Poll: Would you be interested in paying 49e for MorphOS port of AudioEvolution4 ?
Ended on 06.06.2010 - 16:43:36
» yes
78 %
78.05 % (32)
» no
21 %
21.95 % (9)
Total Voters: 41

• MorphOS Developer
    Krashan
    Do you plan to handle MIDI streams in Reggae too? Sounds interesting...

Not exactly. MIDI should be handled with CAMD as usual (I know MorphOS need some decent CAMD implementation, but well). Then, when one has some virtual instrument (in other words - waveform generator) as a Reggae class, this class can also have CAMD interface, so the instrument can be controlled via MIDI. This is how I see it.

The most complicated part is how to create a Reggae filter... Krashan: Could you help me please?

Yes, I can. It will take some time, but I will prioritize "writing Reggae audio filter" tutorial just after the one I'm working on currently. In fact writing such a filter from scratch may be not easy, as you have to deal with all the interfacing and "bookkeeping" of Reggae. However I will prepare a ready skeleton for such a filter, so you can concentrate on DSP code. There are two things, which you can think about just now:

1. Audio samples format. Reggae defines three PCM formats, (read here). You have to implement at least one of them. The best is to support all the three, but Reggae can perform automatic conversion if needed, however obviously if you only support 16-bit integer format and application wants to use floats or 32-bit ints, quailty will be degraded.

2. In-place vs out-of-place processing. Some filters can operate in-place, I mean they can process any (starting from one) number of audio frames, and they are stateless. Such filters do not need any additional buffers. Other filters need such buffers and/or process data in fixed size blocks. Then buffering should be also implemented.

I guess I will start my tutorial from in-place filter, then out-of-place one will follow.
  • »10.05.13 - 18:02
    Profile Visit Website