Please Delete this Thread!
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    KuyaMarc
    Please Delete this Thread! Thank you!
    I AM NO LONGER A MORPHOS USER!
    I AM NO LONGER SUPPORTING MORPHOS!
    PLEASE DELETE ALL MY POSTS! PLEASE DELETE MY ACCOUNT!
  • »15.07.15 - 21:24
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

KuyaMarc wrote:
    Hello! I'm a disabled person living in the Philippines. Amiga hardware is not locally available. I'm living off a small disability income, so I can't buy someone else's product. The Amiga computer does not have to be new; if it can run MorphOS and/or AmigaOS without emulation, then I can accept it. If it has AmigaOS 4.1FE on it, then that would be better.

I previously had the Amiga 500 in 1988...

I want to start software development on a real Amiga computer. Thanks in advance.

If you want to develop for MorphOS, as is stated in your signature line, then why would you write that having AmigaOS4.1FE would be better to have donated to you?

All hardware capable of running AmigaOS4.x is expensive and over priced for what you get, when compared to the cost of any MorphOS system (except the newly supported SAM460). I think you are much more likely to get a compatible MorphOS system donated to you, than a more expensive AmigaOS4.x system.

What are your previous programming accomplishments? What plans do you have for programming in the future, I mean what type of projects are you planning to work on? These answers might help people decide to donate a computer system to you.

[ Edited by amigadave 15.07.2015 - 12:49 ]
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »15.07.15 - 21:48
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    KuyaMarc
    Quote:

amigadave wrote:
    Quote:

KuyaMarc wrote:
    Hello! I'm a disabled person living in the Philippines. Amiga hardware is not locally available. I'm living off a small disability income, so I can't buy someone else's product. The Amiga computer does not have to be new; if it can run MorphOS and/or AmigaOS without emulation, then I can accept it. If it has AmigaOS 4.1FE on it, then that would be better.

I want to start software development on a real Amiga computer. Thanks in advance.

If you want to develop for MorphOS, as is stated in your signature line, then why would you write that having AmigaOS4.1FE would be better to have donated to you?

All hardware capable of running AmigaOS4.x is expensive and over priced for what you get, when compared to the cost of any MorphOS system (except the newly supported SAM460). I think you are much more likely to get a compatible MorphOS system donated to you, than a more expensive AmigaOS4.x system.

What are your previous programming accomplishments? What plans do you have for programming in the future, I mean what type of projects are you planning to work on? These answers might help people decide to donate a computer system to you.

Thanks for the quick response. I'm basically a "utilities developer"; recent development projects were targetted toward embedded and speech synthesis. I'm also working on projects relating to artificial intelligence and computer/IT security; most of which are extremely experimental. With 18 years of Linux, I wish to do the same "miracles" in a MorphOS platform.

A compatible MorphOS platform will work, too. The hardware portion of my iBook G4 is not that stable. Thanks for the tips.
  • »15.07.15 - 21:57
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Yasu
    I think your best bet is to try to get a really cheap Mac Mini G4 from Ebay. You can then use MorphOS demo on it (30 minutes at the time). Then make something people can use and ask for donations for a full license or a better computer.

People in the Amiga community are used to people saying "I want to make some insanely cool, but I need free stuff" and when getting it nothing happens. Some because they really can't program. Others because they can't program for Amiga like systems. And some because they realise too late the systems limitations and simply can't make what they want. And more than once people just quietly leave the scene, without returning the stuff they got for free.

But if you can prove that you mean business, and do release some useful stuff first then you have a case here.
    AMIGA FORUM - Hela Sveriges Amigatidning!
    AMIGA FORUM - Sweden's Amiga Magazine!

My MorphOS blog
  • »16.07.15 - 13:59
    Profile Visit Website
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    KuyaMarc
    Quote:

Yasu wrote:
    I think your best bet is to try to get a really cheap Mac Mini G4 from Ebay. You can then use MorphOS demo on it (30 minutes at the time). Then make something people can use and ask for donations for a full license or a better computer.

