gunne
    Hi,

Here is my point of views on this. And to Sonic too.

What the bounty description says:

------------------------------------
    Basic: write, convert, or otherwise get a native tcp/ip stack for MorphOS.

Long: Connectivity to the internet. Compatible with applications using BSDSocket.library. Must support DHCP, have a MUI or other GUI that includes all necessary classes or use default MorphOS 1.4.5 classes. Networking protocoll can be a port of an existing project from another platform, a port from AROS, or even a whole new project.
    ------------------------------------

I would like to say, its not a very detailed description. This is maybe something to learn for future, to write more detailed bounty descriptions of what the goal, and what should be implemented in the software.

What I can read out from the above description is: TCP-stack that runs on MorphOS 1.4.5 - Compatible with applications using BSDSocket.library - DHCP - GUI.

# The TCP-stack runs on MorphOS 1.4.5

# It is Compatible with applications using BSDSocket.library

# It has a DHCP client

# It has a GUI

For the speed part, I get around 7Mb/s in download from the linux-computer, 5-6Mb/s in upload. Its about the same results as if using Miami. The transfer rate should of course be 10Mb/s as thats what the network capacity is. I have myself never got that result within MorphOS. Maybe Ralph Schmidts TCP-stack will make it this. Dont know as I never used it myself.

As for the GUI, the GUI only consist of a Miami Panel, where you can see traffic and put the interface on/offline. Nothing else can be made in this GUI. However the bounty description doesn't specify what should be possible to do in the GUI, or does it ?

As for the MiamiDX GUI, its GUI is a really advanced GUI, where you can do a lot of things. In matter of fact You can do everything in the GUI in controlling of Your TCP-stack. It is not many GUI's out there for any TCP-stack or on any platform where you can control everything so detailed as you can do in the MiamiDX GUI. It is really a very great GUI in my opinion. You can also easely control several networks configurations independently of each other in the MiamiDX GUI.

I think however the aim with the request for a GUI in the bounty description can be seen as expecting little bit more then what the Miami Panel thats present for now offers. Also Sonic did write when he releassed version 1.0 that he would like to work on some more parts.

------------------------
    Quoting here:

And now some words about the future.
    - Now the project is able to move forward in any direction you would like. Some tasks can be done on a free basis, some of them (large ones) require some sponsorship.
    - A free projects (will be done by me in any case):
    - 1. TCP protorol upgrade to support T/TCP and window resizing.
    - 2. Configuration editor.
    - 3. Implementing missing miami.library functions - is done per request. If you find some software which generates "Not implemented" messages in the syslog, please tell me about this and it'll be fixed.
    ------------------------

However I think expecting that the GUI (configuration editor) to be as good as the MiamiDX GUI, is to expect little to much, at least for now.

So finally I think it was not wrong too give the bounty funds to Sonic for his work with the TCP-stack. At least there is a TCP-stack now, that anyone can use. The software can only become better I think.

[ Edited by gunne on 2006/4/8 17:00 ]
    Best wishes, Gunne
  • »08.04.06 - 16:55
    Profile Visit Website