Printer Bounty
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Amigaharry2
    Have installed pack as discribed above and in ReadMe. Can see mounted PRINTER - device in Scout, but it's not possible to print to PRINTER:
    Get error-message "Need volume PRINTER in any drive"........
    Peg2, 3xPowerMac G5, 2xPowerbookG4, 2x MacMiniG4, Efika (again), A3000T and life is never boring.....
  • »31.10.13 - 19:47
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    boot_wb
    Quote:

zukow wrote:
    Taaadaaam, some early beta 'i'll kill your rdb' release

1. Install ghostscript using Geit's installer
    2. Download: and overwrite GS installation http://brain.umcs.lublin.pl/~rzookol/download/gs870_morphos.lha
    3. Download: http://brain.umcs.lublin.pl/~rzookol/download/printers.lha unpack, move the files to sys: and read readme file.

In short:
    This package contains port of cups filters (filter == printer drivers, not all cups infrastructure), new library ppd.library for handling PPD files
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PostScript_Printer_Description and Morphos prefs for adding them to system (it converts PPD file to internal IFF format). There is also new handler: printer-handler which creates PRINTER: device similar to PRT: or PS: devices but handling additional options compatible with CUPS/IPP. printer.device wrapper has not been written yet so printing to PRINTER: is the only option now. There is also VPDF with PRINTER: support.

All package is highly WIP state, sends tons of debug and can crash :). Color profiles are not supported in this version.
    Ghostscript is required only for non-postscript printers.

Awesome! Downloading now.

btw - if vpdf update is still beta, is there any chance you could add a "save" routine (to allow pdfs viewed from OWB tempfiles to be more easily saved). :-)
    www.hullchimneyservices.co.uk

UI: Powerbook 5,6 (1.67GHz, 128MB VRam): OS3.1, OSX 10.5.8
    HTPC: Mac Mini G4 (1,5GHz, 64MB VRam): OS3.1 (ZVNC)
    Audiophile: Efika 5200b (SB Audigy): OS3.1 (VNC + Virtual Monitor)

Windows free since 2011!
  • »01.11.13 - 02:02
    Profile Visit Website
    xyphoid
    so I have a HP officejet 4622. If I'm understanding this correctly, there will be some form of CUPS similair to my old UBUNTU setup where you use a web interface to wirelessly send docs to print? will this beta allow me to do anything different, now than the hp dekjet 842c attached to my mini? I'm afraid I'm following here, but not getting it. I see the VPDF print doc, but nothing under postscript. I thought somewhere there had to be a web interface.
  • »01.11.13 - 03:19
    xyphoid
    on startup I now get a requestor "please insert volume printer in any drive" or something to that effect. Anyway to fix this other than cancel?
  • »01.11.13 - 04:05
  • MorphOS Developer
    zukow
    Please, send me debuglog from logtool/getramdebuglog if any "Please instert..." requester appears. Check printing from VPDF first.

i forgot one requirement: gstoraster needs perl, so for non postscript printers, perl package is required (download and install morphos sdk). I'll rewrite it later.
    gstoraster require PPD environment variable poiting to the orginal PPD file
    (setenv SAVE PPD path_to_your_file.ppd)

[ Edited by zukow 04.11.2013 - 16:05 ]
  • »03.11.13 - 14:22
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    pampers
    Prints like a charm on my Samsung CLX-3305W, thanks Rzookol!
    MorphOS 3.x
  • »03.11.13 - 18:40
    Profile Visit Website
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    zbysiuk
    I try to send reprint by 'netpriter.device' and it looks like everyting going well until the last stage. I can even see a temorary file in the "T:" folder.
    Here is the log:
    Quote:

LibInit: LibBase 0x28d3fb44 SegList 0xaca20d1 SysBase 0x20001948
    LIB_Open: 0x28d3fb44 <ppd.library> OpenCount 0
    ManageProfiles: Sys:Prefs/Printers/hp-color_laserjet_pro_mfp_m176n, defaultpath:
    ustawiamy 0
    ustawiamy 0
    LIB_Open: 0x28d3fb44 <ppd.library> OpenCount 1
    entry[handler.c:185]: ACTION_FINDINPUT/ACTION_FINDOUTPUT
    bbbb: T:_prt_temp_a73bd32
    len: 17
    args: 'format=ps'
    len2: 9
    entry[handler.c:238]: ACTION_END
    before read args
    opening profile

By the way, I am not sure if my .ppd file is OK. I found it in the linux side.
    Is any chance to print out in to the file using the 'PRINTER:' device?
  • »10.11.13 - 19:37
    bash64
    Does this work with HP Laserjet Pro CP1025NW yet?
    Powerbook G4 1.67ghz 2GB, ATI 9700M Pro 128mb
    1TB hd, DL-DVD Burner, Netgear pcmcia wireless card.
    Powermac G5 2.3ghz 2GB, ATI 9600 Pro
    ImageFX 4.5, PageStream 3.3, PhotoGenics 5.0
  • »10.11.13 - 20:40
    Profile Visit Website
  • Bounty Manager
    insane
    At "Alchemie X" CUPS Integration was announced for MorphOS 3.6
    Has this something to do with zukow's project here ?
  • »14.11.13 - 13:23
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    zukow
    yes, it's the same project, and not CUPS, just cups drivers,

drivers from morphos 3.6 version will be (hope)fully reggae oriented, just amount of work is too big to finish it earlier in fully amiga style. i should release new beta in a few days
  • »14.11.13 - 22:25
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    zukow
    New beta available, same links, please download ghostscript also and regenarete profile from PPD files. Postscript printing should work also on non postscript printers. example ppd for PCL printers is included.
  • »15.11.13 - 18:40
    Profile Visit Website
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Anybody got any suggestion on a cheap Postscript/PCL compatible printer to use with this?
    "Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »15.11.13 - 20:16
  • MorphOS Developer
    zukow
    @Jim
    I suggest refurbished Kyoceras. Cheap, with LAN/USB and www frontend.

Has anybody tested this version? I need some feedback. Works or not?
  • »18.11.13 - 22:21
    Profile Visit Website
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    > Kyoceras

Not bad, a little more than a dirt cheap laser, but the output is fast and they look reliable.
    Thanks.
    "Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »19.11.13 - 00:41
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    roschmyr
    Quote:

zukow schrieb:

Has anybody tested this version? I need some feedback. Works or not?

Works here(TM) with my Konica Minolta magicolor 4650DN
  • »19.11.13 - 19:24
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    Some other users ( Amigaharry2 & Xyphoid) have also asked for clarification that on STARTUP, after putting the required files in SYSTEM: folders and rebooting, there is a requester brought up, BEFORE MorphOS boots completely which reads something like:

"please insert volume PRINTER: in any drive"

With the options in the requester to Assign, Deny, Cancel, etc.

However, I do not know, and it seems neither do they, as to where PRINTER: is supposed to be assigned to, and this is not mentioned in the readme, as far as I am aware

ReadMe file-

1. PRINTER: device will be created and copying files to this device will print them.
    for example:
    copy direct inputfile PRINTER:

2. PRINTER: device takes COPIES, ARGSFILE and FORMAT arguments.
    ARGSFILE is compatible with IPP/CUPS arguments
    FORMAT is either PS or IMAGE

for example:
    copy direct inputfile.jpg "Printer:ARGSFILE=fit-to-page FORMAT=image"
    copy direct inputfile.ps "Printer:FORMAT=PS COPIES=2"

3. Printer system needs PPD files to be added/converted to internal format in Printers prefs (in Morphos Preferences).
    PPD files for non postscript printers relies on CUPS filters. Two CUPS filters are included
    (PCL and Samsung PCL based printers), both rewritten to use ppd.library.

4. PrinterOutput env variable must be set. for example:
    setenv save PrinterOutput NETPAR:

5. Printing on non-postscript printers requires latest Ghostscript

The above ReadMe does not indicate where on the system the PRINTER: device is mounted/located, whether some additional ASSIGN in the Startup-sequence is required or just the user-startup, or elsewhere.

