Bounty proposal
Poll: Who wants a good word processor
Ended on 28.09.2012 - 04:59:30
Total Voters: 0

• Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    maurensen
    A up to date version of AminetRadio would be cool... If you have some spare money for AmigaZeux I'll vote for this... :-)
    But hey, again, it's your money so it's up to you!
    Whatever you choose Fraggie, thanx to support MorphOS community mate!
    -------------------
  • »21.09.12 - 15:56
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Fraggle
    I want to go for stuff we REALLY need like drivers and essential apps etc...Iff AmiNetRadio works on OS4emu then that`s fine for now...
    Fraggle
  • »21.09.12 - 16:07
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Iff AmiNetRadio works on OS4emu then that`s fine for now...

It works without OS4Emu even ;-)

http://downloads.morph.zone/find.php?find=aminetradio
  • »21.09.12 - 16:11
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Fraggle
    So no point dropping large coin on that than...
    Fraggle
  • »21.09.12 - 16:18
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    connor
    Any online word processor is no alternative. You don't want your grandma's letters be stored somewhere on the net and let Google or Zoho or whomever make money out of it or "just" read them. So we need a good WP application.

While I very much appreciate your effort investing in MOS applications to get a better usage and more programs, please check out Cinnamon Writer and Scriba before you throw money down the drain. Evaluate them yourself and see whether you think they are worth it. Both are lightyears away from being stable and usable, putting the speediness totally aside. And seeing the Scriba's author backlog I doubt his release will ever come to a usable state as none of his older and a lot smaller "programs" ever got that far. I always vote for native applications but in this case and seeing what and who is available I think the money is better spent for someone (semi-)professional porting AbiWord or the like. Pagestream could have been a good choice for most of us but sadly it is stalled and buggy for years, so no new version is in sight either.

BTW: I wonder why all the bounty proposals have the same thread name instead of the poll's name. Should be fixed.
  • »21.09.12 - 17:50
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    runequester
    Google Docs in my opinion is not really an alternative.

I'd prefer native over porting, but something i nthe spirit of abiword would be good:

Can import open/libreoffice and ms office documents, export to pdf, runs light, proper mui of course.

Scriba is promising but simple, and final writer is great... if you don't intend to interact with the rest of the world.
    Amiga 1200 and G4 MDD MOS as my main computers.
  • »21.09.12 - 17:54
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    I think many would like an updated SMBFS, which would work with most of the NAS drives and well.. with those newer Windozes too. That could be couple of coins worth...

And AmiNetRadio gets obsolete when Reggae gets few more decoders, Jukebox is just fine player for it :)

As for word processing, I'd like some newer local app too. I don't like the idea of using some online app... But OTOH, Final Writer does for my simple needs still :)

[ Edited by jPV 21.09.2012 - 19:05 ]
  • »21.09.12 - 18:03
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    zukow
    I use google docs, export to pdf and print with vpdf. For OCR i use google docs too (plus my SCANdal). I even ported tesseract but google docs are easier to use.

If we want to have word processor i vote for Papyrus office, i talked once with guy from Titan about fixing Papyrus code but i didn't have time.
    Looking at Scriba progress i can tell that it should be at google-docs level within one or two years so it's better to spend time on porting LibreOffice or fixing Papyrus. Sensible word processor can't be written by one man in short time.
  • »21.09.12 - 18:53
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Fraggle
    If papyrus is the best chance then I`ll offer him the money shall I?
    Fraggle
  • »21.09.12 - 21:36
  • MorphOS Developer
    zukow
    PAyprus is commercial software by Titan Computer (actually, it's a port but mui based)
    http://www.titan-computer.com/

I don't know if Titan is still interested in supporting Morphos/Amiga. We can ask. If Yes, we should look for some decent developer who can take this project or ask Titan Computer for opening Papyrus sources (like poseidon stack was opened by Platon).
  • »21.09.12 - 21:51
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > ask Titan Computer for opening Papyrus sources (like poseidon stack
    > was opened by Platon)

The difference is that Platon was the sole owner of the Poseidon source code, whereas Titan has licensed big parts from the original owner of Papyrus.
  • »21.09.12 - 22:37
    Senex
    Alternatively, if still trackable (*), one could ask if the owners of FinalWriter still think their source code would be worth a fortune like when I did ten years before...

