TinyGL: FBO, Shaders and futur improvements
  • MorphOS Developer
    bigfoot
    Quote:

amigadave wrote:
    I haven't booted up any MorphOS system in probably almost 2 years, and I'm on a very limited retirement budget, but I'll gladly donate to this proposed TinyGL bounty, specially if it will make it easier for X5000 and SAM owners to dual boot AmigaOS4 and MorphOS on the same video card, because I think that allows more users to use MorphOS more often, and encourages more development for MorphOS software and games. With all the problems surrounding Hyperion Entertainment and further development of AmigaOS4, making it easier for existing AmigaOS4 users to try out MorphOS should result in SOME new users, and maybe one or two new developers, or porters of software/games.

I definitely appreciate the support! But as has already been stated in another reply, this wouldn't really overlap with graphics hardware typically used by AmigaOS 4 users.

Quote:

I don't understand all the technical differences between the latest Nova graphics for AmigaOS4, and TinyGL for MorphOS, so this might be a stupid question, but could collaboration with the author of the Nova graphics that is funded by A-Eon, and/or AmigaKit help improve video drivers for MorphOS, and cross platform development for both MorphOS and AmigaOS4? Seems to me that both Big Foot, and Hans of Nova, are really talented video driver developers, and it is a shame if they can't help each other to make development on both platforms better and easier, and porting between systems much easier.

When it comes to graphics and graphics drivers in particular, the two systems are to the best of my knowledge completely different. There isn't really any reasonable way for something like that to work, unfortunately.
    I rarely log in to MorphZone which means that I often miss private messages sent on here. If you wish to contact me, please email me at [username]@asgaard.morphos-team.net, where [username] is my username here on MorphZone.
  • »30.05.22 - 11:12
    Profile Visit Website
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Very interesting to read that a kind of mini shader functionality already exists on R300 drivers.

If somewhat old Radeons can have some support from R300 shader code allowing the missing functions to be implemented, I would bet for it: Besides non-duplicated work, probably it would increase performance leaving normal CPU for other tasks (not sure about that).

Dhewm3 by default uses GL_ARB_vertex_program and GL_ARB_fragment_program extensions.

The rest of needed functionalities are located in RenderSystem_init.cpp and draw_arb2.cpp sources.

It was not my intention to push developers to a humongous work but my "potato port" might have some use after all.
  • »30.05.22 - 12:52
  • MorphOS Developer
    bigfoot
    Quote:

Kronos wrote:

The question here is really how big will that bounty be?

For the whole thing were are talking 4 figures for sure (5 or 6 once we convert it into ZAR ;) ), but what about each step on its own?

Yeah, that is a very good question. At least there seems to be enough interest to continue with this, and the majority seems to want to be able to donate towards individual targets, so I'll figure out price targets for each individual task and then set up something for handling payments.

Quote:

And which of the steps even make sense without the others?

Only really the R600 driver more or less depends on having the fixed-function pipeline implemented as shaders. It can be done without it, but it just means a quite big amount of duplicate work.

Everything else can be done individually really.

Quote:

I will chip in something but it might be a good idea to get the bounty started before people really feel the recession.

Well, fingers crossed for no recession, but good point nonetheless :)
    I rarely log in to MorphZone which means that I often miss private messages sent on here. If you wish to contact me, please email me at [username]@asgaard.morphos-team.net, where [username] is my username here on MorphZone.
  • »30.05.22 - 16:43
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    bigfoot
    Quote:

Cowcat wrote:
    Very interesting to read that a kind of mini shader functionality already exists on R300 drivers.

There was indeed already some work done towards shaders for R300 (and R400, which is almost identical in that regard), but it never really left the experimental state. There's definitely lots of work still to be done to have it usable in general.

Quote:

If somewhat old Radeons can have some support from R300 shader code allowing the missing functions to be implemented, I would bet for it: Besides non-duplicated work, probably it would increase performance leaving normal CPU for other tasks (not sure about that).

Everything that would be handled by implementing the fixed-function pipeline as shaders is already handled on the GPU today, so it wouldn't change anything from a performance point of view.

