TinyGL: FBO, Shaders and futur improvements
  • man
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    man
    hello
    it s only for x5000 the graphic card radeon hd5450 ?
    i like to know if it s possible to use with powermac g5
    i see on youtube interface that make possible to use radeon hd graphic card like hd5450 but certainly pc
    it's only mac graphic card for morphos so i don t know if it s possible
    thanks
  • »08.07.23 - 12:38
  • MorphOS Developer
    bigfoot
    Quote:

man wrote:

No. While I don't think that there are any AGP versions of that particular graphics card, the PCI Express version can work in any machine that accepts PCI Express cards, and theoretically it can even work with a PCI Express to PCI bridge.

Besides the X5000, there's also the Sam460 which is supported by MorphOS and which has native PCI Express support.

One caveat is that while some of these Radeon HD cards work fine in MorphOS even when the ROM hasn't been executed by the system's firmware, the support for this is still a bit hit-and-miss. What this means is that if you've got a Sam460 or an X5000, you can feel confident that these cards will work. If you've got any other setup that could physically accept the card, then it might work, but it might just as well not.

So attempting to use such a card in a Powermac is not something I can recommend unless you really like experimenting.
    I rarely log in to MorphZone which means that I often miss private messages sent on here. If you wish to contact me, please email me at [username]@asgaard.morphos-team.net, where [username] is my username here on MorphZone.
  • »08.07.23 - 14:23
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > it's only mac graphic card for morphos

MorphOS can use non-Mac Radeon graphics cards as long as they come with a recent enough AtomBIOS version, which means R500 and up.
  • »08.07.23 - 15:43
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    >> radeon hd5450

> I don't think that there are any AGP versions of that particular graphics card

That's correct. AGP cards only went up to HD4xxx series. PCI went one generation further, hence HD5450 exists as PCI card.
  • »08.07.23 - 15:49
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    ernsteiswuerfel
    Quote:

man schrieb:
    i like to know if it s possible to use with powermac g5

About 2 years ago a tried a PCIe HD5450 in my PowerMac G5 11,2 (the later, PCIe-model) which worked perfectly fine with the MorphOS drivers at that time (though without 3D-Support back then).

Another HD6450 didn't work at all on MorphOS (but did on Linux). So as bigfoot said it's a bit of hit and miss on a G5.

If I had an AGP G5 (7,2 or 7,3) I would not be brave enough to use one of these AGP->PCIe adapters. Tried that on my PeeCee back then but had lockups and seemingly random freezes on Windows/Linux. But if someone actually is brave enough to try I would be interested how good/bad the performance of such an adapter solution is. ;-)
    Talos II. [Gentoo Linux] | PMac G5 11,2. PMac G4 3,6. PBook G4 5,8. [MorphOS 3.18 / Gentoo Linux] | Vampire V4 SA [ApolloOS / Amiga OS 3.2.2]
  • »09.07.23 - 11:29
  • man
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    man
    here the video on youtube
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPDd1Y0flSg
    don t know if with morphos and the hd graphic card
    .............................................................................................................................
    if the hd5450 model pcie pc works with powermac g5 i like to know if there s no problem with 3D and it would be very a good news
  • »10.07.23 - 07:05
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    eastone
    Me and my MDD with RV620 AGP are waiting for 3D.
    HD3850 would be better, but if you don't have what you like, you like what you have ;)

MDD with Radeon HD AGP
  • »10.07.23 - 17:01
  • man
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    man
    OK
  • »10.07.23 - 18:50
  • MDW
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    MDW
    Quote:

bigfoot wrote:
    Morphiller demo now also runs on the Radeon HD 5450, except the final report screen that seems to misrender a bit.

It's an honor for me that you checked my little production. I am very happy. :-)
    Regarding final report screen maybe in my implementation is a reason of the problem. End scroller, launcher and the report screen uses my quite complicated GUI-system. Maybe I will be able to help for detect reason of the problem?

[ Edited by MDW 11.07.2023 - 18:55 ]
  • »11.07.23 - 17:55
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    bigfoot
    Quote:

MDW wrote:
    Quote:

bigfoot wrote:
    Morphiller demo now also runs on the Radeon HD 5450, except the final report screen that seems to misrender a bit.

It's an honor for me that you checked my little production. I am very happy. :-)

You released it while I was working on the R600 driver. Of course I had to test it :D Thanks for the shout-out in the scroller, BTW ;)

Quote:

MDW wrote:
    Regarding final report screen maybe in my implementation is a reason of the problem. End scroller, launcher and the report screen uses my quite complicated GUI-system. Maybe I will be able to help for detect reason of the problem?

If you have any suggestions as to what might be causing the misrendering, I'd be happy to hear! Here's a screenshot of the problem. The end scroller and the settings GUI both seem to render correctly as far as I can tell, it's really only this results screen that's giving a problem.

