• Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Well, well, well. If you want to have a local host name you have to define it in three places:
    1. In "hosts" file: your local IP to host mapping.
    2. In General.config: this actually sets your name (reported by "hostname".
    3. In resolv.conf you add your local domain name (if you have a local network then you know it or ask your admin; if your computer is alone you can simply invent it).
    The actual reason for the resolver delay is: your host name or your domain name (defined in resolv.conf) doesn't actually resolve. Your DNS server can't resolve it and just forwards the request further until some of root DNS servers finds the answer or all chain gives up (this takes significant amount of time).
    The simplest way to fix this (if you don't want to bother about all details): just remove domain names from resolv.conf. I am sorry for this, i've included the complete config, not minimal one. To tell the truth i didn't know that most of users are not familiar with UNIX. Okay, as i've said i'll attempt to write a better documentation with some HOWTO for 1.1 release. At least i'll describe configuration in details. Buf first let me finish TCP upgrade and test it.

About DHCP: settings obtained via DHCP (nameservers and domains) are *MERGED* with static ones read from config files, they do not overwrite them. So remember to erase any settings which are invalid for you. I've done this in order to improve flexibility.

[ Edited by Sonic on 2006/5/17 10:32 ]
    iPod, iBook, iMac,... iRobot?
  • »17.05.06 - 08:28
    Profile Visit Website