People in the Amiga community are used to people saying "I want to make some insanely cool, but I need free stuff" and when getting it nothing happens. Some because they really can't program. Others because they can't program for Amiga like systems. And some because they realise too late the systems limitations and simply can't make what they want. And more than once people just quietly leave the scene, without returning the stuff they got for free.

But if you can prove that you mean business, and do release some useful stuff first then you have a case here.

Today, I launched "Phase 1" of my SpeakJet Speech Synthesizer project development for MorphOS. I've just written the post in the Development forums. My blog post on my development matter is at http://kuya-marc.blogspot.com/2015/07/morphos-speakjet-parser-phase-1-port.html

As a reminder, I am in the Philippines where Philippine Customs CHARGES up to 3x on imports, even on donated freebies. For example, a $50 item imported would mean I might have to pay up to $150 EXTRA to get it into my hands.

Porting over my programming projects into MorphOS has just started as my 18 years of GNU/Linux gets closer. My MorphOS installation is running on broken hardware. Though MorphOS works on my broken hardware, once a little bit more corrosion enters the USB ports, my MorphOS development stops.

My Github projects: https://github.com/KuyaMarc

I wish to port over my Github projects into MorphOS. In addition, I wish to port of my embedded systems development projects, such as Atmel AVR/AVR32, TI MSP430, TI Stellaris, Freescale FRDM-KL25Z and Microchip PIC, all of which are currently functioning in GNU/Linux in i686, AMD64, ARMv7, ARMv7 and PowerPC32.

The fact is, I am TIRED of GNU/Linux (and FreeBSD and Oracle Solaris). Becoming a couch potato has been on my mind, lately. Due to insufficient monetary donations, 90% of my development projects have been removed from online, as way too many people had benefitted from me; they got college grades (one graduated!), job promotions, etc.

I am a disabled person, now with arthritis in my hands. Sooner or later, I will no longer be able to type.

"But if you can prove that you mean business, and do release some useful stuff first then you have a case here."

I've already done that... But if way too many people think that way, then it is best to retire from computers and be a couch potatoe from now on.

Thank you for your comments!
  • »16.07.15 - 16:17
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Yasu
    Quote:

As a reminder, I am in the Philippines where Philippine Customs CHARGES up to 3x on imports, even on donated freebies. For example, a $50 item imported would mean I might have to pay up to $150 EXTRA to get it into my hands.

But there must be some used PPC Mac Minis even in the Phillipines. Any of them will do. Or can't you ask someone to buy a cheap one and have them ship it to you as a "gift"?

Quote:

I've already done that... But if way too many people think that way, then it is best to retire from computers and be a couch potatoe from now on.

What have you released? I must have missed it (on MorphOS I mean).

[ Edited by Yasu 16.07.2015 - 16:30 ]

My MorphOS blog
  • »16.07.15 - 16:29
    Profile Visit Website
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    KuyaMarc
    Quote:

Yasu wrote:
    But there must be some used PPC Mac Minis even in the Phillipines. Any of them will do. Or can't you ask someone to buy a cheap one and have them ship it to you as a "gift"?

As a foreigner in the Philippines, local Filipinos expect high money for computer products. I've been asking for gifts for the past 5 years, on multiple websites and people just accused me of being a scammer.

Quote:

Yasu wrote:
    What have you released? I must have missed it (on MorphOS I mean).

July 16, 2015: My FIRST MORPHOS DEVELOPMENT PROJECT: http://kuya-marc.blogspot.com/2015/07/morphos-speakjet-parser-phase-1-port.html

It was supposed to be in January 2015, but I was, and still am, heavily burdened by extensive personal problems.

If you continue to be sarcastic towards me, then try living in my shoes for a day. My hands are HURTING while I'm trying to keep up with your sarcastic comments! My problems are extreme; both physical and emotional. My rekindled Amiga hobby is a way of avoiding severe depression. If you need to know what my disabilities are, then read the right side bar of my blog.

