• Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    Some other users ( Amigaharry2 & Xyphoid) have also asked for clarification that on STARTUP, after putting the required files in SYSTEM: folders and rebooting, there is a requester brought up, BEFORE MorphOS boots completely which reads something like:

"please insert volume PRINTER: in any drive"

With the options in the requester to Assign, Deny, Cancel, etc.

However, I do not know, and it seems neither do they, as to where PRINTER: is supposed to be assigned to, and this is not mentioned in the readme, as far as I am aware

ReadMe file-

1. PRINTER: device will be created and copying files to this device will print them.
    for example:
    copy direct inputfile PRINTER:

2. PRINTER: device takes COPIES, ARGSFILE and FORMAT arguments.
    ARGSFILE is compatible with IPP/CUPS arguments
    FORMAT is either PS or IMAGE

for example:
    copy direct inputfile.jpg "Printer:ARGSFILE=fit-to-page FORMAT=image"
    copy direct inputfile.ps "Printer:FORMAT=PS COPIES=2"

3. Printer system needs PPD files to be added/converted to internal format in Printers prefs (in Morphos Preferences).
    PPD files for non postscript printers relies on CUPS filters. Two CUPS filters are included
    (PCL and Samsung PCL based printers), both rewritten to use ppd.library.

4. PrinterOutput env variable must be set. for example:
    setenv save PrinterOutput NETPAR:

5. Printing on non-postscript printers requires latest Ghostscript

The above ReadMe does not indicate where on the system the PRINTER: device is mounted/located, whether some additional ASSIGN in the Startup-sequence is required or just the user-startup, or elsewhere.

Point 2 is also confusing as it sounds like the PRINTER: device when working is a Shell/CLI only tool, which if that were the case then why is there a "MPrefs" file, which presumably, as the screengrab on page 2 (Comment #39) of this thread shows, that the PRINTER: device is accessible through the GUI of Preferences, at least I hope that is what it means, but I'd like that explaining also.

There is only one PPD file, NOT two as the ReadMe states there is, included with the downloads, that is for - testhp.ppd, and the README does not specify how to use the PPD file, or place it where, on the MorphOS system.

So, can someone explain what point 3 in the ReadMe actually means in easy to understand procedural terms, as to where to put / convert / how to convert a PPD file/filter for MorphOS

3. Printer system needs PPD files to be added/converted to internal format in Printers prefs (in Morphos Preferences).

Point 4 also leaves me not knowing what to do next, so can this also be explained:

4. PrinterOutput env variable must be set. for example:

So does this mean you have to insert a line in the startup-sequence, with a line of text as above ?

I know I put the DOSdriver for PRINTER.device in System:DEVS/DOSdrivers (NOT MOSSYS:Devs/DOSdrivers) BUT the "PRINTER" mountlist states that the printer-handler is located in MOSSYS:L ...... BUT the MOSSYS: drawers/files are not supposed to be interferred with so why should I be putting something in MOSSYS: when we are told NOT to do that, but this Beta states that is where the file should be read from - via the PRINTER mountlist.

All this is preventing me from getting the Beta working, and without further instructions on how to install it fully I am having to reluctantly remove the whole of the Beta as I cannot test it, and this question, about ASSIGNING PRINTER: does not seem to have been answered in this thread anyway.

I have a HP5M Colour Laserjet (Postscript & PCL) and a HP 2500 Colour Laserjet (Postscript & PCL) printers, and would really like to be able to use their capabilities, and to test them with this Beta, but at the moment I just don't know how to proceed to install it fully.

Some precise information about how to install it correctly would help immensely.
    MacMini 1.5GHz,64MB VRAM, PowerBooks A1138/9 (Model 5,8/9),PowerMac G5 2.3GHz(DP), iMac A1145 2.1GHz 20", all with MorphOS v3.18+,Airport,Bluetooth,A1016 Keyboard,T-RB22 Mouse,DVD-RW-DL,MiniMax,Firewire/USB2 & MacOSX 10.4/5
  • »20.11.13 - 00:26