Point 2 is also confusing as it sounds like the PRINTER: device when working is a Shell/CLI only tool, which if that were the case then why is there a "MPrefs" file, which presumably, as the screengrab on page 2 (Comment #39) of this thread shows, that the PRINTER: device is accessible through the GUI of Preferences, at least I hope that is what it means, but I'd like that explaining also.

There is only one PPD file, NOT two as the ReadMe states there is, included with the downloads, that is for - testhp.ppd, and the README does not specify how to use the PPD file, or place it where, on the MorphOS system.

So, can someone explain what point 3 in the ReadMe actually means in easy to understand procedural terms, as to where to put / convert / how to convert a PPD file/filter for MorphOS

3. Printer system needs PPD files to be added/converted to internal format in Printers prefs (in Morphos Preferences).

Point 4 also leaves me not knowing what to do next, so can this also be explained:

4. PrinterOutput env variable must be set. for example:

So does this mean you have to insert a line in the startup-sequence, with a line of text as above ?

I know I put the DOSdriver for PRINTER.device in System:DEVS/DOSdrivers (NOT MOSSYS:Devs/DOSdrivers) BUT the "PRINTER" mountlist states that the printer-handler is located in MOSSYS:L ...... BUT the MOSSYS: drawers/files are not supposed to be interferred with so why should I be putting something in MOSSYS: when we are told NOT to do that, but this Beta states that is where the file should be read from - via the PRINTER mountlist.

All this is preventing me from getting the Beta working, and without further instructions on how to install it fully I am having to reluctantly remove the whole of the Beta as I cannot test it, and this question, about ASSIGNING PRINTER: does not seem to have been answered in this thread anyway.

I have a HP5M Colour Laserjet (Postscript & PCL) and a HP 2500 Colour Laserjet (Postscript & PCL) printers, and would really like to be able to use their capabilities, and to test them with this Beta, but at the moment I just don't know how to proceed to install it fully.

Some precise information about how to install it correctly would help immensely.
    MacMini 1.5GHz,64MB VRAM, PowerBooks A1138/9 (Model 5,8/9),PowerMac G5 2.3GHz(DP), iMac A1145 2.1GHz 20", all with MorphOS v3.18+,Airport,Bluetooth,A1016 Keyboard,T-RB22 Mouse,DVD-RW-DL,MiniMax,Firewire/USB2 & MacOSX 10.4/5
  • »20.11.13 - 00:26
  • MorphOS Developer
    zukow
    There is a file (PRINTER) in archive which should be copied to Mossys:Devs/Dosdrivers. It will mount PRINTER: device (not assign, just another device like PRT: PAR: SER: PS:) using included l/printer-handler. After that, programs can save their work (postscript files or image files) to PRINTER: device. PRINTER: and l/printer-handler will convert data to printer-specific stream and save it to file stored in environment variable PrinterOutput.

In an example

i set environment variable value to NETPAR: which is standard device created by geit's netprinter.device (should be mounted previously). This variable can store to simple file path like Ram:file etc. and then printing system will print to file. It should be typed once in shell. Refer to AmigaDos documentation.
    It's ok to put my files to MOSSYS: this archive was prepared to use MOSSYS: and any copying files to other directory may cause troubles.

Regarding PPDs files:
    I suggest checking HP subpage with drivers:
    http://h20566.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/template.PAGE/public/psi/swdHome/?sp4ts.oid=81956&spf_p.tpst=swdMain&spf_p.prp_swdMain=wsrp-navigationalState%3DswEnvOID%253D2020%257CswLang%253D%257Caction%253DlistDriver

and download linux or earlier macosx drivers and get Postscript PPD file from that. I'll add simple postscript ppd file in next release. In printers prefs you select ppd file and click on Add button. PPD file will be converted to iff format and then You can change options + check Default printer.
  • »20.11.13 - 08:19
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    Henes
    edited
  • »20.11.13 - 10:29
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    Quote:

zukow wrote:
    There is a file (PRINTER) in archive which should be copied to Mossys:Devs/Dosdrivers.