Yasu, if you don't want me to support nor promote MorphOS, especially in the Philippines, then just SAY SO! You don't have to write sarcastic comments to me!
  • »16.07.15 - 16:42
  • ASiegel
    Quote:

KuyaMarc wrote:

You don't have to write sarcastic comments to me!

I did not find Yasu´s post to be sarcastic. Please understand that many members of MorphZone speak English as a second, third or fourth language and come from varied cultural backgrounds.

In some countries, people communicate in a more direct way than in others. Some might mistake this for rudeness, even though it is not intented to be.

If your aim to is generate income (via donations or otherwise) from future software development activities, I am afraid you are best advised to target operating systems with substantially bigger user bases than MorphOS or similar operating systems have. If, however, your are looking to develop merely for fun, then MorphOS may very well be a good choice afterall.
  • »16.07.15 - 18:00
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Yasu
    @KuyaMark

I have no idea why you took my comments as sarcastic. It's true that my first language isn't English, but reading my own comments again I still don't see why it's seen as sarcastic. I was mearly asking you some questions.

First, I'm really sorry to hear about your illness. I really am. Don't think anything different.

Second, I asked you what you had released for MorphOS, not what you are currently working on. When you said "I have already done that" I thought you had released something already and that I had missed it. I wanted to take a look at it. Hence the question.

Third, how about the option of having someone buy a Mac Mini or something and send it to you? You can get them for almost nothing in the States.

Forth, I'm always happy to help developers for MorphOS (I have donated quite a lot of money during the years), but I want to make sure it's a good investment. I always want to give people the benefit of a doubt, so my demands for helping out isn't huge. Either that they have a good track reckord (like BSzili) or that they have something to show. I don't think I'm unreasonable here.

My MorphOS blog
  • »16.07.15 - 18:18
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Hi again KuyaMarc,

I took a look at your blog and it has sparked some curiosity in me. I have donated computer gear to other developers in the past, but so far I have not seen any programs completed for MorphOS by any of them, so I hope you will understand why people like myself and Yasu are asking so many questions, and are cautious about who we donate gear or money to in the future.

Speech recognition (in my opinion) is a very useful utility to have for any computer platform. Specially for disabled persons who have difficulty typing, like yourself. From the blog screen shots I saw, it appears to me that your parser is able to listen for speech sounds and translate them into code. I am not a programmer (yet), but I have worked on some proprietary software applications doing scripting maintenance work, and designed new screens and logic to calculate fees in the past.

Can your speech parser also translate spoken words into English ASCII text?

Could it be used to control many computer functions using spoken commands with zero use of a mouse or keyboard? I am thinking of something that is capable of making computer use possible by people who are completely paralyzed and cannot use their hands at all.

Have you researched the capabilities of MorphOS3.9, so that you are sure it will be able to support your programming goals? Many times, as Yasu may have tried to express, programmers not familiar with Amiga or MorphOS capabilities will start projects, then later learn that functions or tools that they need to complete their work do not exist on MorphOS, and they give up because they do not want to, or can't build all the tools needed to complete such project(s), in addition to the project code itself.

Voice recognition and spoken commands that can control the computer have always been an interest of mine, so if your code can bring this functionality to MorphOS, I will gladly do all I can to help get you a better MorphOS compatible system to continue your MorphOS programming projects.

Edit: I also did not see any sarcasm in any of Yasu's posts in this thread. As Andreas Siegel and Yasu may have stated, there is not much development resources (money, or man power) available in our tiny niche community, and we have all suffered from many broken promises in the past. This makes all of us very cautious and even distrustful when learning about new projects, or new coders who ask for donations. Please don't take this attitude personally.

[ Edited by amigadave 16.07.2015 - 10:21 ]
  • »16.07.15 - 19:14
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Yasu
    What amigadave said. I promise that when this program see the light of day I will make a donation of 30 euros to support your future developments.

