• jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    Quote:

Jambalah wrote:
    Quote:

zukow wrote:
    Have You used postscript ppd file from this: http://esupport.epson-europe.com/FileDetails.aspx?lng=en-GB&data=s7ZZ7XD4cY3iGLckHMH+zI9KHuZxo6bN&id=20304 install package?

No I'm using a ppd file downloaded elsewhere version 1.0. I will try that but.. How to use a file .exe here on MorphOS...? =)

It's self extracting archive. You can unpack it for example with xad:
    XADUnFile epson20304eu.exe ram:

And as offtopic, if you have this kind of mimetype for global actions for files, you can try to browse any file you want:

Action
    Name Open with XAD
    Event Menu
    Command INTERNAL loaduri "vfs:///%sp?type=xad" VIEWID %Si
    Flag unquoted
    End

Then you can just browse the exe and copy the files you want from it ;)

[ Edited by jPV 22.12.2013 - 12:13 ]
  • »22.12.13 - 11:04
    Profile Visit Website
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Jambalah
    @JPV:
    Thanks for the tip! I've tried with unrar and 7za without success...

Well I tried the new ppd file and now (for mysterious reasons not depending from that file I guess) nothing works anymore. The printer is recognised by MorphOS but there's no way to print anything. I tried the old ppd file but problem stay there. So I erased anything and installed again but the problem still occours. No way to print anything. If I try with VPDF Snoopium shows a failed attempt to open a "gsspool.device" and a "usb.parallel.device" which doesn't exist anywhere. If I try with MUltiview (which I was able to print text with) Snoopium shows a failed attempt to load "printer.device".
    What am I going to try now?
    Pegasos II 1 ghz
    Powermac G4 Quicksilver with Sonnet Encore 1.8 ghz
    Powermac G4 MDD single 1.25 ghz, silenced for ears health...
    Powermac G5 dual 2.7 ghz I'll be back...
    Powermac G5 dual 2.0 ghz
    Powerbook G4 1.67 ghz 17
  • »24.12.13 - 13:54
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Snoopium shows a failed attempt to open a [...] "usb.parallel.device" which doesn't
    > exist anywhere.

usbparallel.device doesn't exist as file but is created by Poseidon in memory.
  • »24.12.13 - 15:02
  • MorphOS Developer
    zukow
    Quote:

Jambalah wrote:
    @JPV:
    Thanks for the tip! I've tried with unrar and 7za without success...

Well I tried the new ppd file and now (for mysterious reasons not depending from that file I guess) nothing works anymore. The printer is recognised by MorphOS but there's no way to print anything. I tried the old ppd file but problem stay there. So I erased anything and installed again but the problem still occours. No way to print anything. If I try with VPDF Snoopium shows a failed attempt to open a "gsspool.device" and a "usb.parallel.device" which doesn't exist anywhere. If I try with MUltiview (which I was able to print text with) Snoopium shows a failed attempt to load "printer.device".
    What am I going to try now?

are You sure that You are using PRINTER: logical device and not PS:. gspool.device is used by gs-handler and PS: device. If your printer use usb, check poseidon prefs for adding usbparallel.device. If it's added to the system, you can try direct Postscript printing in VPDF (select USBPAR: as destination device in printing window)

[ Edited by zukow 24.12.2013 - 15:28 ]
  • »24.12.13 - 15:27
    Profile Visit Website
    Jambalah
    Sorry guys, I forget to remember sometime... =D
    Yes Andreas, usbparallel.device is a device created by printer.class inside Poseidon and I found there (where it was in the past, I remember...). And though I read the "docs" I forgot to change PS: in VPDF printer window. Now everything is ok and the printer is doing is work well.
    Thanks Rzkool you did a good work and my MorphOS bench is almost complete (Scanner & Printer).
    Have a great Holydays!!!
    Pegasos II 1 ghz
    Powermac G5 dual 2.0 ghz
    Powerbook G4 1.67 ghz 17
  • »24.12.13 - 16:44
  • vox
    vox
    I see CUPS bounty and would donate next month.

