• MorphOS Developer
    CISC
    Quote:

My point is that when you step up to the plate and say 'I'll take on that bounty' and then start working on it, then provide screenshots which get more donators hyped enough to send in money (which is exactly what's happened here) then start going 'oh well maybe I'll just give up and sell this instead' then it is kinda like grabbing the base at the last second and walking away. It IS breaking a promise. By that rationale, Amiga never promised anything either..

Those are quite different things though .. if that happens no-one is really ripped off .. the coder leaves with nothing but his/her hard work, and the donators still have alot of money saved up for anyone else willing to do the job per terms.

Quote:

But, the fact is that he's been on it since 2005, so no one else (possibly who coulda completed it?) started working on it instead. If he does quit now, that puts the bounty and its prize a YEAR BEHIND where it woulda been if he'd just not done it and let someone else take the bounty. That's frustrating.

Sure, it might be frustrating, but you can't really blame the person if that happens. There might be a number of reasons for someone to quit a bounty, and usually it's because the situation changed, either the money to work ratio didn't turn out as expected, or there was some other major obstacle that made the person re-evaluate everything, either being perfectly reasonable excuses to quit the bounty. This might be equally frustrating to both parties, those that donated don't get what they hoped for (but they might if someone else takes on the bounty again), and neither does whoever accepted the bounty, however this person might have put in alot of hard work on this project so can't really be blamed for wanting to move on with it elsewhere...

- CISC

[ Edited by CISC on 2006/8/1 18:32 ]
  • »01.08.06 - 18:30