Powerbook 5,8
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    For sale, Powerbook 5,8 A1138. 15inch, 2gig of ram, 160gig HD. MorphOS preinstalled, no key. Used less then 1 day.

Make offer.
  • »19.02.16 - 17:41
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    TheMagicM
    $1
  • »19.02.16 - 18:31
    Profile Visit Website
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    funny
  • »19.02.16 - 18:35
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    TheMagicM
    dude.. you're going to quit because of that a-hole TheMagicM??? LOL. Seriously, you're going to lose out. MorphOS runs GREAT on the hardware you have. Apologies if I offended you.
  • »19.02.16 - 18:36
    Profile Visit Website
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Naa, me and "TheMagicM" seem to have come to a agreeable place.
  • »19.02.16 - 19:39
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    TheMagicM
    Quote:

DFergFLA wrote:
    Naa, me and "TheMagicM" seem to have come to a agreeable place.

:-) damn..I thought you'd sell it to me for $1 ;-)
  • »19.02.16 - 19:44
    Profile Visit Website
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Oh dream on... :)
  • »19.02.16 - 19:48
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Acill
    Why are you selling it so soon???? You didnt even give MorphOS a chance.
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCI-X (Registration #1894)
    Powerbook 1.67GHZ
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCIE (Registration #6130)
    A4000T CSPPC, Mediator
    Need Repairs, upgrades or a recap in the USA? Visit my website at http://www.acill.com
  • »19.02.16 - 23:37
    Profile Visit Website
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Cancel that Acill, all is good.. well at least getting better. Do you have any problems with the wireless in on your new laptop? Mine is giving me fits, but only under MorphOS.
  • »19.02.16 - 23:45
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    asrael22
    Quote:

DFergFLA wrote:
    Cancel that Acill, all is good.. well at least getting better. Do you have any problems with the wireless in on your new laptop? Mine is giving me fits, but only under MorphOS.

I have no problem with wifi on my PB 5.7 using MorphOS.

Manfred
  • »20.02.16 - 10:32
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    Quote:

DFergFLA schrieb:

Before I got my new Fritzbox as router I sometimes had issues to get connected to the net (used a repeater in my WLAN). Since that is retired and the new Fritzbox at a proment place in the house does the entire job, it's fine. But the Airport. signal under MorphOS is rather weak. Hence. I still use the Atheros pcmcia card. Provides a better throughput.
    --
    http://via.bckrs.de

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
    ...and Matthias , my friend - RIP
  • »20.02.16 - 10:49
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Yasu
    I think you shouldn't give up so fast. You might regret it as you got a pretty nice piece of hardware. I know wifi can be tricky at first. I used to have problems with it for no reason in the beginning. It was flaky and usually just didn't start. After several tries in settings with changing from wifi to lan and back, changing wifi sources, rewriting my password and so on it suddenly started working without a hitch. I can't explain it, it just started working and still works everytime even though I rarely use it anymore.

You should also go to the MorphOS IRC channel and ask for help. The developers are usually there and they are very helpful. Unless the wifi is broken they should be able to locate the problem and help you fix it. Connect the PB to a lan cable in the meantime.
    AMIGA FORUM - Hela Sveriges Amigatidning!
    AMIGA FORUM - Sweden's Amiga Magazine!

My MorphOS blog
  • »20.02.16 - 10:50
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Acill
    Quote:

DFergFLA wrote:

I just setup my new 17“ 1139 and have no problems. This one is ear identical to your 1138 only a 17“ model.
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCI-X (Registration #1894)
    Powerbook 1.67GHZ
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCIE (Registration #6130)
    A4000T CSPPC, Mediator
    Need Repairs, upgrades or a recap in the USA? Visit my website at http://www.acill.com
  • »20.02.16 - 16:00
    Profile Visit Website
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Quote:

Acill wrote:
    Quote:

DFergFLA wrote:

I just setup my new 17“ 1139 and have no problems. This one is ear identical to your 1138 only a 17“ model.