My MorphOS blog
  • »16.07.15 - 20:10
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    >> recent development projects were targetted toward embedded and speech synthesis.

> Speech recognition (in my opinion) is a very useful utility to have for any computer
    > platform. [...] From the blog screen shots I saw, it appears to me that your parser
    > is able to listen for speech sounds and translate them into code.

I think speech recognition is something different than speech synthesis, quite the opposite really.

> Andreas Siegel

;-)
  • »16.07.15 - 21:00
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    In_Correct
    Quote:

KuyaMarc wrote:

Congratulations for deciding to become developer of MorphOS. :-D

However, MorphOS developer is most challenging. The new developers have become overwhelmed and thus abandoned their projects. This explains the replies of skepticism (not sarcasm).

The common method of donation of hardware that I remember: is only when there is a request for MorphOS to expand its supported hardware.

There are still solutions to your request:

I suggest is Kickstarter possible?

If not, I fear the only other solution is to keep the MorphOS iBook and develop with the MorphOS iBook. Perhaps it will survive long enough for you to eventually purchase additional MorphOS hardware.

:-)
    :-) I Support Quark Microkernel. :-D
  • »16.07.15 - 23:21
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    >> recent development projects were targetted toward embedded and speech synthesis.

> Speech recognition (in my opinion) is a very useful utility to have for any computer
    > platform. [...] From the blog screen shots I saw, it appears to me that your parser
    > is able to listen for speech sounds and translate them into code.

I think speech recognition is something different than speech synthesis, quite the opposite really.

> Andreas Siegel

;-)

That was me (as usual), not Andreas Siegel, assuming incorrectly what kind of speech software he was writing about.

Too bad, as I would really be interested in seeing MorphOS get some kind of speech recognition software.
  • »17.07.15 - 05:05
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    >>> Andreas Siegel

>> ;-)

> That was me [..], not Andreas Siegel

I know that amigadave is you, David ;-) And his profile says that ASiegel is Andre Siegel :-) I just quoted your reference of his alleged real name.
  • »17.07.15 - 07:47
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Minuous
    Quote:

amigadave wrote:
    I have donated computer gear to other developers in the past, but so far I have not seen any programs completed for MorphOS by any of them

That statement is demonstrably untrue.

[ Edited by Minuous 18.07.2015 - 00:41 ]
  • »17.07.15 - 15:40
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

Minuous wrote:
    Quote:

amigadave wrote:
    I have donated computer gear to other developers in the past, but so far I have not seen any programs completed for MorphOS by any of them

It is absolutely true!

And how would you know what software I have seen, and what I have not seen? Not only have I not seen any software you or any other programmer has written, using the donated computer I sent you and them over the last several years, I am not aware of any new software you, or any of the other programmers have written on that donated gear (not counting a few updates you may have done to existing ports, or original software you had already written prior to receiving the donated MorphOS compatible computer, and even that software I have not seen, as I was not interested in any of your prior ports, or software).

Feel free to post a list of the great wealth of MorphOS software you have written and completed since I donated the 1.5GHz G4 MacMini to you years ago (not just updates and/or bug fixes to any of the ports you had already completed prior to receiving the donated computer). And where I can download this huge library of new software for MorphOS from? Maybe I will see something interesting enough to test, or use occasionally.

[ Edited by amigadave 17.07.2015 - 08:38 ]
  • »17.07.15 - 17:36
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    >>> I have donated computer gear to other developers in the past, but so far
    >>> I have not seen any programs completed for MorphOS by any of them

>> That statement is demonstrably untrue.