(* = Maybe this guy is still around and knows about current contact possibilities.)

Edit: Seems difficult, though.
  • »22.09.12 - 06:23
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Fraggle
    I offered them 1000 euro - if that`s not enough for ancient code they can piss off because I still have to pay a MOS coder do the port with docx import etc...
    Fraggle
  • »22.09.12 - 06:46
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Edit: Offered who 1000 Euros for what? Final Writer source code? Papyrus? Something else? Edit2: As a long time user of Final Copy, Final Copy2, & Final Writer, I could be satisfied with a PPC MorphOS port of Final Writer, if it also had updated import/export features and solid printing capabilities.

What ever you decide to support with programming money Fraggle, I strongly suggest that you hold on to your cash until the programming is completed and you can test the final product yourself.

Unless you want to take the chance of hiring a programmer to do "X" amount of coding for a price and have no guarantee what you will end up with when he is finished.

Most programmers who create, or port software for/to MorphOS3.x do so in their spare time, so holding the money back until the project is finished is not a hardship on them. They just get a lump sum at the end, if/when they are able to complete the project. This is how 99.9% of all software bounties are setup, so it is not something new I am proposing, and I am just trying to protect you from yourself and someone who might try to take advantage of your generosity and eagerness.

Like some of the others that have posted in this thread, I would prefer a native MorphOS3.x word processor program, instead of a port of a Linux, or Windows/Mac program, but I would also prefer a port of an existing program instead of an Online solution. Google Docs is a good temporary solution, until a proper native word processor, or a port of another word processor or office suite can be completed.

Thanks for your willingness to donate toward a bounty to get us a native MorphOS3.x word processor, or office suite. As soon as the choice is made and a bounty is set up, I will also donate toward it (much smaller amount of course).

[ Edited by amigadave 21.09.2012 - 21:53 ]
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »22.09.12 - 06:47
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Fraggle
    Don`t worry, I know what I`m doing - the only person who has actually received money from me me is Mark Olsen (who I think we can trust:-)

As well as the 1000 euro I put in the EAUE-JIT bounty which I consider `safe`.

Frags
    Fraggle
  • »22.09.12 - 06:56
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    I think for Finalwriter it would be worth to collect an ammount community wide. It's a good program and if sources would be made available that could really lead to something. (if it doesn't work with FW, replace the word "Finalwriter" with "Wordworth" and do the same).

The Papyrus Office thing has probably some legal issues. AFAIK Titan only had a permission for porting, they are probably not authorized to hand out sources.

Cinnamon is pretty basic and it's progression is rather slow. But Mr. Desler is interested in versions for MorphOS and AROS though. A while ago I got access to some sourcecode files of CW and took a look into getting it to MorphOS, but actually had my difficulties with it and messed up a few things and decided to retry that (maybe) a bit later again.

Scriba is developing fast, but still at a very early stage. Best thing to help Carsten is probably testing his releases and giving feedback.
    --
    http://via.bckrs.de

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
    ...and Matthias , my friend - RIP
  • »22.09.12 - 09:29
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Fraggle
    No reply yet but I could do with help contacting the FW people if anyone has any leads.
    Fraggle
  • »22.09.12 - 10:11
    guruman
    Fraggle,
    Quote:

I want to go for stuff we REALLY need like drivers and essential apps etc...

If that's your intention, I am sure a lot of people would appreciate a push for the development of drivers for wireless connection on Macs (most notably, for the PowerBooks)...

