PowerUp regstration server available again
  • Just looking around
    Jeff
    I sent for the MOS PowerUp key with the reg tool from my A1200 BPPC machine about 3 months ago and I haven't heard anything yet.

Could my Key file be sent again? My email address is (jeff at newsguy dot com)

Thanks and good luck with yours also.
    -Jeff
  • »17.07.08 - 13:59
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    klapdeur
    I got finally a cyberstorm ppc board and os4 and powerup MOS i got one last problem, the registration server seems to be down again. Can it PLZ be fixed again henes ?? or bigfoot?
    Klapdeur Os: Systems: MorphOS 1.4.5 Pegasos 1 april fixed voodoo 4500 MorphOS 2.0 Not yet registerd A1200T 1230 196 mb scsi mediator voodoo 3 network pci scsi cdburners jaz 2gb Ide cd-rw,dvdplayer,zip100in A400D ppc amiga os3.9/4.0 / MorphOS pow
  • »13.08.08 - 22:07
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    pampers
    Is there any chance to register classic Mos?
    MorphOS 3.x
  • »03.10.09 - 01:15
    Profile Visit Website
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    CountRaven
    Yes. I also want to register it.
  • »03.10.09 - 05:23
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    pampers
    CountRaven: i think we are couple of years too late but anyway worth of trying :)
    MorphOS 3.x
  • »03.10.09 - 10:29
    Profile Visit Website
    CountRaven
    There are still people building classic Amiga systems having interest in MorphOS PowerUP beside other stuff. MorphOS team should provide at least the chance for a registration. Maybe we should try the MorphOS mailing list as well...
  • »03.10.09 - 16:38
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    pampers
    Would you, im not sign up on MOS mailing list.
    MorphOS 3.x
  • »03.10.09 - 16:49
    Profile Visit Website
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Sir_Lucas
    Last time I remember trying to register it took me some time to do so. I remember Jaca was very helpful.
    Try to mail him thru ppa or get in touch with him on ppa irc. It's worth to try.
  • »03.10.09 - 17:03
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    pampers
    I tried to ask him twice on irc, but meaby he was just away. I will try again soon. Thanks for that.

[ Edited by pampers on 2009/10/3 18:01 ]
    MorphOS 3.x
  • »03.10.09 - 18:00
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    tokai
    MorphOS for PowerUP support was abandoned, long time ago. The amount of PayPal donations for "MorphOS for PowerUP" wasn't enough to keep registration server and support for it going.

[This is an official reply in my function as MorphOS Team member.]
  • »03.10.09 - 20:29
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    pampers
    Is it such a big hassle to register few new users?
    MorphOS 3.x
  • »03.10.09 - 21:01
    Profile Visit Website
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Get27
    If it's abandonned, why do not make a official key ?
    PowerUp users will change hardware one day and will keep MorphOS
    PowerMac 3.5, G4 1.0GHz DP, 1GB ram, 80GB HD + NAS, Radeon 9600 128MB Mac, 1680x1050
    PowerMac 7.3, G5 2.3GHz DP, 4GB ram, 160GB HD + NAS, Radeon 9800 128MB PC, 1680x1050
    Amiga 500+, Vampire 500v2+, HxC Floppy
  • »03.10.09 - 23:43
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    tokai
    [This is a personal reply. What I write here is not necessarily the opinion of the MorphOS Team.]

Short answer:

Yes.

Long answer:

The registration server is a custom software, so it can't just run on your everyday and cheap web hosting provider. Maintaining an own server costs money and makes a lot of work to keep it up-to-date and secure, etc.

Also each registration must be handled and verified by a human. We don't let a machine do such important and critical things automatically. This also takes a lot of our time. Sometimes people have problems so this needs to be handled too (e-mail replies, trying to figure out what the problem is, etc.; usually remotely) which - as you can guess - also takes a lot of time.

Also nobody from the core team tested/ used a PowerUP machine since ages. AFAIR only one of our core betatesters has a PowerUP powered MorphOS machine in use currently still.

