• Targhan
    @Oepabakkes

I don't know if that (using MorphOS's built in JIT engine) would really work. It would seem that to get e-uae to use the built in engine that e-uae would have to be 68k based itself... However, I seem to remember with Amithlon there was something that forced calls to the Paula chip to go through AHI.

To me, this indicates that if 100% emulation is desired, then an emulation layer is the prescription. Any OS can be considered layered, and the slick part of the classic Amiga was that there were shortcuts to the hardware throughout the OS (the younger generation can relate DirectX to the design of the original AmigaDOS). Thus, if we have an emulation "layer" sitting behind the Amiga calls, then we can intercept all of the hardware calls. That would get the 68k calls to MorphOS's JIT, Paula to AHI, and we'de need something to live between the gfx driver and UAE as well. I think if done this way, it would be doable, as this layer could be integrated to the OS in way similar to the way WinXP has the checkmarks for application compatability in the icon-properties tab. IE, run a program, if it doesn't work right natively then tick on the checkmark from "info" and activate the E-UAE layer....

With all of that said, I do have to bring back Neko's questioning of the ultimate purpose of such: what real benefit is there to be gained beyond access to 20-year-old games?
    :idea:Targhan

MorphOS portal? www.MorphZone.org
  • »28.01.09 - 17:33
    Profile Visit Website