Kind regards,
    Andrea

[ Edited by guruman 22.09.2012 - 18:49 ]
  • »22.09.12 - 18:48
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    According to the info that Fab presented a while ago at a meeting, support for the Airport (Extreme) is supposed to be planned for, and might already be started.

I don't know if more money will accelerate this work, like it apparently has for the R300 3D driver development.

I do agree that having a MorphOS3.x driver for the Airport Extreme cards inside the 1.67GHz G4 PowerBook's would be a great addition to have finished for the next version of MorphOS3.x, or some version soon after the next version. But since I have already purchased two other wireless networking solutions that I can use with my G4 PowerBook, having the Airport Extreme inside the G4 PowerBook (and G4 MacMini), is not such an urgent priority for me personally anymore.

I think I would rather have a great word processor, or office suite running native on MorphOS3.1.
  • »22.09.12 - 21:45
  • Just looking around
    EDanaII
    Java? C#? An investment in either of those would go a long way in getting you such and much more.

I'm sure it's not as simple as that -- is it ever? -- but that's certainly something I'd like to see.

Ed.
  • »22.09.12 - 22:30
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    EDanaII wrote:,
    Quote:

Java? C#? An investment in either of those would go a long way in getting you such and much more.

I'm sure it's not as simple as that -- is it ever? -- but that's certainly something I'd like to see.

Good ideas Ed! Better development tools, and Java which would make many other things possible are often over looked.

I don't personally know anything about C#, but I know a lot of people who are using it, so it must be either good, or just popular right now.

Edit: Since there are zero votes so far, I guess I am not the only member here that can't figure out how to vote on this poll?

[ Edited by amigadave 22.09.2012 - 14:28 ]
  • »22.09.12 - 23:26
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    runequester
    yeah, a proper PPC port of final writer that can import/export a few modern standard formats would be killer. Throw in PDF export and I'd be quite happy. Don't need a ton of extra features on top.
    Amiga 1200 and G4 MDD MOS as my main computers.
  • »23.09.12 - 04:53
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > having a MorphOS3.x driver for the Airport Extreme cards inside
    > the 1.67GHz G4 PowerBook's would be a great addition

I'm confident that such driver would work on the 1.5 GHz model currently supported by MorphOS as well.
  • »23.09.12 - 11:29
  • Just looking around
    EDanaII
    @ AmigaDave

Quote:

I don't personally know anything about C#, but I know a lot of people who are using it, so it must be either good, or just popular right now.

C# is a language sponsored by M$ that is not hugely different from Java. This is because they both have C++ as their common inherited syntax. C# has a huge backing because, like Java, a developer can do their job better than they could with C++.

I would love to see either one or both on any nextgen amiga not simply because of their large software base but because they're a lot easier to work with than their predecessors.

My two cents anyway... :)
  • »23.09.12 - 20:48
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Andreas_Wolf wrote:,
    Quote:

> having a MorphOS3.x driver for the Airport Extreme cards inside
    > the 1.67GHz G4 PowerBook's would be a great addition

I'm confident that such driver would work on the 1.5 GHz model currently supported by MorphOS as well.

I am often too lazy to type out obvious parts of my statements. To my knowledge, all Airport Extreme cards are compatible with each other, so a driver for one Airport Extreme will probably support all Airport Extreme cards in all Mac models.

I am not sure your post helped clarify my post to anyone, as I think that everyone here could probably figure out that if the Airport Extreme in the 1.67GHz G4 PowerBook gets supported, and it also supports the Airport Extreme in the 1.5GHz G4 MacMini (which IIRC, I also mentioned in my earlier post), then the Airport Extreme in the 1.5GHz G4 PowerBook, that is currently supported by MorphOS3.1, would also be supported by such an Airport Extreme driver for MorphOS3.x.

[ Edited by amigadave 23.09.2012 - 16:33 ]
  • »24.09.12 - 01:29