For less than a handful users per year it just makes zero sense to provide that as free (aka no-cost) service.

Pegasos, Pegasos 2, EFIKA and soon Mac mini users pay a lot of money for their licenses. The price includes all this support expenses.

Would you be willing to pay 150,- EUR for MorphOS 1.4.x for PowerUP which is no longer supported and will not receive updates anymore? Makes as much sense as resettling a colony of orang-outang apes in the Antartica.

You also have to consider that many new (independenly released) software will require a 2.x MorphOS. 1.4.x is yesterday.

The team has simply no ressources to support MorphOS PowerUP anymore. It probably was keept alive longer than donations allowed, I guess. And since the team can't sell it, providing support is not possible. Easy math.

regards,
    tokai
  • »03.10.09 - 23:54
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    pampers
    Tokai:

I've already spent a 150 quid for registering licence for my pegasos. Im going to spend another 150 quid for MorphMini licence, straight away when it is going to be released.

I have no Peg anymore, but I've built an classic Amiga running MorphOS. I understand that there was no interest in registering and donating PUP MOS but why we should suffer while we are late..

If there is no support anymore there should be some kind of free key available.

You are saying that running verification machine for PUP users is such a difificult thing. But it wasn't when I was registering my Pegasos MOS.

[ Edited by pampers on 2009/10/4 1:11 ]

[ Edited by pampers on 2009/10/4 1:11 ]
    MorphOS 3.x
  • »04.10.09 - 01:09
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    I would like to register it...

But if MorphOS team is never putting the reg. server back up, can you please provide a universal keyfile?

thanks
    A4000/060/PPC-200MHz, A4000T/060/PPC-233MHz, CD32, MicroA1, Pegasos 2 G4, AMD Phenom Quad Core 2.5GHz, MacMini 1.5GHz/64MB VRam...mwwmwahhh :)
  • »04.10.09 - 06:34
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think a universal key is even possible. Not without an update at least. And an update won't happen.
  • »04.10.09 - 07:14
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    tokai
    @Pampers

Quote:

You are saying that running verification machine for PUP users is such a difificult thing. But it wasn't when I was registering my Pegasos MOS.

While the Pegasos/Pegasos2/EFIKA/Mac mini registration server was directly derived from the PowerUP registration server they are completely different beast these days.

Keep in mind that the keys were bound to the specific hardware which was registered, AFAIR. We just can't make a generic key which works for everyone without changing/ updating core components. The RegTool also would need to be updated to support a new server. This needs a lot of time and work - not to speak about having enough PowerUP machines available for testing, etc.; This doesn't even include the time, work and money required for setting up the server again. Just makes economically no sense for less than a handful users, even if they would be willing to pay 150,- EUR.

There are only limited resources and our focus currently is on the Mac mini release and Pegasos/ Pegasos2/ EFIKA support. Lots to do.

As sad as this is for you PowerUP guys; but there is some point where support for a more than 10 years old hardware stops. If you like the MorphOS demo and want to use it more frequently try to get a more recent machine which can run MorphOS. That's my recommendation.

regards,
    tokai
  • »04.10.09 - 10:46
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    pampers
    Tokai: I understand. I have more recent machine which is MacMini, but there is no MorphOS on that machine yet ;) So i'm trying to have at least one MorphOS machine at home.
    MorphOS 3.x
  • »04.10.09 - 11:00
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    @jaca

Ok, you could give out other keys that are no longer in use now (eg. by the morphos team members that no longer have classics).... ?

Is the key tied to any particular machine? There is no MAC address on the classic like there is on peg/mini.

