loop in _core. Also Griboullis doesn't run from the source, numerous errors appear.

Please provide some sensible and working example of an app that has a button that pops up a "button" text. Is that so difficult?

I use python-2.5.4 r42 I guess, plus most recent PyMui, probably (I definitely WON'T update my libraries every week...)

And now... The previous project!
  • »15.12.09 - 20:14
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Yomgui
    @DiscDoctor: I don't like how you take that.

Do you know that I'm each night from 22h00 to 01h00 or more on Blender/Python3 since three weeks? And I'm not talking about my week-end.
    I've got a family with a young child also...

If you're not satify about how I work... You're able to do it yourself!

I've receive very few reports on my projects since many year (only 1 or 2 guys reports me often some comments). That's difficult to know how stuffs work or not.

Last words: when I write some text on my Wiki or by email or on forum during the day, I'm doing it at work where I can't test anything.
    And if you don't want dl an archive each week, don't use it, because on our system development are generaly done by only one person each time that take many times and spent energy to bring some good program to the community.

That's it.

PS: As you have found a mistake in my wiki tutorial, why do you not give the report and a possible fix here, than just say that you 've fixed something?

[ Edited by Yomgui on 2009/12/16 9:43 ]
    And now... next project!
  • »16.12.09 - 08:41
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    SoundSquare
    Thanks DiscDoktor, that's exactly the kind of attitude that made so many devs leave the platform, so please be more constructive and helping instead of flaming. If you don't like it, don't use it, if you think it could be better, then give a hand.

I consider Yomgui as one of the most active developer, he needs encouragement, not grumpy statements.

[ Edited by SoundSquare on 2009/12/16 11:19 ]
  • »16.12.09 - 10:19
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    DiskDoctor
    Quote:

Yomgui wrote:
    @DiscDoctor: I don't like how you take that.

I don't like it on your side either.

Quote:

Do you know that I'm each night from 22h00 to 01h00 or more on Blender/Python3 since three weeks? And I'm not talking about my week-end.

Same here. I can only program while spare time, not every day though

Quote:

I've got a family with a young child also...

Same here, family and kid too! So no big deal anyway, I can understand yourself as long as you understand me. I'm not sure if it happens though, looking at the stuff around.

Quote:

If you're not satify about how I work... You're able to do it yourself!

Yes, I'm not satisfied with next to no tutorial, not working examples, code that doesn't run, continous library rebuilds.

OK I can write my app in C/C++. But then, gimme a year but also please tell that to the community. In Python, most my dev stuff should be done in a month. Of course if I get PyMUI working eventually.

You seem to be like all those linux devs that do stuff mainly for themselves, and cannot take ANY rational criticism on massively violating QA of software engineering (I mean of release management actually).

Quote:

I've receive very few reports on my projects since many year (only 1 or 2 guys reports me often some comments). That's difficult to know how stuffs work or not.

OK you'll be having my reports, that's for sure. But as an example, if you had copy-pasted your example on the wiki, you would see your example has error. You simply didn't do that. QA and linux have so little to do, you seem to follow that path also.

Quote:

Last words: when I write some text on my Wiki or by email or on forum during the day, I'm doing it at work where I can't test anything.
    And if you don't want dl an archive each week, don't use it, because on our system development are generaly done by only one person each time that take many times and spent energy to bring some good program to the community.

I also have work, studies, friends, hobbies, extra classes, family also. So as you can see, you're not much alone in being busy. Knowing this, try to SAVE some other person's time a little more.

Quote:

That's it.

PS: As you have found a mistake in my wiki tutorial, why do you not give the report and a possible fix here, than just say that you 've fixed something?

Because I spent that time on writting this post as such.

@SoundSquare

Please don't call me flaming, behave yourself! We're all adult here, at least pretending to. I have my right to be annoyed that the product I use is flawled. No one's gonna take that right away from me. Even by giving stuff away. I could afford to buy Python if it was QA tested and working because I really appreciate my time more to a couple of quids. I try also to save my nerves from falling into such pointless discussion as replying your post.

I of course am happy Python or PyMUI exist on MorphOS. But do they really? I will say so no earlier than when I launch helloworld app. And I already had a few attempts you know, please just add my time spent on it...

And I don't really care about the reason some other devs left the platform. If that is of your concern on the other hand, you should rather mark your words toward me also.
  • »16.12.09 - 12:35
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    jcmarcos
    <USELESS>Warning: Another case of two opposing persons being right, somehow, at the same time. I really hope this settles down so we could all win, and not loose any of these valuable persons.</USELESS>
  • »16.12.09 - 12:54
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    DiskDoctor
    @jcmarcos

Allright! That's what makes us all strong!

We need a manager :-)
  • »16.12.09 - 13:05
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Yomgui
    Hopefully I had put this line one top of my tutorial:

Quote:

Following text refers to PyMUI v0.2, not released yet... Python 3.1.1 release is a more important task for now.

Raaah... need to use a bigger font next time!

[ Edited by Yomgui on 2009/12/16 14:23 ]
    And now... next project!
  • »16.12.09 - 13:17
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    DiskDoctor
    Quote:

Yomgui wrote:
    Hopefully I had put this line one top of my tutorial:

Quote:

Following text refers to PyMUI v0.2, not released yet... Python 3.1.1 release is a more important task for now.

Raaah... need to use a bigger font next time!

Assuming it would work.

It resembles the AmigaOS4 situation, when released, there was no hardware to buy to run it on. So your tutorial refers to non-existing project?

I feel I should wait for quite a while, until manuals describe existing solutions that work and hello-world apps run without any bugs.

No problem, I am patient. Just thought I could do something already... Never mind then.
  • »16.12.09 - 14:10
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Yomgui
    I can release PyMUI v0.2 binary and sources... but after I'll get again some flames about 'not working' and so!

Each time a code get out of the developper hard-disk, bugs appear!
    That's why we need 'beta' testers... and these ones shall understand their position and shall be agree with! And they shall help developpers to fix theirs bugs also.

We don't have 10000000 potentials users for testing on MorphOS.
    And now... next project!
  • »16.12.09 - 15:12
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    DiskDoctor
    Quote:

Yomgui wrote:
    I can release PyMUI v0.2 binary and sources... but after I'll get again some flames about 'not working' and so!

Each time a code get out of the developper hard-disk, bugs appear!
    That's why we need 'beta' testers... and these ones shall understand their position and shall be agree with! And they shall help developpers to fix theirs bugs also.

We don't have 10000000 potentials users for testing on MorphOS.

OK, you've got important points here.

1) take your time with some other busy projects you've got now
    2) let me know when you'll be ready with Python2.5, PyMUI and a class resembling MS Notepad :-) as a hello world app
    3) count me in on betatesting anything Python (including its libraries, PyMUI, PIL and more)
    4) I will try to be more productive, i.e. I promise to write stuff to the wiki (as long as I learn it)

Hope this helps.
  • »16.12.09 - 18:43