Will it help to get HP LaserJet 1010 working on my SAM460ex once MOS is done for it?
    ------------------------------------------
    iMac G5 1GB with MorphOS and MacOS X
    Lame PC with AmiKit XE
    YT channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdHl_msNWHEVPf229h_gijQ
    Telegram Amiga group: https://t.me/amigaranchorelaxo
  • »05.01.14 - 12:58
    Cego
    ok, i have installed the whole package and changed the command line in printer settings. there is no hint or anything in the readme telling me about how to config the "printer" and the new "printers" settings.
    I also copied the USBPAR: mountlist to DEVS:

Now when i try to print with this command nothing happens

copy direct MorphOS:Prefs/Wallpaper/1546184.jpg "Printer:ARGSFILE=fit-to-page FORMAT=image"

i also installed VPDF and when i want to print to "PRINTER:" nothing happens.

Also the new printer prefs seems to be broken. when i select the PPD file for my samsung nothing happens when i press "add"
    After next reboot the settings are lost again. In the old printer settings i selected Laserjet4 as printer.
    Pegasos II G4 @1.0GHz, 1GB DDR Ram, Radeon 9200Pro, 240GB SSD+160GB HD, MorphOS 3.18, AmigaOS4.1 FE, Debian 8
  • »13.09.14 - 22:18
    Cego
    there is also no Icon in the morphos settings menu fpr the new printers entry, only text.
    Pegasos II G4 @1.0GHz, 1GB DDR Ram, Radeon 9200Pro, 240GB SSD+160GB HD, MorphOS 3.18, AmigaOS4.1 FE, Debian 8
  • »14.09.14 - 12:40
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    Click on the small 'file' icon, at the right hand side of the input box where it is labelled on the right as 'PPD file:' in basically the centre of the Printers prefs page, and select/enter/click on your PPD file for your Samsung printer to put it into the Printer Profiles list.

I agree some of the buttons don't seem to work correctly in the prefs options, but I use a HP 2500 CLJ and the PPD file for it, and it works really well with the Beta printing system by Zukow, which I would have hoped by now would have been integrated into MOS system, though I remain optimistic about it being completed soon. It really does work well - within the limitations of it being a Beta, but I have not had any crashes while using it, and it works with Pagestream, and VPDF without a hitch, once setup correctly, which are my two main document printing applications.

I know the instructions are a bit basic, and you have to install the Beta each time you update MOS, but it is a great advantage over the old TurboPrint printing system, which I always found very 'flaky', and often did not print from some applications.

Yes, the 'Printers' icon also seems to be missing, but you can select the option from the menu, but seeing as it is only a Beta release I think I can manage without the icon for the time being, as I'm just grateful the prinitng works as well as it does for now. ;-)
    MacMini 1.5GHz,64MB VRAM, PowerBooks A1138/9 (Model 5,8/9),PowerMac G5 2.3GHz(DP), iMac A1145 2.1GHz 20", all with MorphOS v3.18+,Airport,Bluetooth,A1016 Keyboard,T-RB22 Mouse,DVD-RW-DL,MiniMax,Firewire/USB2 & MacOSX 10.4/5
  • »14.09.14 - 16:59
    Cego
    when i select the PPD file i cant put it into the profile list. nothing happens when i press on "add". after reboot the settings are lost again. do i have to enter device, unit etc? what about the other printer configs? do i have to select a printer there?
  • »14.09.14 - 23:12
    Cego
    can i also use PPD files from Linux/x86?
  • »14.09.14 - 23:15
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    Quote:

Cego wrote:
    when i select the PPD file i cant put it into the profile list. nothing happens when i press on "add"

Do NOT click on 'ADD' - click on the small icon on the same line as 'PPD file' and a standard system requester will open for you to go to choose the correct Volume/Directory/Folder/File where you have your PPD file for you then to click on 'OK' in the requester to input the xxxx.PPD file into the 'PPD file' field which is what you are trying to do, but not following my instructions it seems.
    Quote:

what about the other printer configs?

For now you do not need to enter any other information in the other fields as far as I am aware in the 'Printers' preferences area.
    Quote:

do i have to select a printer there?