Can I "use" another user's key? Do you care?
    A4000/060/PPC-200MHz, A4000T/060/PPC-233MHz, CD32, MicroA1, Pegasos 2 G4, AMD Phenom Quad Core 2.5GHz, MacMini 1.5GHz/64MB VRam...mwwmwahhh :)
  • »04.10.09 - 15:33
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    Henes
    A key only works with the powerup card is was created for. It is not possible to use another user's key, unless you also use his powerup card.
  • »04.10.09 - 16:47
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    @ tokai

Isn't it possible to just compile a 1.4.5 kernel that either doesn't require a key at all or jsut compile the very same 1.4.5 kernel as used for the 1.4.5 Pup relase, but change the 30 min timeout in the sourccode to #? longer duration i'd say a 24h timout would be sufficient for the PuP users. I gusss a modification of the kernel like that (just replace the 30 min string i the sourcecode and compile) wouldn't require testing, nor the compilation of a new iso. Just provide a kernel file withthe longer time out "as it" - no warranty, no support.
    Anyway, personally I don't care too much, my Blizzard got sold log ago. But I think it would be a nice gesture to the bluemunity.
    --
    http://via.bckrs.de

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
    ...and Matthias , my friend - RIP
  • »04.10.09 - 16:50
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    @henes

Ok fair enough

A few other possiblities

1) It was mentioned it takes time, effort, and money to run the PowerUP registration server. I am sure there are those of us out there (myself included) who would offer to host and run it for free.

2) How about, with every new MorphOS registration, that you allow also one free license for PowerUP users, for those of us that have a Peg-2, or Mac Mini and also a working PPC classic? So I pay you 150 EUR and you include also a PowerUP key alongside my Mac Mini registration. Of course no support or warranty provided for PowerUP.

[ Edited by HammerD on 2009/10/4 11:58 ]
  • »04.10.09 - 16:57
    Profile Visit Website
    CountRaven
    I do not want to be the negative person in here and I am clearing up the the guys in MorphOS team are always friendly, always willing to answer our questions and to hear our "wants". but:

The "more than 10 years old hardware" statement means nothing to me. The whole concept behind MorphOS and Amiga in general is based in old hardware after all. Focusing on MorphOS: Yes it is true: The hardware capable to run MorphOS nowadays is OLD and OUT OF DATE. We are happy to have it running on 1 Ghz machines the maximum but hey we are on 2009 you know.... Efika may not be that old but it is still out of date at its specs compared with the hardware standards of today.

But we are happy with our systems and with MorphOS as it brings the maximum to our machines so we love and support it. I know that having the latest hardware is NOT the point behind the whole concept of MorphOS -after all it DOES NOT run in latest Hardware anyway- so I still point Amiga Classic as capable hardware to be used for even some basic stuff having lot of fun with it -and yes it becomes more fun when classic Amiga runs MorphOS-.

For Gods name nothing in personal and absolutely NO hard feelings forTokai who have written the "more than 10 years old hardware" phrase. This is just my point of view.

It makes sense to me that the team is unable to provide support due to luck of time. It also makes sense for me that any kind of support is difficult at no cost. But:

NO official support is needed. As already stated by Zylsea the big deal for the registration is the stopping of this time limitation. It would be GREAT if the team could focus on that. WE ask NOTHING more.

I am also here to offer FREE space for a registration server if this is what is needed. HammereD already made his offer. I am here as well.

Zylesea's idea about a new Kernel for 1.4.5 with a little change on the time limit string is also cool.

Of course no support or warranty provided for PowerUP.

And after all I am willing to pay some money to have a full running 1.4.5 on my classic. I understand that all this effort needs some money.

Everything for MorphOS!

ps. Also have in mind that everything about MorphOS started on classic Amigas. Let's just keep a connection with our history :)
  • »05.10.09 - 02:53
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    @ HammerD

@ 1)

Sorry, that's not possible. We're not giving out the keyfile creation tools.
  • »05.10.09 - 10:57
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    @jaca

fair enough...think positive..there is a way :)

I know it was mentioned that most new software will require 2.x MorphOS, but think about it, 1.4.x is compatible with a FAR range of OS 3.x software, so the usefulness of 1.4.x is very great for many of us.

Sure, registrations may be few and far between, but please figure out some way to at least allow registrations.

Perhaps a 3rd party entity can at least generate registrations without you "giving away" the regitration tool secrets.

thanks
  • »06.10.09 - 00:59
    Profile Visit Website