I also just noticed that if I enable the FPS counter, the FPS counter misrenders the same way the report screen does.
    I rarely log in to MorphZone which means that I often miss private messages sent on here. If you wish to contact me, please email me at [username]@asgaard.morphos-team.net, where [username] is my username here on MorphZone.
  • »12.07.23 - 09:19
    Profile Visit Website
  • MDW
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    MDW
    Quote:

bigfoot wrote:
    I also just noticed that if I enable the FPS counter, the FPS counter misrenders the same way the report screen does.

Yes, FPS counter uses the same GUI-view and font.

Quote:

bigfoot wrote:
    If you have any suggestions as to what might be causing the misrendering, I'd be happy to hear! Here's a screenshot of the problem. The end scroller and the settings GUI both seem to render correctly as far as I can tell, it's really only this results screen that's giving a problem.

Characters in each string (also wrapped) are created as one vertex array with proper coords, texcoords and (in case of a font with gradient) vertex colors. The vertex array is kept in string view and is recreated only if this is necessary (e.g.: the view is resized, the string is modified, color of the text is changed). Font uses texture in grayscale as alpha for flat (or gradient) faces:
    Code:
    glEnable(GL_BLEND);
    glBlendFunc(GL_SRC_ALPHA, GL_ONE_MINUS_SRC_ALPHA);

This allows you to easily change the color of fonts because I use this:
    Code:
    glTexEnvi(GL_TEXTURE_ENV, GL_TEXTURE_ENV_MODE, GL_MODULATE);

Problem visible on your screenshot can concerns the texture. I use mipmapping… Maybe in case of grayscale textures there is a problem with generating mipmaps?

Code:
    glGenTextures(1, &textureGLName);
    glBindTexture(GL_TEXTURE_2D, textureGLName);
    glPixelStorei(GL_PACK_ALIGNMENT, 1);
    gluBuild2DMipmaps(GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_ALPHA, width, height, GL_ALPHA, GL_UNSIGNED_BYTE, data);
    glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_MIN_FILTER, GL_LINEAR_MIPMAP_NEAREST);
    glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_MAG_FILTER, GL_LINEAR);

However… I don't think so because I use grayscale textures in GL_LUMINANCE and GL_ALPHA format very often on 3D objects and we see that everything looks correctly.

Only differece between rendering font mesh and object mesh is:
    before rendering a font I use this:
    Code:
    glOrtho(0, viewport.getWidth(), 0, viewport.getHeight(), -1, 1);

before rendering a 3D mesh I use this:
    Code:
    gluPerspective(fovY, aspect, nearZ, farZ);

The report is rendered with disabled depth buffer testing
    Code:
    glDisable(GL_DEPTH_TEST);

disabled polygon culling:
    Code:
    glDisable(GL_CULL_FACE);

and with alpha blending:
    Code:
    glEnable(GL_BLEND);
    glBlendFunc(GL_SRC_ALPHA, GL_ONE_MINUS_SRC_ALPHA);

But these functions:
    Code:
    glDepthMask();
    glDepthFunc();

are not used in case rendering of only 2D layer. On end scroller and in launcher before rendering 2D layer is rendered a 3D scene.

I will look for potential reason of the problem. Maybe I will detect more differences between rendering 3D+2D and only 2D...

[ Edited by MDW 12.07.2023 - 14:38 ]
  • »12.07.23 - 13:04
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    bigfoot
    Although there are still plenty of known issues with the R600 driver, I've decided to the ninth public TinyGL beta release with a preview of the R600 driver included.

Although this is called the R600 driver, in this update only Evergreen and Northern Islands based Radeons are supported. Support for R600 and R700 based Radeons will be added at a later date.

Since the R600 driver is a preview driver with known issues, expect to find plenty of applications and games that either misrender or crash the system. If you come across something that doesn't work correctly, please report it here in this thread and in the case of misrendering, please include a screenshot as well.

Edit: The newly supported Radeons are the following models:
    Radeon HD 5450
    Radeon HD 5550
    Radeon HD 5570
    Radeon HD 5610
    Radeon HD 5670
    Radeon HD 5750
    Radeon HD 5770
    Radeon HD 5830
    Radeon HD 5850
    Radeon HD 5870
    Radeon HD 5970
    Radeon HD 6350
    Radeon HD 6450
    Radeon HD 6570
    Radeon HD 6670
    Radeon HD 6750
    Radeon HD 6770
    Radeon HD 6790
    Radeon HD 6850
    Radeon HD 6870
    Radeon HD 7350
    Radeon HD 7450
    Radeon HD 7470
    Radeon HD 7510
    Radeon HD 7570
    Radeon HD 7670
    Radeon HD 8350
    Radeon HD 8450
    Radeon HD 8470
    Radeon HD 8490
    Radeon R5 220
    Radeon R5 230
    Radeon R5 235
    Radeon R5 235X
  • »14.08.23 - 12:02
    Profile Visit Website
    Stevo
    Quote:

bigfoot wrote:
    Although there are still plenty of known issues with the R600 driver, I've decided to the ninth public TinyGL beta release with a preview of the R600 driver included.