No, your printing will run through the USBPAR: device - as long as you select or input that information in any printer 'device' input field, such as in APDF, VPDF and Pagestream's printer setup requester input window, and then the PPD file you chose/saved in the 'Printers' preferences field will be used.
    Quote:

can i also use PPD files from Linux/x86?

Yes, I initially got my PPD file via Adobe, and used the one I got there, and then I obtained the original one supplied by HP with the printer from the PPD file on the installation CD - both worked fine, and as far as I know the PPD file is as Universal as it can be for any OS, as it is basically a text interpreted file, and there is no 'machine' specific code in there to limit it in that way.
    MacMini 1.5GHz,64MB VRAM, PowerBooks A1138/9 (Model 5,8/9),PowerMac G5 2.3GHz(DP), iMac A1145 2.1GHz 20", all with MorphOS v3.18+,Airport,Bluetooth,A1016 Keyboard,T-RB22 Mouse,DVD-RW-DL,MiniMax,Firewire/USB2 & MacOSX 10.4/5
  • »14.09.14 - 23:59
    Cego
    ok, i took a PPD file for my Samsung ML-2165 from the unified samsung drivers from linux. when i now send a file to the printer it will just make a click noise. nothing more.
  • »15.09.14 - 10:24
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    So have you managed to input your PPD file into the PPD file list - WINDOW?

What program are you trying to use to print from?
  • »15.09.14 - 22:41
    Cego
    Grab.jpg

It looks like this. Pressing buttons have no effect. After reboot its gone again.

[ Edited by Cego 17.09.2014 - 15:17 ]
  • »17.09.14 - 18:14
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    The file Samsung_ML-2160_Series.ppd should listed be in the printer profiles area once you press OK in the previous requester. I cannot answer why it has not been added if you have followed the instructions as explained above, and I can only hope that Zukow can add some further information as to what the problem might be - failing that send him a PM.

Did you click on the 'tick-box' adjacent to default printer, as this may select the file, but if it is not in the list I do not see how you can choose it to be the 'default printer'.

However, I hope you get a quicker reply than when I last sent him a PM from this forum - as I am still waiting for a response as of yet, and that PM was sent on 22-February-2014, so I can only say, and I wish I did not have to say ......... don't hold your breath !! :-(

[ Edited by NewSense 17.09.2014 - 21:11 ]
  • »18.09.14 - 00:07
    Jambalah
    Assuming you performed operations described by Zukow in post #47 (ghostscript installation and overwriting), let's see step by step:

download your ppd file. You did it but just in case it won't work again take a look to official Samsung website and drivers:
    http://www.samsung.com/uk/support/model/ML-2165/XEU
    Once extracted, you will find driver (ppd file) inside PrinterDriver/10.5 (or 10.6)/PPD/gzipfile7Samsung ML-2160 Series.gz
    The file inside is your ppd though it hasn't ppd extension.

Put the ppd file wherever you want (f.e. I created a ppd files directory). Inside the directory Sys:Prefs/Printers should be only the printers driver you will use. Obviously this is not mandatory and you can put your ppd files here too.

Now it's time to create the printer driver physically: click on tab to select a ppd file (the one after the text field named PPD file:) and select your Samsung printer ppd file.

Click "Add" and inside the printer profiles above should appear the name of your printer. Double click on the printer name or click on Options button on the right to change settings.

Switch "Default printer" on to have that printer selected as default.

Save. You have finished.

Read careful the post #47 which explains that this is the correct procedure to "convert PPD file to internal IFF format" and be sure you have installed everything, also inside Mossys. And take care to install USBPAR file (you find it inside Zukow packet inside MorphOS/Storage/Dosdrivers directory) also inside Mossys:Devs/DOSDrivers so to mount it every time you run MorphOS avoiding request which ask you to do it.
    I did it myself and I mounted the Samsung ML2160 without problems.
    Pegasos II 1 ghz
    Powermac G5 dual 2.0 ghz
    Powerbook G4 1.67 ghz 17
  • »18.09.14 - 09:40
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Yasu
    This seems complicated so I might ask first if anyone knows if a HP Brother 2030 should work with this?
    AMIGA FORUM - Hela Sveriges Amigatidning!
    AMIGA FORUM - Sweden's Amiga Magazine!