So, are you saying that ALL the files that are in the archive should be copied to their respective destinations C: and L: and DEVS:DOSdrivers .. etc. in MOSSYS: and NOT SYS: which would be in conflict with the instructions given by the MorphOS team?

Not that I won't do it, because if this gets the PRINTER: device to work then that is OK with me, and besides which if it going to be part of the MorphOS in the near future it needs testing on a much hardware as is possible before it is considered stable, and works correctly without any, or as few as possible, issues..
    Quote:

It will mount PRINTER: device (not assign, just another device like PRT: PAR: SER: PS:) using included l/printer-handler.

So, from that, do I understand you correctly that there will NOT be any requester at startup asking to "please insert volume PRINTER: in any drive" which halts the system from booting correctly ?
    Quote:

After that, programs can save their work (postscript files or image files) to PRINTER: device. PRINTER: and l/printer-handler will convert data to printer-specific stream and save it to file stored in environment variable PrinterOutput.

So will we be able to request printer output to be directed to PRINTER: instead of PRT: , or any other currently used device name like PS:, and this will use the new printer system?
    Quote:

In an example

Does this SHELL command PERMANENTLY save the system output to NETPAR: ?
    Quote:

i set environment variable value to NETPAR: which is standard device created by geit's netprinter.device (should be mounted previously). This variable can store to simple file path like Ram:file etc. and then printing system will print to file. It should be typed once in shell. Refer to AmigaDos documentation.

Where is the AmigaDOS documentation available?

Also is it really necessary to have to consult the AmigaDOS documentation as I would have hoped this would get this printing system working correctly automatically?

Or is there some fine tuning to have to do to get it working on individual systems?
    Quote:

It's ok to put my files to MOSSYS: this archive was prepared to use MOSSYS: and any copying files to other directory may cause troubles.

Which should really be explained in the ReadMe file, but I am glad you have stated this now.
    Quote:

Regarding PPDs files:
    I suggest checking HP subpage with drivers:
    http://h20566.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/template.PAGE/public/psi/swdHome/?sp4ts.oid=81956&spf_p.tpst=swdMain&spf_p.prp_swdMain=wsrp-navigationalState%3DswEnvOID%253D2020%257CswLang%253D%257Caction%253DlistDriver

and download linux or earlier macosx drivers and get Postscript PPD file from that.

What does this involve doing actually. Does every user have to create an individual PPD file for each printer they own?

I own 2 main printers one a HP5M and the other a HP2500 Color Laserjet, so will I have to create 2 PPD files from a generic PPD file or what?
    Quote:

I'll add simple postscript ppd file in next release. In printers prefs you select ppd file and click on Add button. PPD file will be converted to iff format and then You can change options + check Default printer.

That sounds like any PPD file will convert the data sent to the NETPAR: (PRINTER:) device to IFF format which is automatically interpreted by the printer itself, is this correct?

By the way thanks for a much more precise understanding of what to do, but the ReadMe file could do with a lot more detail to avoid the situation some of us have experienced so far in trying to understand how you intended it to be installed.

Incidentally, THANKS for all your hardwork, and any others involved with the development of this printing system, which has been needed for so long. A better printing system has been one of the Achilles' heels of the Amiga systems for so long
    MacMini 1.5GHz,64MB VRAM, PowerBooks A1138/9 (Model 5,8/9),PowerMac G5 2.3GHz(DP), iMac A1145 2.1GHz 20", all with MorphOS v3.18+,Airport,Bluetooth,A1016 Keyboard,T-RB22 Mouse,DVD-RW-DL,MiniMax,Firewire/USB2 & MacOSX 10.4/5
  • »21.11.13 - 16:58
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    >> setenv save PrinterOutput NETPAR:
    >> [...]
    >> It should be typed once in shell. Refer to AmigaDos documentation.