What could increase performance, and I want to make it clear that I'm speculating here, but for example in Doom 3, I imagine that it is doing interpolation between model frames currently. Without shaders, it has to do this with the CPU for every frame. With shaders it could do this interpolation on the GPU itself, which would not just save CPU power, but also allow for the models to be uploaded to the graphics card just once, instead of once every frame.

Quote:

Dhewm3 by default uses GL_ARB_vertex_program and GL_ARB_fragment_program extensions.

The rest of needed functionalities are located in RenderSystem_init.cpp and draw_arb2.cpp sources.

Thank you :)

Quote:

It was not my intention to push developers to a humongous work but my "potato port" might have some use after all.

Sometimes a push is required :) And I'm fairly sure plenty of people are enjoying your work too, so it's definitely useful!
  • »30.05.22 - 16:55
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    emeck
    @cyfm
    Quote:

cyfm wrote:
    I recently had a chance to try the updated Aquaria port from

Aquaria_1.002 @ MorphOS Storage

Does anyone know why the in-game bubbles are "square" and not sort of round there ? :)

Look round here, at least as far as I have played, which is not much yet.
    PowerBook 5.8 MorphOS 3.18
    Mac Mini MorphOS 3.18
  • »31.05.22 - 22:42
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    tolkien
    I will contribute as much as I can on a regular basis.

In Spain we have been in crisis since 2008 so a new recession is not going to be noticed! ;)
    MorphOS: PowerMac G5 - PowerBook G4 - MacMini.
    Classic: Amiga 1200/060 - A500 PiStorm
  • »01.06.22 - 19:13
  • MorphOS Developer
    cyfm
    Quote:

emeck wrote:
    @cyfm
    Quote:

cyfm wrote:
    I recently had a chance to try the updated Aquaria port from

Aquaria_1.002 @ MorphOS Storage

Does anyone know why the in-game bubbles are "square" and not sort of round there ? :)

Look round here, at least as far as I have played, which is not much yet.

Ok, maybe it is some problem with corrupted images or broken files with the data set I tested, I guess I need to check that ...
  • »02.06.22 - 01:07
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    bigfoot
    Thank you for the interest, everyone. I appreciate it!

I've set up a quick website to keep track of contributions and with details about the different projects. Please note that this is still very much work in progress, and it will be updated and extended in the near future.

https://tinygl.molsen.co.za/

There are instructions for contributing via bank transfer and via Paypal in CAD, EUR, GBP and USD. If you'd like to contribute directly in a different currency, please let me know which currency you'd like to pay in, and I'll see what I can do. If you're contributing with a currency not listed above, and don't mind a conversion/international transfer fee, then please choose to pay in EUR.

Also keep in mind that I will amend the project descriptions in the near future to add some more firm requirements for completion of each project, so everyone is 100% sure what they're paying for. This will mainly be a list of things that must work for each project to be considered complete.
  • »02.06.22 - 14:39
    Profile Visit Website
    Kronos
    50€ seemed like a good start....
  • »02.06.22 - 15:37
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    beworld
    +50€ here
    IMac G5 2.1,PowerBook G4 1.5,MacMini 1.5, PowerMac G5 2.7 died !!!
    My MOS ports
  • »02.06.22 - 17:00
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    bigfoot
    Thank you, everyone, for the contributions that have already come in! I'll try to keep the website updated once a day at least.

By default I won't display anyone's names on the website, so don't forget to let me know if you want your name on there (and which name to put on there if so)!
  • »02.06.22 - 17:49
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    sailor
    +50€ for any of possibilities.
    Of course, I want support Southern Island+ and is not options ;-) ;-)

[ Edited by sailor 02.06.2022 - 20:33 ]
    AmigaOS3: Amiga 1200
    AmigaOS4: Micro A1-C, AmigaOne XE, Pegasos II, Sam440ep, Sam440ep-flex, AmigaOneX1000
    MorphOS: Efika 5200b, Pegasos I, Pegasos II, Powerbook G4, Mac Mini, iMac G5, Powermac G5 Quad
  • »02.06.22 - 18:06
  • IKE
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    IKE
    This is great news. Should be a News item!
    IKE

MacMini G4 1.5Ghz/PowerBook G4 1.67Ghz/PowerMac G5 2.0Ghz DP 7,2 Radeon 9650/256MB