AudioEvolution 4 for MorphOS.
Poll: Would you be interested in paying 49e for MorphOS port of AudioEvolution4 ?
Ended on 06.06.2010 - 17:43:36
» yes
78 %
78.05 % (32)
» no
21 %
21.95 % (9)
Total Voters: 41

• MorphOS Developer
    Krashan
    Do you plan to handle MIDI streams in Reggae too? Sounds interesting...

Not exactly. MIDI should be handled with CAMD as usual (I know MorphOS need some decent CAMD implementation, but well). Then, when one has some virtual instrument (in other words - waveform generator) as a Reggae class, this class can also have CAMD interface, so the instrument can be controlled via MIDI. This is how I see it.

The most complicated part is how to create a Reggae filter... Krashan: Could you help me please?

Yes, I can. It will take some time, but I will prioritize "writing Reggae audio filter" tutorial just after the one I'm working on currently. In fact writing such a filter from scratch may be not easy, as you have to deal with all the interfacing and "bookkeeping" of Reggae. However I will prepare a ready skeleton for such a filter, so you can concentrate on DSP code. There are two things, which you can think about just now:

1. Audio samples format. Reggae defines three PCM formats, (read here). You have to implement at least one of them. The best is to support all the three, but Reggae can perform automatic conversion if needed, however obviously if you only support 16-bit integer format and application wants to use floats or 32-bit ints, quailty will be degraded.

2. In-place vs out-of-place processing. Some filters can operate in-place, I mean they can process any (starting from one) number of audio frames, and they are stateless. Such filters do not need any additional buffers. Other filters need such buffers and/or process data in fixed size blocks. Then buffering should be also implemented.

I guess I will start my tutorial from in-place filter, then out-of-place one will follow.
  • »10.05.13 - 19:02
    Profile Visit Website
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    dekanyz
    SunVox is also a nice program. I would love to see it on MOS!
  • »24.05.13 - 16:05
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    clr666
    dekanyz,
    Quote:

SunVox is also a nice program. I would love to see it on MOS!

Author of SunVox live in city near of my city. One guy ask he about port for classic Amiga. Author said about not enough perfomance of classic Amiga for SunVox. I can ask about morphos port, i think.
  • »24.05.13 - 16:28
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    boot_wb,
    Quote:

If you're intereted, try e-mailing Davey - he was happy enough to release the source for the Envy24HT audio drivers when I asked him.

You mean the driver for the card I could not locate anywhere?

That was not that useful.

Then again, I do not want to seem like I am dissing Davey.
    I wish he had had more luck when he was selling the software.

Pretty sharp guy that can write a driver for an OS he is not that familiar with.
    "Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »24.05.13 - 20:23
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    dekanyz
    Quote:

I can ask about morphos port, i think.

That would be great... or at least a PPC Linux binary. ;-)
  • »24.05.13 - 22:09
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Pretty sharp guy that can write a driver for an OS he is not that familiar with.

This may be due to AHI being the same on all Amiga-like systems.
  • »24.05.13 - 23:38
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Well, I can not offer to ship a heavy thing like an MDD to Russia. I did ship a 1.42 GHz G4 processor card to Moscow last year though. Man, things have changed. When I was growing up something like that would have got me arrested by the CIA. I guess in some ways we live in a better world.
    "Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »25.05.13 - 01:34
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    boot_wb
    @Jim

I'm not into audio processing, so haven't played around with AE4, but I don't think it's tied to just those sound cards - Soundblaster, audigy, etc should all work with it afaik.
    The cards aren't that common, but aren't that rare. I've had several from the list since the drivers were released, mostly costing around £20 via Ebay.
    They are good quality cards though - worth paying the extra price for the improved audio quality imo. Just nowhere near as common as Soundblaster/Audigy.

Ebay really hasn't helped with finding items by eg part number since they disabled wildcard searching (ie you can no longer search for 'envy24ht' by entering 'envy24*'). Finding specific products by part number is generally a nightmare now.
    www.hullchimneyservices.co.uk

UI: Powerbook 5,6 (1.67GHz, 128MB VRam): OS3.1, OSX 10.5.8
    HTPC: Mac Mini G4 (1,5GHz, 64MB VRam): OS3.1 (ZVNC)
    Audiophile: Efika 5200b (SB Audigy): OS3.1 (VNC + Virtual Monitor)

Windows free since 2011!
  • »25.05.13 - 10:51
    Profile Visit Website
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    boot_wb
    Quote:

When I was growing up something like that would have got me arrested by the CIA.

As little as 13 years ago, if you believe Apple's marketing hype. ;-)
    http://www.realworldtech.com/apple-power-failure/4/
    www.hullchimneyservices.co.uk

UI: Powerbook 5,6 (1.67GHz, 128MB VRam): OS3.1, OSX 10.5.8
    HTPC: Mac Mini G4 (1,5GHz, 64MB VRam): OS3.1 (ZVNC)
    Audiophile: Efika 5200b (SB Audigy): OS3.1 (VNC + Virtual Monitor)

Windows free since 2011!
  • »25.05.13 - 10:56
    Profile Visit Website