• Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Jupp3
    Quote:

mlDonkey.. I think, it's not a torrent 'client' at all (viewing the status of a download with a browser? No, thanks).

Umm, why does it need to "be a torrent client" as long as it can download torrents?

You can (sort of) imitate the look of btdownloadcurses (bittorrent client) by using mldonkey via its telnet interface instead of the "more eyecandy" browser interface.

My opinion:
    mldonkey still loads most torrents without problems. Most of the time there's no need for any GUI at all, and it can "just work in the background". If you need to see the status, you can either 1) Use browser interface. 2) use Telnet interface. 3) Check incoming drawer for completed files.

bittorrent client: It can resume transfers (unlike what you say) but resuming files "faster than it takes to restart entire download" it requires you to set HOME. I think that's explained in other threads.

Yes, the hashing files is EXTREMELY slow (like I said, usually it's faster to re-download the entire file, no matter how many hundreds of megabytes it is) and checking downloaded segments is slow too. I'm not sure, but I guess that problem might be "MOS<1.5 specific" as some people (most specifically those behind the port) don't have those problems.

imho, instead of this bounty, a better choice would be a bounty for MUI GUI for mldonkey. It has a separate interface for GUI (like it has for browser and telnet) - it's just that no-one has yet written a MUI GUI for it. There is a GUI for old version, that uses Telnet interface (for some weird reason) but the bad thing is that, it doesn't work on any of the newer versions anymore...
  • »27.07.06 - 09:59
    Profile Visit Website