• MorphOS Developer
    geit
    Fraggle,
    Quote:

I`m also still mulling over throwing some money at the printing bounty so any comments on that?

It is a waste of money.

MorphOS can print on Postscript and PCL5 printers which are still supported by most new printers. I frequently check computer magazins printer tests and in most cases 90% of the printers work out of the box with MorphOS and even an old AmigaOS3, when having USB or network drivers. Some of them also take PDFs via ftp.

However.we live in times where finally the needs change. For years I asked myself, why printer need a driver and since 2010 the coin flipped. Starting with the ipad the industry creates printers supporting airprint, which is a protocol to easy print out stuff without the need of a specific printer driver..While first only a few printers supported this, recently more and more hardware devekopers added support to their hardware, because millions of ios devices are finally a market to sell ink, too. Even Android supports airprint, now.

It is impossible to write specific drivers for all new printers, as new models come out faster than you can handle them. Also they need to be bought and kepted for later bug fixes.

So better spend money some something is needed. I someone wants to print, he can always get a printer which works with MorphOS out of the box, right now. Creating a bounty to get some low prices crappy printers with a short live time to work, is a bad idea.

In my oppinion airprint/ip print is the best solution for the future. One driver and done.

Unfortunatly the documentation on the protocol is quite bad, as most examples are more or less just calling ios or android functions handing over a pdf. Which on one side shows how simple it is to print, but on the other side is no help for us right now. At least I did not get it to work, yet.

Geit
  • »30.09.12 - 11:59