OK, Thanks. I'm still working on mine trying to narrow it down a bit more.
  • »20.02.16 - 16:20
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Quote:

Zylesea wrote:
    Quote:

DFergFLA schrieb:

Before I got my new Fritzbox as router I sometimes had issues to get connected to the net (used a repeater in my WLAN). Since that is retired and the new Fritzbox at a proment place in the house does the entire job, it's fine. But the Airport. signal under MorphOS is rather weak. Hence. I still use the Atheros pcmcia card. Provides a better throughput.

The airport may be the issue. I moved from my livingroom into the bedroom, closer to the router, and it seems to be better.
  • »20.02.16 - 17:00
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    TheMagicM
    Quote:

DFergFLA wrote:
    Quote:

Zylesea wrote:
    Quote:

DFergFLA schrieb:

The airport may be the issue. I moved from my livingroom into the bedroom, closer to the router, and it seems to be better.

funny... I just had the same issue. switched to a router that was giving a stronger signal. The reason I questioned it is because I reinstlled MorphOS and thought maybe I screwed up network settings etc..
  • »20.02.16 - 17:43
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    asrael22
    Quote:

DFergFLA wrote:
    Quote:

Zylesea wrote:
    Quote:

DFergFLA schrieb:

The wifi signal on the aluminium PowerBook is really weak. I have mine since it came out about 10 years ago.
    No matter if operated with Mac OS or MorphOS.
    Compared to an iBook at the same age the iBook always has better signal strength.
    Not sure why. Probably the aluminium is shielding a bit too much.

Manfred
  • »20.02.16 - 20:19
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    DanicaTalos
    I have a 5,8 too.

It works great with orig. OS X Tiger, Leopard and MorphOS and Ubuntu 12.04 PPC.

The WiFi strength ist better on OS X than MorphOS or Ubuntu. With MorphOS is the 5,8 very fast and the WiFi strength is okay.

Conclusion: The 5,8 with MorphOS ist the best solution.
    iBook G4 - 14" -1,42 GHz - 32MB VRAM - 1,5GB RAM - 60GB mSata - MorphOS 3.18
  • »21.02.16 - 10:45
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    ernsteiswuerfel
    On my PowerBook5,8 the WiFi strength under MorphOS is ok, but it lacks a bit on Ubuntu.

I am curios wether replacing the Airport with a Atheros card improves things? On the MorphOS hardware page Atheros is on the supported list. Has anyone tried yet and can recommend a suitable card? AFAIK the Airport is Mini-PCI so it should work if being replaced with an other supported card?
    Talos II. [Gentoo Linux] | PMac G5 11,2. PMac G4 3,6. PBook G4 5,8. [MorphOS 3.18 / Gentoo Linux] | Vampire V4 SA [ApolloOS / Amiga OS 3.2.2]
  • »22.02.16 - 23:01
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > I am curios wether replacing the Airport with a Atheros card improves things? On
    > the MorphOS hardware page Atheros is on the supported list. [...] AFAIK the Airport
    > is Mini-PCI so it should work if being replaced with an other supported card?

AirPort Extreme is Mini PCI, but only electrically, so regular Mini PCI cards won't fit in AirPort Extreme. It's PCMCIA/Cardbus that you're looking for (see comment #11).
  • »22.02.16 - 23:45
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    ernsteiswuerfel
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf schrieb:
    AirPort Extreme is Mini PCI, but only electrically, so regular Mini PCI cards won't fit in AirPort Extreme. It's PCMCIA/Cardbus that you're looking for (see comment #11).

Thanks for the info! I will look out for such a PCMCIA-Card.
    Talos II. [Gentoo Linux] | PMac G5 11,2. PMac G4 3,6. PBook G4 5,8. [MorphOS 3.18 / Gentoo Linux] | Vampire V4 SA [ApolloOS / Amiga OS 3.2.2]
  • »24.02.16 - 18:31