Although this is called the R600 driver, in this update only Evergreen and Northern Islands based Radeons are supported. Support for R600 and R700 based Radeons will be added at a later date.

Since the R600 driver is a preview driver with known issues, expect to find plenty of applications and games that either misrender or crash the system. If you come across something that doesn't work correctly, please report it here in this thread and in the case of misrendering, please include a screenshot as well.

Edit: The newly supported Radeons are everything in the Radeon HD 5000 series, everything in the Radeon HD 6000 series as well as Radeon HD 7350, Radeon HD 7450, Radeon HD 7470, Radeon HD 7510, Radeon HD 7570, Radeon HD 7670, Radeon HD 8350, Radeon HD 8450, Radeon HD 8470, Radeon HD 8490, Radeon R5 220, Radeon R5 230, Radeon R5 235 and Radeon R5 235X

Sweet!!! :pint:
    ---
    http://www.iki.fi/sintonen/logs/its_only_football.txt
  • »14.08.23 - 15:48
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > The newly supported Radeons are […] everything in the Radeon HD 6000 series […]

Nice. Does this include improved 2D support for TeraScale 3 (RV970-based HD 69xx)?
  • »14.08.23 - 19:07
  • MorphOS Developer
    bigfoot
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    > The newly supported Radeons are […] everything in the Radeon HD 6000 series […]

Nice. Does this include improved 2D support for TeraScale 3 (RV970-based HD 69xx)?

No, you're right. It still very much excludes Cayman-based Radeons. I'll update the list in the post you quoted.
  • »15.08.23 - 08:32
    Profile Visit Website
  • MDW
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    MDW
    Hey @bigfoot
    Have you received my e-mail (July, 18th 2023, subject "depth buffer in tiinygl")?

I still can't found reason of the simple problem in rendering with enabled depth buffer test but disabled writing to depth buffer. I don't see any reason why the artifacts are visible. Polygons on the same z-position shouldn't collide if writting to depth buffer is disabled. I used this method quite often and it always worked without any problems (also on macOS).

I attached to the mail simple source which shows the the problem. It is reporducible on my PowerBook G4 A1138.
    I use TinyGL from MorphOS 3.18. I haven't tried the ninth public TinyGL beta release yet.

[ Edited by MDW 15.08.2023 - 12:11 ]
  • »15.08.23 - 10:55
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    bigfoot
    Quote:

MDW wrote:
    Hey @bigfoot
    Have you received my e-mail (July, 18th 2023, subject "depth buffer in tiinygl")?

Yes I have! I'm a bit behind on replying to emails, sorry about that. I'll get to yours in the near future.

Quote:

I haven't tried the ninth public TinyGL beta release yet.

That won't make a difference, so you don't have to test.
  • »16.08.23 - 13:08
    Profile Visit Website
  • MDW
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    MDW
    Quote:

bigfoot wrote:
    Yes I have! I'm a bit behind on replying to emails, sorry about that. I'll get to yours in the near future.

No problem. I can imagine your TODO list. :)

I asked you because I had some problems with my account @amiga.pl so I didn't know if my e-mail was received. Now I know so I don't hurry up please. It is not a blocker for me, I don't have any deadline. I have thousand other tasks in my lame-project. :)
    Thanks!
  • »16.08.23 - 15:24
    Profile Visit Website
    matt3
    Checking in on any updates?

If it would help I'm happy to pitch in to get a G5 PCIe system to Bigfoot.
  • »11.11.23 - 19:27
    Kronos
    You might wanna add a generator to that .....
  • »11.11.23 - 20:24
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Acill
    Quote:

matt3 wrote:

I would as well! I would do anything to get support for the newer cards like OS4.1 has on its systems.
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCI-X (Registration #1894)
    Powerbook 1.67GHZ
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCIE (Registration #6130)
    A4000T CSPPC, Mediator
    Need Repairs, upgrades or a recap in the USA? Visit my website at http://www.acill.com
  • »11.11.23 - 23:40
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    ThePlayer
    Quote:

Acill schrieb:
    Quote:

matt3 wrote:

I would as well! I would do anything to get support for the newer cards like OS4.1 has on its systems.

Yeah +1
    PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 running UWQHD Resolution
  • »19.11.23 - 00:26