My MorphOS blog
  • »18.09.14 - 12:40
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    If you can locate a PPD file for your HP Brother 2030 then I don't see a reason why it shouldn't work.

In fact, if you examine this link:

http://www.openprinting.org/ppd-o-matic.php?driver=hl1250&printer=Brother-HL-2030&show=1

It shows you the PPD file and you can clearly see that you can save/rename it for your printer - so I think the quick answer is YES
  • »18.09.14 - 14:07
    Cego
    ok, now i've managed to get the ppd file into the list. Problem was, that the printers drawer in sys:prefs was write protected.

my next problem is that old Printer prefs just wont save the Ghostscript commandline for the next reboot. It still gives me the old content.
  • »18.09.14 - 20:51
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Yasu
    Okey, cool :-) I guess I should try to get it to work in MorphOS (though I have no idea of how this work :-P )

My MorphOS blog
  • »18.09.14 - 23:56
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    Quote:

Cego wrote:
    ok, now i've managed to get the ppd file into the list. Problem was, that the printers drawer in sys:prefs was write protected.

Happy to hear you worked out why it wasn't inputting/saving the ppd file, and so glad you got it fixed - there may be a lesson to be learnt from this. I usually put files related to the system, but not part of it, where possible, in the Storage folder/directory, and in its/their own individual drawer/folder/directory - well that's where my ppd file resides.

Quote:

my next problem is that old Printer prefs just wont save the Ghostscript commandline for the next reboot. It still gives me the old content.

I don't use Ghostscript at all now, as all the printing I do is through Pagestream or APDF, or VPDF which works incredibly well through Zukow's Beta printing system. So, I cannot offer much advice on Ghostscript, but possibly someone else can.
  • »19.09.14 - 01:15
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    Quote:

Yasu wrote:
    Okey, cool :-) I guess I should try to get it to work in MorphOS (though I have no idea of how this work :-P )

The process is just a logical step of placing the unarchived files where Zukow has stated they should be placed, but remember that the PRINTER, USBPAR, printer.handler, and many of the other files shown in the Morphos sub-folder/directory/drawer MUST be put in the MORPHOS (MOSSYS - where you are not supposed to put any files - NORMALLY) related drawer/directory/folder as the MOSSYS: needs to find those files there, and not in the outer SYS: files drawer/directory/folder.

However, the files shown in the C drawer/folder/directory, once they have been unarchived, should be placed in the normal SYS:C/ drawer, such as applycmsfilter, gstoraster, imagetops, etc. as far as I am aware, but as you say the instructions are a little 'flaky', and really could do with better explanation.

As I made some errors on my first installation of this Beta printing system - which still has to be manually installed every time you update to a later version of MorphOS as it is not fully implemented as part of the MOS as yet - but the sooner it is the better as far as I am concerned..
  • »19.09.14 - 01:42
    Cego
    Quote:

NewSense wrote:
    Quote:

Cego wrote:

Happy to hear you worked out why it wasn't inputting/saving the ppd file, and so glad you got it fixed - there may be a lesson to be learnt from this. I usually put files related to the system, but not part of it, where possible, in the Storage folder/directory, and in its/their own individual drawer/folder/directory - well that's where my ppd file resides.

Quote:

I don't use Ghostscript at all now, as all the printing I do is through Pagestream or APDF, or VPDF which works incredibly well through Zukow's Beta printing system. So, I cannot offer much advice on Ghostscript, but possibly someone else can.

the strange this is that when i press on "options" in the printer prefs i only get a blank content. did you also enter a device into the device field? USBPAR: is located in mossys:devs/dosdrivers

So i actually dont need Ghostscript installation. Then i can rule that out.
  • »19.09.14 - 11:24
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Yasu
    I see. Will this printer system be integrated with MorphOS later?

My MorphOS blog
  • »19.09.14 - 12:38
    Profile Visit Website