> It is absolutely true! [...] Not only have I not seen any software you or any other
    > programmer has written, using the donated computer I sent you and them [...],
    > I am not aware of any new software you [...] have written on that donated gear
    > (not counting a few updates you may have done to existing ports, or original
    > software you had already written prior to receiving the donated MorphOS compatible
    > computer, and even that software I have not seen, as I was not interested in
    > any of your prior ports, or software). Feel free to post a list of the great wealth
    > of MorphOS software you have written and completed since I donated the
    > 1.5GHz G4 MacMini to you years ago (not just updates and/or bug fixes to any
    > of the ports you had already completed prior to receiving the donated computer).
    > And where I can download this huge library of new software for MorphOS from?

https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?forum=10&topic_id=8432&start=21
  • »17.07.15 - 19:36
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Minuous
    Quote:

amigadave wrote:
    Not only have I not seen any software you or any other programmer has written, using the donated computer I sent you and them over the last several years, I am not aware of any new software you, or any of the other programmers have written on that donated gear (not counting a few updates you may have done to existing ports, or original software you had already written prior to receiving the donated MorphOS compatible computer, and even that software I have not seen, as I was not interested in any of your prior ports, or software).

http://amigan.1emu.net/releases/

If you were not interested in further development of any of my software why are you bitching about it!? The only new piece of software I promised was a port of uBee512, which I have done as promised, as well as many updates to existing software.

Feel free to list all the software you have done instead of just hassling Amiga/MOS developers. You make me sick.

By the way, how is improving and updating software necessarily worse than making a new piece of software? Eg. the MCE program could have been done as 60 separate programs. According to your logic, MOS dev team must have done nothing for the last ten years or more, since they have "only" done updates to MOS.

[ Edited by Minuous 18.07.2015 - 11:08 ]
  • »18.07.15 - 01:59
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    The only thing I "bitched" about, was your attempt to call me a liar on a public forum.

Your sensitivity regarding this topic might indicate something about yourself.

[ Edited by amigadave 17.07.2015 - 23:56 ]
  • »18.07.15 - 08:47
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    @Minuous

Please ignore amigadave's rants here, he simply can't stand being wrong in public, he never could. Rest assured that the community greatly appreciates your past, current and future efforts!

For this we thank you!

MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »18.07.15 - 09:28
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Minuous
    You slandered me in a public forum and expect me not to respond to this!? You think you can send me some $50 machine that didn't even work properly and I'm you slave forever? After I spend many hours fixing MOS issues? I develop 9 Amiga programs already. That's not enough, you demand 10. But your pathetic demanding attitude is not going to get me to write software after this.

There are some in the community like Papiosaur that are trying to encourage developers, there are others like you that are just lamers who complain and don't write any programs.

Anyone who looks at the release history for my software (http://amigan.1emu.net/releases/notes.rar) will realize that I have done more for the Amiga this year than you have done in your lifetime. So you can shove it.

[ Edited by Minuous 18.07.2015 - 22:35 ]
  • »18.07.15 - 13:27
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    itix
    Quote:

Minuous wrote:
    Quote:

amigadave wrote:

Yup. Iam with you because I have completed programs for MorphOS, too. I received my first Pegasos over 10 years ago (I could not afford new or old hardware back then).

However, from all those free Pegasos and Efika systems Genesi was throwing away maybe only 1% produced something. So in general it is fruitless but sometimes you can get something out with it.
    1 + 1 = 3 with very large values of 1
  • »18.07.15 - 15:49
    hooligan
    Quote:

Minuous wrote:
    ..there are others like you that are just lamers who complain and don't write any programs.

Greetings to elite, fuckings to lamers.

Thank you.
    www.mikseri.net/hooligan <- Free music
  • »18.07.15 - 16:19
    Profile Visit Website
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

takemehomegrandma wrote:
    @Minuous

Please ignore amigadave's rants here, he simply can't stand being wrong in public, he never could. Rest assured that the community greatly appreciates your past, current and future efforts!

For this we thank you!

Rant? Seriously?
    This from one of our serious ranters.
    And I haven't seen much resulting from bounties or donations either.
    For instance, how's that AREXX port coming?

And like Dave, I have supported donations of equipment and funds in the past.

So, from here out, I am only donating to people with a proven record of results.

So, how is that "wrong"?
    "Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »18.07.15 - 16:52