> Does this SHELL command PERMANENTLY save the system output to NETPAR: ?
    > Where is the AmigaDOS documentation available?

You can read about the SetEnv command there:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AmigaDOS#Local_and_global_variables

> is it really necessary to have to consult the AmigaDOS documentation [...]?

If you appreciate knowing what this command line written in the readme file does but are not fluent enough in AmigaDOS to know it by heart, then yes, you obviously should consult AmigaDOS documentation.

>> I suggest checking HP subpage with drivers [...] and download linux or earlier
    >> macosx drivers and get Postscript PPD file from that.

> What does this involve doing actually.

This involves downloading the driver package, decompressing it and picking out the PPD file.

> Does every user have to create an individual PPD file for each printer they own?

PPD files are specific to the printer model (or family). Of course, if two users own the same printer model, one of them can copy his PPD file for the other user.

> I own 2 main printers one a HP5M and the other a HP2500 Color Laserjet, so will
    > I have to create 2 PPD files from a generic PPD file or what?

You shouldn't have to create any PPD file. Best way is to find the respective PPD files for your printers from HP's driver package(s). Have you read the Wikipedia article zukow linked to?

>> PPD file will be converted to iff format

> That sounds like any PPD file will convert the data sent to the NETPAR: (PRINTER:)
    > device to IFF format

No, it sounds like the PPD file itself will be converted to an IFF file because zukow's printer system has been designed to use IFF files instead of PPD files.

> which is automatically interpreted by the printer itself, is this correct?

No, printers can't understand IFF data. The IFF file stores the configuration and is used by the printer system to create the data that can be interpreted by the printer.

> A better printing system has been one of the Achilles' heels of the Amiga systems

...or rather the lack of such ;-)
  • »21.11.13 - 21:44
    connor
    Can you say what is new in VPDF?
  • »22.11.13 - 18:15
    Jambalah
    Hi!
    Today my Epson EPL-6200 printer is arrived and I start installing all the files to print (following the instructions) and the ppd file.
    No luck... I tried VPDF loading a small pdf file but when I start the printing I only had a full cpu usage, a blinking light on the printer (the Data received from usb cable) and the window showing a "printing page 1" message. After a minute (longer the file, longer the time elapsed) all went back to normal state, cpu relaxed and printer released an empty paper sheet. I tried postscript 2, 3 with the same result.
    I only managed to print something using a text file with Multiview but printing was not that fine (cutted words on the right margin).
    Pegasos II 1 ghz
    Powermac G4 Quicksilver with Sonnet Encore 1.8 ghz
    Powermac G4 MDD single 1.25 ghz, silenced for ears health...
    Powermac G5 dual 2.7 ghz I'll be back...
    Powermac G5 dual 2.0 ghz
    Powerbook G4 1.67 ghz 17
  • »20.12.13 - 17:11
  • MorphOS Developer
    zukow
    Have You used postscript ppd file from this: http://esupport.epson-europe.com/FileDetails.aspx?lng=en-GB&data=s7ZZ7XD4cY3iGLckHMH+zI9KHuZxo6bN&id=20304 install package?
  • »21.12.13 - 20:01
    Profile Visit Website
    Jambalah
    Quote:

zukow wrote:
    Have You used postscript ppd file from this: http://esupport.epson-europe.com/FileDetails.aspx?lng=en-GB&data=s7ZZ7XD4cY3iGLckHMH+zI9KHuZxo6bN&id=20304 install package?

No I'm using a ppd file downloaded elsewhere version 1.0. I will try that but.. How to use a file .exe here on MorphOS...? =)
    Pegasos II 1 ghz
    Powermac G4 Quicksilver with Sonnet Encore 1.8 ghz
    Powermac G4 MDD single 1.25 ghz, silenced for ears health...
    Powermac G5 dual 2.7 ghz I'll be back...
    Powermac G5 dual 2.0 ghz
    Powerbook G4 1.67 ghz 17
  • »22.12.13 - 10:22